Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Mon 18, 2018 8:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi guys...Im Dave and want to learn more about electronics.
PostPosted: Nov Sun 08, 2015 5:26 pm 

Hello. A friendly person suggested this forum to me. Said you guys were really nice and helpful.

I'm 45. Been home with a spine injury since 2013. I am on my 2cd multilevel lumbar fusion in the last year and a half. Last one was 2 months ago. I can get out a little...just started back driving a little while ago. I have 18 screws 4 plates. 2 rods and 2 spacers in my back. If I get crabby...its cause Im hurting. I apologize in advance.

I started playing guitar after my injury out of boredom. I was a go go go kinda guy...worked 7 days a week...constantly working and running my business...I did tile and hardwood floors. High end residential stuff. Well...I cant do that anymore....or work on cars or motorcycles much....but I can mess with electronics....ans I have become fascinated with them. Amps...pickups...effects...mixers...mics....love them all.

So I'M here as an Electronics noob.

I listen well.
I'm a quick study.
I solder well.
I have a multi-meter....sure there is a lot I can learn about it I don't know. I can test voltages...ohms....just don't know all the uses.
I am determined and relentless once I choose a hobby/interest.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Post subject: Re: Hi guys...Im Dave and want to learn more about electroni
PostPosted: Nov Sun 08, 2015 5:37 pm 

Welcome.

There are a lot of people here who have enormous amounts of knowledge of electronics and will go to great lengths to share that with us.

There are some who think they know it all but don't.

In any case come here often, ask questions and read past posts.

Let me be the first to mention getting and using an isolation transformer.

Sometimes we get crabby also. Some hurt, some sad and some were just iborn that way.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 08, 2015 5:56 pm 

Thanks. I will look into Isolation transformer. No one has mentioned that.

I'm pretty excited. I have all kinds of projects to learn from in the garage.

I told friends I was interested in fixing stuff,and they know I take great care with things.
So they have loaded me up with broken gear. To keep me busy while healing. cause I was going nuts just watching TV.

Cant wait to learn from you guys.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 08, 2015 6:18 pm 

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum!
I can sympathize with your frustration. I too have been involved in construction all my life and fortunately have always been blessed with good health. I am sure it is hard to not be able to do the things you once did. But working on electronics sounds like a great idea.

Exactly what type of gear do you have in mind for an initial project?

PostPosted: Nov Sun 08, 2015 7:15 pm 

it is important to learn basic safety when testing voltages in circuits so you don't blow yourself up or your test equipment.
also along with an isolation transformer is a 60 watt or 100 watt light bulb connected in series with the piece of equipment that is being tested to be plugged into as the light bulb will carry the load in case of something being shorted and not burn up.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 08, 2015 8:05 pm 

Find army tech manual TM-455. It will give you a good understanding of basic ac & dc theory.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 08, 2015 9:30 pm 

highlux wrote:
Hello. A friendly person suggested this forum to me. Said you guys were really nice and helpful.
Hi Dave, and Welcome Aboard.

Helpful... We try to be.

Nice... DEFINITELY NOT. But you'll get used to it.

If you want a good concise introduction to electronic components and theory, download a copy of the
Radio Amateurs' Handbook, published annually by the American Radio Relay League (ARRL) since ca. 1920.

Free PDF downloads are easy to find.

Get one of the 1950s editions if you're interested in tube electronics (or even if you're not).
Starting in the early 1960s they moved toward transistors and solid-state circuits, so target those if appropriate.

I have several different editions since they evolved over the years, emphasizing different aspects of the craft.
They cover good practical stuff like construction practices and techniques as well as theory.

Enjoy. ;-)

- Leigh

PostPosted: Nov Sun 08, 2015 11:10 pm 

Wait!! I'm nice....

Seriously, welcome to the zoo-----and definitely read some books on basic electricity and electronics, including the usage of basic test equipment. If you can get a mental picture of current flow in various devices, and the relationship between resistance and voltage drop, you will be well on your way.

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)

PostPosted: Nov Sun 08, 2015 11:17 pm 

Hi Dave, can you post some pictures of stuff you want to work on? We are mostly involved with tube gear, hope that;s what your interested in.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 08, 2015 11:21 pm 

Leigh wrote:
highlux wrote:

Helpful... We try to be.

This is FAR AND AWAY the mildest message board of its type, at least that I have been involved with.

Brett

PostPosted: Nov Mon 09, 2015 12:22 am 

Greetings to Dave and the Forum:

Welcome!

Dennis H. writes:
Quote:
There are a lot of people here who have enormous amounts of knowledge of electronics and will go to great lengths to share that with us.

There are some who think they know it all but don't.

I'm not sure where I fit into that spectrum... perhaps halfway between? :D

Case in point.... I remember distinctly that there have been a number of postings describing where one can find complete home study courses on electronics on line for free. These are a bit dated, but come from major outfits like RCA and the guvmint and are excellent with regard to basic theory. However, while I remember that these things exist, I do NOT recall where to find them. Perhaps someone will chime in with some URL's.

Best Wishes,
Jim T.
KB6GM

PostPosted: Nov Mon 09, 2015 1:58 am 

Hi Dave. Also look on YouTube. Look for videos from Badrestorer John I think his YouTube name is joernone or something close. I had my knee replaced in April and watched many of his videos. He had a series where he worked on an AA5 radio that was great for reading schematics. He is very down to earth and very entertaining. Mr. Carlsons lab and buzz951 are good as well. I think buzz and John are my favorites. There are lots of others as well. Good luck with your back.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 09, 2015 3:03 am 

There is quite a bit of free stuff to download available in the archives at the top of the page.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 09, 2015 1:13 pm 

I had to deal with back surgery about 35 years ago, so I can relate. However the good doctor put it back together well, and I get along fine.

One thing you haven't mentioned is your location. One of the best aspects of an electronics hobby is cameraderie. If there is a swap meet nearby, go there and make some friends. In florida we have the Sarasota Radio Meet coming up this Saturday, and the Central Florida Radio Exchange at Mt. Dora in February. Other locales have similar meets coming up; check the Events section of this forum.

Yes, there is much to learn, and we're happy to help. But if you have friends nearby, it can help much more.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 09, 2015 2:55 pm 

Dennis H. wrote:
There are some who think they know it all but don't......

I didn't know that.........:)

Seriously, you will periodically see skirmishes among members who have different viewpoints or interpretations. You can mostly ignore these or you can actually learn from them.

The truly incompetent don't stay around very long.

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)

PostPosted: Nov Mon 09, 2015 3:00 pm 

Hey man,

I'm sure you'll find a lot of great help here on this forum, it never let's you down. Don't worry about asking questions as asking questions is what makes someone knowledgeable.

My tips to you is to start simple. If you wanna start fixing some stuff here and there without knowing all the exact details of what you're doing, have at it. If after that you still want to learn more then go on to the next step. Just don't practice on your best equipment at first. Obviously there are a few things you should learn first such as safety, but don't discourage yourself worrying about all the theory before you get to have some fun.

Same thing goes for equipment, you don't need to have every single toy out there to start doing some pretty cool stuff. You'd be impressed as to how far you can get with the most basic tools.

The exception is of course safety precautions, those you most definitely do want to learn first!

Of course if you do want to do all the reading and toy buying first and that's more to your style, then go ahead and do so.

These are just my tips from my own experience learning electronics and that's what I've found works best for me. Of course I still have lots to learn myself and I still admire and depend on the guys on this forum for their knowledge. Good luck.

Brett_Buck wrote:
Leigh wrote:
highlux wrote:

Helpful... We try to be.

This is FAR AND AWAY the mildest message board of its type, at least that I have been involved with.

Brett

Agreed

PostPosted: Nov Mon 09, 2015 3:58 pm 

tube42 wrote:
My tips to you is to start simple. If you wanna start fixing some stuff here and there without knowing all the exact details of what you're doing, have at it. If after that you still want to learn more then go on to the next step. Just don't practice on your best equipment at first. Obviously there are a few things you should learn first such as safety, but don't discourage yourself worrying about all the theory before you get to have some fun.

Good advice from Carlos, and I agree with him. :) That is exactly the same approach I used when starting out repairing vintage tube gear many years ago. As the challenge (or complexity) of the equipment you are working on increases, this will lead you to seek out the knowledge and information you need. And in the process you will learn a lot about electronic theory.

Expect to make mistakes along the way; we all have. But hopefully we learn from our mistakes and do not repeat them. Just make certain you do not make a mistake regarding safety precautions--sometimes there is not a second chance to learn from these!

PostPosted: Nov Tue 10, 2015 12:54 am 

Welcome Dave. You can't help learning things here. You'll fit in!

(Put your location in the box)

PostPosted: Nov Tue 10, 2015 1:21 am 

Nice... DEFINITELY NOT. But you'll get used to it. :lol: Welcome to the boars, I mean board.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 10, 2015 2:52 am 

Wow....best forum welcome ever!!!

I'm going to re read this post and try and address all the questions.

I have all kinds of goodies to work on....and yes....there are LOTS of tubes!!!

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 22 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next