Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Thu 15, 2018 5:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: IRS phone call scam
PostPosted: May Wed 03, 2017 5:34 pm 

Rocco53 wrote:
Whenever I get a strange phone # I look it up on the "WhoCallsMe" website.
I usually find other people talking about getting calls from the same # and it's always a scam.

I don't see any postings about this # tho, it just says it's from Georgia.

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/2292564974

In order to get around Nomorobo, some scammers just change the caller ID to random numbers for each call, whatever works for them. I simply let those calls go to voicemail, in case it is legit. The scammers rarely leave a message.
My flip phone only shows names for people already in the dial directory, so if I don't see a name, I also let it go to voicemail.

PostPosted: May Wed 03, 2017 6:17 pm 

I just received on of these "IRS" calls the other day, it was a recording saying I owed back taxes and all that nonsense. I was instructed to call another number to get things cleared up. I think if you call the number you get charged a huge phone bill. I don't understand why the phone companies are not more pro-active in stopping these scams, they could easily stop the number spoofing crap. I guess they make money off of the business too.

PostPosted: May Wed 03, 2017 8:29 pm 

Bill Harris wrote:
I just received on of these "IRS" calls the other day, it was a recording saying I owed back taxes and all that nonsense. I was instructed to call another number to get things cleared up. I think if you call the number you get charged a huge phone bill.

Did the other number have an area code outside the U.S.?

PostPosted: May Wed 03, 2017 8:43 pm 

BikenSwim wrote:
fifties wrote:
I contacted Time-Warner a year or more ago, asking about nomorobo, and was told that it didn't work with their service. I assumed that when Spectrum took over, it would simply be a continuation.

Google found the Nov. 9, 2016 press release where Spectrum announced support for Nomorobo, so now you can use it. Things change rapidly in this area https://newsroom.charter.com/press-rele ... -nomorobo/

As soon as I read your post, I called them up, only to find out that it had already been installed and turned on.

I told them it's not doing a very good job, then.

PostPosted: May Wed 03, 2017 9:30 pm 

fifties wrote:
Bill Harris wrote:
I just received on of these "IRS" calls the other day, it was a recording saying I owed back taxes and all that nonsense. I was instructed to call another number to get things cleared up. I think if you call the number you get charged a huge phone bill.

Did the other number have an area code outside the U.S.?

I pushed the call block button before the message finished. If they use another number and call again I will listen and see.

PostPosted: May Wed 03, 2017 9:46 pm 

Google found the Nov. 9, 2016 press release where Spectrum announced support for Nomorobo, so now you can use it.

As soon as I read your post, I called them up, only to find out that it had already been installed and turned on. I told them it's not doing a very good job, then.
---------------
Of course, Charter did their end but YOU never set up an account with Nomorobo and agreed to its terms, and tested it etc. You will know it is working when you get a robocall that stops after only one ring. (The caller ID is sent after the first ring)
Try this from the Time Warner setup page, log into your Charter or Time Warner page and follow these instructions https://nomorobo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a ... ime-Warner

PostPosted: May Thu 04, 2017 3:24 am 

Thx Don. I thought I had already activated the nomorobo account, but just made sure with the test call.

Let's see what happens now.

PostPosted: May Fri 19, 2017 7:18 am 

UPDATE; well, I DID see what happened...My phone has been dead quiet except for my two kids calling me, and a few others who legitimately have my number. I am SO GLAD that the robo call pests have been thwarted!

So a shout out to Diode Don for alerting me! BTW, this ain't the first time he's saved my Bacon, lol. :wink:

PostPosted: May Fri 19, 2017 4:27 pm 

fifties wrote:
UPDATE; well, I DID see what happened...My phone has been dead quiet except for my two kids calling me, and a few others who legitimately have my number. I am SO GLAD that the robo call pests have been thwarted!

So a shout out to Diode Don for alerting me! BTW, this ain't the first time he's saved my Bacon, lol. :wink:

I'm glad I could help. To everyone else, if you have a "VOIP" home phone (any phone from your Cable company or FiOS), go to Nomorobo and sign up for free, you don't have to contact the cable company or anyone else https://www.nomorobo.com/
Don

PostPosted: May Fri 19, 2017 5:30 pm 

Now I'm getting this garbage on my cellphone.

PostPosted: May Sat 20, 2017 3:31 am 

BikenSwim wrote:
fifties wrote:

I'm glad I could help. To everyone else, if you have a "VOIP" home phone (any phone from your Cable company or FiOS), go to Nomorobo and sign up for free, you don't have to contact the cable company or anyone else https://www.nomorobo.com/
Don

I wonder if Nomorobo would work with our phone. It is neither cable or FIOS, but uses a box that our former land-line phone plugs into that interfaces to the Verizon cell service.

John

PostPosted: May Sat 20, 2017 4:52 am 

I have a phone where you press a button to block a number. From then on if they call from that number phone rings once and then disconnects. Stops a lot of 800 calls.

PostPosted: May Sat 20, 2017 8:53 am 

Norm Leal wrote:
I have a phone where you press a button to block a number. From then on if they call from that number phone rings once and then disconnects. Stops a lot of 800 calls.

I have a device that does that. The problem was, the Robo call would come in, and after it had hung up, I would block it. This would occur a good half dozen or more times a day, damn near every day, for the past I don't know how many years. I turned my ringers off years ago, but they would still light up my caller ID.
Now, the pests don't even get through to do that.

PostPosted: May Sat 20, 2017 2:32 pm 

OldWireBender wrote:

I wonder if Nomorobo would work with our phone. It is neither cable or FIOS, but uses a box that our former land-line phone plugs into that interfaces to the Verizon cell service.

John

No, Verizon cell service does not work with Nomorobo. You can always go there and try, the Nomorobo site will tell you if it cannot work.

PostPosted: May Sat 20, 2017 6:15 pm 

My thought is that I would love to reach through the phone lines and rip the throat out of those arrogant callers.

PostPosted: May Sat 20, 2017 9:16 pm 

Don Cavey wrote:
My thought is that I would love to reach through the phone lines and rip the throat out of those arrogant callers.

It's a different world today, Don 'ol boy. They hide behind spoofed phone numbers, the same as the creeps on the net who try their swindling as they hide behind their K/B's. Can't raise our blood pressure over them.

A few years ago, when this crap was beginning, some clown called me, soliciting for home repair work. He said his name was Bob White, and that I had graciously accepted his business card the previous year. I told him that I didn't remember a Bob White, but I did remember a Jack off, as I was hanging up the phone. :D

PostPosted: May Sat 27, 2017 2:32 pm 

Thanks to advice here, I set up Nomorobo on my house phone. I have Verizon Fios and the telemarketing calls are no longer :D

PostPosted: May Sat 27, 2017 6:31 pm 

I switched from AT&T to Vonage for price and the ability to block callers. I quickly (2 months) used up their 50 number limit. I installed Nomorobo and finally have silence.

I miss screwing with several home improvement callers by answering "Home Improvement". :lol:

PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 8:38 pm 

It is still going on, possibly because it is getting near "Tax Time". We were sitting in the American Legion for lunch and a friend of mine got two calls with the threat that they were going to issue a warrant! Oh my goodness...

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 39 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2