Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Wed 26, 2014 6:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Philco refrigerator
PostPosted: May Thu 31, 2012 12:03 am 

Just wanted to share a few pictures of something I dragged home this past weekend. It's a Philco refrigerator, model G-925 - I'm guessing from about 1953 based on some of the ads I've seen. The compressor still runs and it cools nicely. Needs some exterior cosmetic work and a new door gasket, but other than that, it's in good shape.

I love the chrome and aqua accents in the interior. My wife wants this in our kitchen after I do a little work to it. How come they can't make appliances that have eye appeal as well as functionality any more?

PM me for my email address

Post subject: Re: Philco refrigerator
PostPosted: May Thu 31, 2012 12:45 am 

This is quite similar to mine which is smaller. I've had it for about 15 years and I completely resprayed it about 3 years ago. The Philcos are incredibly reliable and you can't even hear them running. I'm sure you will get many, many more years out of it!

PostPosted: May Thu 31, 2012 12:57 am 

FANTASTIC. I love these old fridges. When I'm older and have a house of my own, one of these is on my wish list. How much more electricity do you think they use?
Too cool :D :D :D

PostPosted: May Thu 31, 2012 1:19 am 

That must have been made after Crosley's "Shelvadoor" patents ran out? :wink:

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: May Thu 31, 2012 2:01 am 

radiopicker wrote:
FANTASTIC. I love these old fridges. When I'm older and have a house of my own, one of these is on my wish list. How much more electricity do you think they use?

I can tell you, if the door is sealed properly and the insulation hasn't deteriorated, they use LESS than a modern fridge (regardless of the bad rap that they are given by people trying to sell new ones) and will last a lifetime.

PostPosted: May Thu 31, 2012 2:31 am 

I never knew they used those "crests" on their refrigerators. That really is a great looking unit. Now you have to find some Philco ice cube trays, a Philco ice scraper...I agree that with a little care this should run a lifetime.

PostPosted: May Thu 31, 2012 2:38 am 

Quote:
I can tell you, if the door is sealed properly and the insulation hasn't deteriorated, they use LESS than a modern fridge (regardless of the bad rap that they are given by people trying to sell new ones) and will last a lifetime.

Well that does it, I have to find one for myself :D. Post pictures when it's cleaned up and in the kitchen please!

PostPosted: May Thu 31, 2012 3:29 am 

bgadow wrote:
Now you have to find some Philco ice cube trays

Forgot to mention, it came with two!

PostPosted: May Thu 31, 2012 3:35 am 

Great Fridge!! I love the inside shelves and the aqua blue color!! Yes, please post pictures in the future!!

Nice find!!! :wink:

Lynn

PostPosted: May Thu 31, 2012 5:14 am 

radiopicker wrote:

The standard refrigerators that are not frost free, such as the model shown here use a lot less electricity than the frost free models do.
The freezers that aren't behind a separate external freezer door don't get as cold as do the ones that are in their own segregated compartments.

PostPosted: May Thu 31, 2012 5:43 am 

Interior looks just like one my friend has in his garage. The door on his has the V handle and can open in either direction depending on which way you swing the handle. I have an AMC from the 40's. Still running fine. One thing I heard is to not leave old refrigerators sitting unused for years. All the ones I've seen still going including mine have been running all their lives.

PostPosted: May Thu 31, 2012 4:20 pm 

zenith82 wrote:
radiopicker wrote:

YUP! My old early 50's Montgomery Wards frig uses less then my big double wide Whirlpool.

All pics

http://www.job-rated.com/wardfrig/index.html

PostPosted: Jun Fri 01, 2012 1:18 am 

Read somewhere that moving a fridge (or maybe laying it horizontal in the move), the fridge should be allowed to stand upright undisturbed for a day before plugging it in, to allow the freon to settle down.
Know of another Philco of similar vintage still in use today, though only for secondary beverage duty in the basement, it was a wedding present. The original NG kitchen stove is still in use, that came with the house.

Does that thing have any capacitors that need changing? Recommend an audio grade Russian paper-in-oil surplus cap, surely the ice cubes will taste better, and the milk won't sour.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 01, 2012 3:30 am 

It's likely there is a starter relay built into the thermostat.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 01, 2012 3:55 am 

I don't think they have start caps. As the other post stated, there should be a start relay that drops the start winding as soon as the locked rotor amps (LRA) reduce down to full load amps (FLA). The start relay coil is in series with the run winding of the compressor; under locked rotor, the current draw of the run winding is enough to create a strong magnetic field in the start relay coil. This in turn closes the contacts that energise the start winding. Once the compressor begins to spin, the current draw goes down to normal full load amps and the relay opens, thus disconnecting the start winding from the circuit.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 01, 2012 6:25 am 

Norman Bel Geddes designed radios and refrigerators etc. for Philco, that's why they look so nice.
Don

Someone with less knowledge than I had been in there before ....

PostPosted: Jun Fri 01, 2012 1:13 pm 

Very nice.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 01, 2012 1:36 pm 

Now you will need one of these to go with it.

Attachments:
Philco_42-KR5_Fletcher.jpg
Philco_42-KR5_Fletcher.jpg [ 32.2 KiB | Viewed 3454 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Fri 01, 2012 3:53 pm 

Agree with Pred, that'd sit nicely up top! Beautiful fridge, Zenith. I love it :D
My plans for the house is a 50's kitchen with all 50's appliances. Stove, fridge, mixer, and NO microwave.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 02, 2012 1:34 am 

It's sad that some appliances are just not... what is wanted, nor needed, are expensive actually considering their lifespan, not to mention they provide no appreciable employment here.

Found a Sunbeam toaster from the 50s, it automagically drops the toast, er, bread, down. It is quick, and then pops up. It needed adjustment when I got it. A few minutes search on the interwebs and somebody explained how to "calibrate" it and so on.

Overheard some co-worker complaining about a new washer and dryer they bought, "you know the ones that are energy star", she was complaining that it took over two hours to dry a load of laundry. NOT a happy camper. Doesn't anybody do their homework anymore? We have a nice old Kenmore, maybe they did too, but fell into the trap of buying new instead of repair. It's just sad, again, to see those names like Kenmore and Whirlpool and West Bend, etc, go away or worse, just a name with no connection. Don't live in the past but am not going to put up with crippled and mediocre appliances to satisfy somebodies idea of being hip or trendy.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 26 posts ]  Moderator: pixellany Go to page 1, 2  Next