Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: The Souvenir Shop :: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Fri 25, 2014 5:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nikola Tesla--visionary
PostPosted: May Fri 04, 2012 10:10 pm 

I'm on one of my Tesla kicks again. Check this out--it's from an article written almost exactly 100 years ago--New-York Tribune Sunday Magazine, March 3, 1912--

What is this device he's describing? Sounds like a cell phone to me.
--------------------
The general term "World Telegraphy" has been suggested for Tesla's scheme of intelligence transmission, although "World Aërophony" would be as applicable, since his system will make it as practicable to talk as to telegraph through or around the globe, and as easily to a person using his aërophone at the antipodes as one in an office in the next block. Nor will it require a great, unwieldy contrivance for sending either aërograph or aërophone messages; such, for instance, as required in the present wireless system. Instead, Tesla assures us, for this purpose a small, cheap and extremely simple device, so compact and portable that it may be set up or held in one's hands anywhere on land or sea while it sends through intermediary transmitting plants messages to any part of the terrestrial universe, or receives such special messages as may be intended for it, or records the news of the world as constantly dispatched from the various news distributing stations.
--------------------------

Post subject: Re: Nikola Tesla--visionary
PostPosted: May Fri 04, 2012 10:47 pm 

The guy was certainly one of the best of the visionaries of his time. Perhaps the best. I don't know why Edison got so much credit at the time. Tesla was by far and away ahead of everyone else. I recently read a biography of his life, he changed the world.

Jerry

PostPosted: May Fri 04, 2012 10:53 pm 

Almost sounds like ham radio with repeaters. The only book I have on Tesla is "Tesla: Master of Lightning" by Margaret Cheney and Robert Uth. Barnes & Noble print, which may be out of print. If you can find it, buy it...
Edison was pushing DC power but Tesla was pushing AC...big rivalry. That is also covered in the book.
RW

PostPosted: May Fri 04, 2012 10:55 pm 

Speaking of Edison, I was watching a Ken Burns documentary on the history of America. When they got to the part of the electrification of America, they said Edison invented the light bulb and then built power plants all across America. Umm, Edison's DC generation didn't pan out. Tesla's polyphase generation system did. I've kind of lost my respect for Ken Burns.
[EDIT]
wiz--you beat me to it!

PostPosted: May Fri 04, 2012 10:57 pm 

JerryHawthorne wrote:
The guy was certainly one of the best of the visionaries of his time. Perhaps the best. I don't know why Edison got so much credit at the time. Tesla was by far and away ahead of everyone else. I recently read a biography of his life, he changed the world.
To put it mildly, we are all reading this thanks to Nikola Tesla.

Edison was totaly stuck on DC motors, generators and power transmission, while it was Tesla who developed polyphase AC power generation and transmission.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: May Fri 04, 2012 11:11 pm 

Edison was a genius in his own right, maybe more in the vein of a Henry Ford. He knew how to translate ideas into things that people wanted.

Tesla was a visionary. Way ahead of his time. Perhaps more in the vein of an Einstein.

It is interesting to note that Tesla's wireless transmission of energy may have been responsible for the mysterious Tunguska, Siberia explosion of 1908. Below is an excerpt from http://prometheus.al.ru/english/phisik/ ... nguska.htm

In the period from 1900 to 1910 Tesla's creative thrust was to establish his plan for wireless transmission of energy. Undercut by Marconi's accomplishment, beset by financial problems, and spurned by the scientific establishment, Tesla was in a desperate situation by mid-decade. The strain became too great by 1906-1907 and, according to Tesla biographers, he suffered an emotional collapse.(28),(29) In order to make a final effort to have his grand scheme recognized, he may have tried one high power test of his transmitter to show off its destructive potential. This would have been in 1908.

The Tunguska event took place on the morning of June 30th, 1908. An explosion estimated to be equivalent to 10-15 megatons of TNT flattened 500,000 acres of pine forest near the Stony Tunguska River in central Siberia. Whole herds of reindeer were destroyed. Several nomadic villages were reported to have vanished. The explosion was heard over a radius of 620 miles. When an expedition was made to the area in 1927 to find evidence of the meteorite presumed to have caused the blast, no impact crater was found. When the ground was drilled for pieces of nickel, iron, or stone, the main constituents of meteorites, none were found down to a depth of 118 feet.

Several explanations have been given for the Tunguska event. The officially accepted version is that a 100,000 ton fragment of Encke's Comet, composed mainly of dust and ice, entered the atmosphere at 62,000 mph, heated up, and exploded over the earth's surface creating a fireball and shock wave but no crater. Alternative explanations of the disaster include a renegade mini-black hole or an alien space ship crashing into the earth with the resulting release of energy.

Associating Tesla with the Tunguska event comes close to putting the inventor's power transmission idea in the same speculative category as ancient astronauts. However, historical facts point to the possibility that this event was caused by a test firing of Tesla's energy weapon.

In 1907 and 1908, Tesla wrote about the destructive effects of his energy transmitter. His Wardenclyffe facility was much larger than the Colorado Springs device that destroyed the power station's generator. Then, in 1915, he stated bluntly:

It is perfectly practical to transmit electrical energy without wires and produce destructive effects at a distance. I have already constructed a wireless transmitter which makes this possible. ... But when unavoidable [it] may be used to destroy property and life. The art is already so far developed that the great destructive effects can be produced at any point on the globe, defined beforehand with great accuracy (emphasis added).(30)

He seems to confess to such a test having taken place before 1915, and, though the evidence is circumstantial, Tesla had the motive and the means to do so.

PostPosted: May Fri 04, 2012 11:20 pm 

The Margaret Cheney book is now available on Kindle and other e-formats. I am reading it now and it is a combination of triumph and tragedy that I never could have realized. Everyone should read it imo.

-Bill

www.billsradioden.shutterfly.com

PostPosted: May Fri 04, 2012 11:22 pm 

Batteries for pacemakers and drug pumps are charged by induction. Sounds like wireless transfer of energy to me.

PostPosted: May Sat 05, 2012 12:06 am 

What I'm wondering is why he is swept beneath the rug of history so much? It's not like his acomplishments were insignificant, quite the contrary. He wasn't a bad or selfish person either, acording to what I've read.

I can see JP Morgan and the other capitalists wanting to support their team but 100 years have passed..

PostPosted: May Sat 05, 2012 12:25 am 

Did you know that some of Tesla's papers are still held as "top secret" by your government. They have only released what is "suitable for public viewing"

PostPosted: May Sat 05, 2012 2:14 am 

Tubenut...I've heard that before...that Cheney-Uth book is fascinating. I think I've read it at least 4 times since I bought it. Lots of great pictures as well. Although the famous picture on the back cover with Tesla reading a book under an operating tesla coil was a double exposure.
He got short shrift on inventing a radio system as well. I think he finally got credit for it through the court system. Would have to read the appropriate chapter.
RW

PostPosted: May Sat 05, 2012 3:38 am 

The Tesla v. Marconi decisions exquisitely demonstrate the corruption of the patent office, which has only escalated. Saying that is not "political" because it is not subject to voting or who is in office.

Edison "invented" the tattoo gun and the corporate press event. Otherwise, he packaged the work of others marketably. Tesla invented the 20th century. Edison gets the recognition for being a showman while Tesla was a recluse. Life ain't fair.

PostPosted: May Sat 05, 2012 3:51 am 

Quote:
However, historical facts point to the possibility that this event was caused by a test firing of Tesla's energy weapon.

Where can I find these "historical facts?" I worked for Westinghouse and Tesla put our company in business with AC and polyphase, but I don't necessarily accept all of the Tesla lore.

Rich

PostPosted: May Sat 05, 2012 4:04 am 

JerryHawthorne wrote:
The guy was certainly one of the best of the visionaries of his time. Perhaps the best. I don't know why Edison got so much credit at the time. Tesla was by far and away ahead of everyone else. I recently read a biography of his life, he changed the world.Jerry

Edison had a better "PR" guy...

PostPosted: May Sat 05, 2012 4:30 am 

Location: Dallas, TX - in the city but with bobcats and coyotes
I think that the OP's quote envisions more than just handheld devices (i.e.: cell phones) connected by repeaters (or MTSOs) but even, perhaps, the information base that we know as the Internet.
IMHO.
:wink:

As well, he was Hungarian. That's cool in itself.
Jeremy Horvath.

PostPosted: May Sat 05, 2012 4:46 am 

When Edison was pushing his DC power on everyone, he did a few "experiments" with Teslas AC power, mainly killing animals by electrocution to prove AC was dangerous.. However DC worked and served its purpose, but required large wire and multiple sub stations.. where as AC didnt need nearly as many and used smaller wire.. However Tesla wanted to take it a step further by creating "wireless" electricity... but when he had that theory, he was basically thought to be a "nut-job".. (i learn alot from the history channel..lol)

PostPosted: May Sat 05, 2012 5:15 am 

There is no need to denigrate the legacy of Edison to praise Tesla. I live down the street from Tesla's lab on LI. Literally. I can walk there in minutes. Not as interesting as it sounds as there is no museum and the property is surrounded by barb wire.

Edison got a lot of PR because he hung out with zillionaires. He was a self taught genius and lacked the mathematics background to understand AC power so he feared it. I squared R losses doomed DC power from the start.

I lost a lot of respect for Edison when he tried to blackball "dangerous AC power". I believe he created the electric chair. I know he electrocuted an adult elephant for public demonstration. That was sick.

PostPosted: May Sat 05, 2012 5:52 am 

Tesla was a visionary and engineer.

Edison was an "inventor" and businessman. He didn't think about things that wouldn't earn money for him. He built factories to make things and then sell them. Tesla used other people's money to finance his experiments... most of which didn't lead to marketable products. Tesla worked for Edison when he first came from Europe, but it was Geo. Westinghouse who hired Tesla and put Tesla's ideas to work.... starting at Niagara Falls.

Tesla had a real understanding of theory and mathematics that Edison lacked, but Tesla was not a businessman and died nearly broke.

Rich

PostPosted: May Sat 05, 2012 3:16 pm 

There is a LOT of misinformation in this thread.

PostPosted: May Sat 05, 2012 3:30 pm 

Alan Douglas wrote:
There is a LOT of misinformation in this thread.
And that surprises you because...?

This thread is little different from any other. There is some good information and some questionable information. Perhaps you could correct those things you consider mis-information?

Frankly, there is a lot of conflicting information regarding Tesla, but a lot of what has been posted here is documented fact. Tesla was the guy who invented or developed a lot of the basics we depend upon today (polyphase AC power generation and transmission). He was also a pioneer in radio, beating Marconi to the punch (something eventually decided in court based on the evidence). He was indeed broke when he died.

Every time I pay an electric bill for a house in California I find it ironic that I pay Southern Cal. "Edison" for supplying the power using a system based upon the designs of Tesla as funded by Westinghouse. While at the same time Edison fought against the very system Southern Cal. Edison uses today.

For what it is worth, I don't think Tesla caused Tunguska. I also have really really serious doubts about the whole electric car story. In addition, I don't think his earthquake machine worked as well as he reported. At the same time I think he was way "smarter than the average bear."

Curtis Eickerman

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 58 posts ]  Moderator: pixellany Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next