Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 26, 2014 6:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Buying radios from overseas
PostPosted: Apr Sat 28, 2012 3:22 am 

I would like to hear from any one who has any experiance in buying radios overseas. I have an offer on a GE J620-large table top from a gent in the UK but having it shipped scares the heck out of me. I know he would package it great but the postal services in both our
countries worry me . I could wait longer and hope for one to pop up or buy this one in mint working condition. What do you think? I appreciate any feedback anyone would have for me!!!

Lynn

Post subject: Re: Buying radios from overseas
PostPosted: Apr Sat 28, 2012 9:17 am 

philcolynn wrote:
I know he would package it great

Exactly how do you know this for sure?

PostPosted: Apr Sat 28, 2012 4:22 pm 

Make sure there are no Western Union payments involved. It is not uncommon for scammers ro reply to wanted ads, specially from overseas.

Frank

PostPosted: Apr Sat 28, 2012 5:41 pm 

I have purchased a number of radio from Europe and at least a dozen from the New Zealand / Austrailia area and only one of them has arrived with any damage at all. All the sellers were very mindful of the packing of the radios and the only one damaged was because there was a sharp object that struck the radio and went through the box and through the speaker / grill cloth / cabinet. I fixed it but would have preferred not to have had to.
s
If the radio is packed well it doesn't matter if its going one state, across the entire United States or across the Atlantic ocean. Good packing is good packing and distance doesn't mean it will get there any more (or less) damaged.
Conversely, if the radio is packed poorly...it could be travelling a hundred miles and still be damaged.

Its a crap shoot every time you buy a radio and have it shipped. You can minimalize the potential by having the seller / shipper pack it well and have it insured (just in case)

good luck with your purchase

~jeff~

PostPosted: Apr Sat 28, 2012 8:23 pm 

I buy a lot of radios from overseas. The damage rate is probably 90%. Seriously. Most European sellers don't have a clue what it takes to pack something for a trip like that. From the UK, you could probably use FedEx, which is what I usually do from there. At least you don't have to worry about weirdness with FedEx. It will show up in 2-3 days, most likely. I've had half a dozen radios come from the UK this way.

I mostly buy big old wood radios, and they're rough anyway. The damage doesn't exactly bug me if it's in the wood cabinet, because I can fix it. The big problem is glass dials, which are unobtanium. By far the worst is the French postal service, Colissimo. Almost everything is broken. Then again, it doesn't help when the radio is wrapped in an old blanket!

I had 3 radios sent from Spain a month ago, and they all made it OK. The carrier was DHL, who is still active in Europe and will deliver in the USA. You just can't use them for domestic shipping anymore.

Good luck...

Peter

PostPosted: Apr Sun 29, 2012 3:43 am 

@ FIFTIES I hope, as a fellow collector he would do a great packaging job but your right I don't know for 100% sure!!

Can I ask then dose anyone know a radio collector named Williams Jerkinson from Black Pool
UK? If You don't want to say any thing here PM me. For me, it would be alot of money and I just don't want to get ripped off or have the radio trashed in shipping. Just real unsure on what to do?????? :? :?

Lynn

PostPosted: Apr Sun 29, 2012 3:56 am 

I don't know him - but with a name like Jerkinson - and from "Black Pond"..... sounds like the cards are already stacked against you.....

Is this the same model??? (from RadioMuseum)

If so, I've seen a few of those over the years and (with a little patience) it shouldn't be too difficult to find in the US. Post a want ad in the classifieds on this forum - you may get lucky and won't have to worry about international shipping.....

PostPosted: Apr Sun 29, 2012 6:32 am 

philcolynn wrote:
@ FIFTIES I hope, as a fellow collector he would do a great packaging job but your right I don't know for 100% sure!!

Can I ask then dose anyone know a radio collector named Williams Jerkinson from Black Pool
UK? If You don't want to say any thing here PM me. For me, it would be alot of money and I just don't want to get ripped off or have the radio trashed in shipping. Just real unsure on what to do?????? :? :?

Lynn

Is this guy selling via eBay, or how was the contact made? It would be helpful to you to know something about his rep, and the usual way is by feedback. Also, what payment method is he asking you to use?

Would you want to post a scan of the set, and state the price he is asking? The more we know, the better to try to assist you in your decision. It may be way overpriced, or one helluva bargain (and therefore worth more of a risk to take).

PostPosted: Apr Mon 30, 2012 1:45 am 

jgj6331 wrote:
I don't know him - but with a name like Jerkinson - and from "Black Pond"..... sounds like the cards are already stacked against you.....

I would stay away from this guy. Just for interest's sake I googled his name, and it showed up in a Fiat forum. Looks like a scammer to me. Here's the link:

http://forum.fiatspider.com/f08/viewtop ... &sk=t&sd=a

The town of Blackpool (not Black Pond) does exist. It's famous for its tower and illuminations.

Colin

PostPosted: Apr Mon 30, 2012 2:48 am 

Fifties and everyone, I got an email from this gent he said he saw my classified on this forum.
You can see a picture of it at his web address below. The web site says Mikes hobbys and he dose have a few nice radios. Just wish someone had done business with him before and the more I think about it, I don't want to do the deal. Cost would be about $300.00 may not be alot for the average collector but a good chuck for me. We have not talked about payment method or shipping service yet! Check his website and any more help you can send my way would be appreciated.

http://msholden.com

Lynn

PS Yes I did catch that the web site says Mikes Hobbys and the name he gave was Williams Jerkenson!! :?

PostPosted: Apr Mon 30, 2012 3:00 am 

$300??? :shock: .... Not for that radio..... $50 tops in my estimation....

PostPosted: Apr Mon 30, 2012 3:04 am 

J-620 is not uncommon in US/Canada. I wouldn't buy one from overseas with the additional costs, etc.

No comment on the legitimacy of the seller but my initial sniff test results would put me off.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 30, 2012 3:12 am 

Lynn,

since you say he contacted you based on your WTB ad, he obviously reads on the board, and perhaps is a member here as well. Ask him if he is, and if so, what his user nic is.

Also ask what payment method he prefers, what shipping method he would use, exactly how he would pack it, and what assurance you have that you will receive the goods as described. Since he contacted you, it's up to him to verify his credentials.

It looks like he does have labor involved in having completely stripped it down and in the rebuilding of it.

AFA the relative value, perhaps others could offer an estimate. Based on that, you could bargain the price with him. Nothing obligates you, including asking, "would you take X dollars for it?".

EDIT; after looking at the previous two posts, made while I was typing, perhaps best to pass on this one after all.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 30, 2012 2:35 pm 

This entire thread screamed scam right from the start. M S Holden at Comcast dot net would not be in the UK. His spelling is as bad as Mr. Williams Jerkinson, who apparently can't spell his own name. I don't know about rarity, but I agree that is a $50 radio in my eyes too. The Fiat link clinches it.
Marty

PostPosted: Apr Mon 30, 2012 4:27 pm 

Colin A. wrote:
jgj6331 wrote:

I would stay away from this guy. Just for interest's sake I googled his name, and it showed up in a Fiat forum. Looks like a scammer to me. Here's the link:

http://forum.fiatspider.com/f08/viewtop ... &sk=t&sd=a

The town of Blackpool (not Black Pond) does exist. It's famous for its tower and illuminations.

Colin

8) Colin deserves a huge High Five for saving Lynn $300 ...... The scumbag scammer "jerkinson" has been thwarted , , this time .....

But rest assured , slime like him WILL pop up again , most likely with a nice new "clean" name .........

Funny , , , he obviously reads here , he said he saw Lynn's wanted ad here , but yet hasn't come into the thread to try to defend himself ???

I hope the next person "jerkinson" rips off is 6'5" 280 pounds and pays ol Jerkinson" a visit :wink:

Just the name , , , "jerkinson" , , , Has my Gump senses screaming "Run Forest , RUN !!!" ....... In 60 odd years of life , I've seen ALOT of weird surnames , , But "jerkinson" ???? , , , , Not ONCE have I ever seen that surname . Anywhere ! .....

PostPosted: Apr Mon 30, 2012 4:40 pm 

Well guys Blackpool is real i spent holidays there as a child but the surname Jerkinson ?
LOL thats not a British name ive ever heard of and i lived there 37 years and seen some strange names in my time.
Id run away from him definate con artist.

I lived in Huddersfield in the UK about 70miles from Blackpool.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 30, 2012 6:57 pm 

I agree....run, run away from this deal! $300 is far too much for this radio. It's not that uncommon, one will turn up at a swap or on e-Bay for $50.

Peter

PostPosted: May Tue 01, 2012 1:10 am 

Jerkinson is a real surname, Google showed results of that name being used in both the UK and the USA. That said, in all my 50 years, never have I ever encountered said surname.

For info regarding the website you mention, again, use google and do a whois search on the web address (URL).

A tip to avoid being scammed - if you can get a telephone number - a landline, not a cell phone number, you can tap that into here: http://www.411phonesearch.co.uk/

Remember that only works for phone numbers in the UK ;)

PostPosted: May Tue 01, 2012 4:00 am 

Guys, I turned down his offer and thanked him for his time! It never felt right from the beginning but I needed to ask and learn this very valuable lesson!!! I can't thank everyone
enough for all the info and what to look for! I know there are real overseas radio dealers but this one is just wrong in so many ways! I will wait for one here in the USA!

HUGE THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED ME OUT!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Lynn