Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 30, 2014 1:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Scott Radio repairs house!
PostPosted: Mar Sun 25, 2012 10:53 pm 

OK, it was a piece of a Scott radio that repaired a potentially very serious problem. While sitting on the throne this morning I got a preview of the forthcoming shower a room away. Initially I thought my nerves were just waking up but upon inspection I found that water was dripping from the top to the bottom of the windowsill. The window is well protected from the elements by an overhanging eve. A subsequent inspection of the attic an hour later confirmed that there was a leak in the cement tile roof. Several more hours later when the rain let up I inspected the roof from on top to find that one tile below the juncture of an overhang and a valley drain had migrated over the last 20-years allowing runoff from the upper portion of the roof to enter under the migrated tile. For reasons unknown to me I was only able pound the migrated tile half way back leaving a half void at the entry point. Enter the Scott radio... or at least the part. From an AW-23 parts chassis I had salvaged the lead shield inside of a rechromed tuning capacitor shield. The lead shield had not been removed prior to replating hence it had been eroded by the stripping process and exhibited a combination of exposed copper and nickel plating. Worried that this plating may peel at some time and cause problems, I replaced the lead shield with an original, undamaged lead shield before reusing the tuning capacitor shield. The salvaged lead shield was relegated to the scrap metal heap... until today. As is standard practice for roofing, I reformed and employed the lead shield to cover the void. Now I have a copper, nickel, cement tile roof!

Norman

Post subject: Re: Scott Radio repairs house!
PostPosted: Mar Mon 26, 2012 5:09 am 

Braithwaite wrote:
Worried that this plating may peel at some time and cause problems, I replaced the lead shield with an original, undamaged lead shield before reusing the tuning capacitor shield. The salvaged lead shield was relegated to the scrap metal heap... until today. As is standard practice for roofing, I reformed and employed the lead shield to cover the void. Now I have a copper, nickel, cement tile roof!

E. H. Scott - is there anything he *can't* do?

Brett