Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Thu 24, 2018 4:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Decent Tire Pressure Gauges
PostPosted: Nov Thu 09, 2017 2:39 pm 

Really off the radio topic but does anyone have recommendations for decent quality tire pressure gauges? I have an old US made one that my dad gave me but it really have become inaccurate. The ones I see in the automotive stores are China junk. Just wondering if there might be a source of decently made gauges anywhere.

Thanks for reading!

Post subject: Re: Decent Tire Pressure Gauges
PostPosted: Nov Thu 09, 2017 2:54 pm 

Bob,

I have always preferred the analog dial type gauges to the stick or digital units. Mine is probably 15 years old now but I checked it against a standard a couple of years ago before I retired and it read within 1 psi of the standard across the range. I needed a gauge that went to 100 psi because my pickup truck tires are inflated to 80 PSI for full rated load.

Probably most of these are going to be made in China now and probably the best bet is to use an online site like Amazon to compare reviews before you buy no matter where you actually purchase it.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Nov Thu 09, 2017 2:58 pm 

Go to a real auto parts store, and buy a Milton. They have always been what professionals use and are the best you can get at an affordable price. You can still get metal cased stick type gauges for less than $10, and there are several pressure ranges available depending on your needs.

You can't drop them hard on a concrete floor or in a bucket of water, but if you take reasonable care a Milton tire gauge will last for decades. I have a couple that I bought in the 1960's that still give accurate readings next to brand new ones purchased last year.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 09, 2017 3:12 pm 

Dennis,

Good to hear! I just went out to the garage to check and mine is a Milton.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Nov Thu 09, 2017 4:35 pm 

+1!!! Go to a quality parts jobber and bite the bullet for a Milton "Master" gauge... you'll never be sorry and it will outlast all of us!!!

Jim

PostPosted: Nov Fri 10, 2017 3:25 am 

+3,I have 2 Miltons in my shop,used daily.On average I service 80 cars a month,1 of the gauges is at least 20 years old and still works just fine.I bought the 2nd one a year or so back when I put in another service bay.
Phil

PostPosted: Nov Fri 10, 2017 7:47 pm 

Milton pneumatic couplings for air compressors/air tools are excellent quality also.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 10, 2017 11:43 pm 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028 ... UTF8&psc=1

This Gorilla pencil style tire pressure gauge seemed to work all right for me, but bear in mind that the gauge's maximum pressure rating is 50psi.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 11, 2017 6:59 pm 

Mr. Detrola wrote:
Go to a real auto parts store, and buy a Milton. They have always been what professionals use and are the best you can get at an affordable price. You can still get metal cased stick type gauges for less than $10, and there are several pressure ranges available depending on your needs.

You can't drop them hard on a concrete floor or in a bucket of water, but if you take reasonable care a Milton tire gauge will last for decades. I have a couple that I bought in the 1960's that still give accurate readings next to brand new ones purchased last year.

Yup,can't go wrong with a Milton.That's a model 976 in the photo,reads from 10-160 lbs.Got this one at a yard sale in July for $1.Reads dead-on with my other two Miltons.

Attachments:
milton 976.jpg
milton 976.jpg [ 46.1 KiB | Viewed 1166 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Sat 11, 2017 9:08 pm 

thanks for the tips.Are those digital ones accurate.I have one here and the other that sticks out when checking air in tires.I broke my round type gauge while back.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 11, 2017 9:59 pm 

My deal is I purchase a good quality industrial gage, 60 psi range is good. Then simply thread a
brass air chuck onto that. The brass body gages with heavy glass lenses work best.

All it takes is one drop on the pavement and those gages need to be re-calibrated.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 12, 2017 12:09 pm 

Super! Thanks for all the replies, I will order a Milton online and check it out.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 21, 2017 1:07 am 

Mike C. wrote:
Mr. Detrola wrote:

Yup,can't go wrong with a Milton.That's a model 976 in the photo,reads from 10-160 lbs.Got this one at a yard sale in July for $1.Reads dead-on with my other two Miltons.

This is the one I bought (not for a $1), really nice and easy to check the tires. So happy it was made in the USA, sick of the crap that is being sold out of China and elsewhere. Ordered two more, one for each of my son's(santa strikes again), they have been complaining how bad the gauges are.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 21, 2017 10:44 pm 

Good luck with the gauges.With a minimum of care the things will last just about forever.You answered a question I was wondering about-if they were still made in the US.All of mine are fairly old so I was curious about that.Cheers.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 22, 2017 1:11 am 

For about 35 bucks Harley Davidson has one. Relatively compact, rubber covered and holds the pressure until you release it so you can bring the gauge up close to read. That's handy in low light or if your eyes ain't what they used to be. I use mine always.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 1:51 pm 

Very pleased with the Milton, I ended up getting 4 of them. Got myself one and both of my sons as well, when my 93 year old dad saw them he wanted one. I think they will last a very long time and sure are a pleasure to use. I got the ones that got up to 170 lbs (which I will never need). I like the size of them much easier to check the pressure when you do not need to kneel on the ground. At 61 the getting down is not the problem, it is getting up again!

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 5:59 pm 

Glad you like the gauges.I like the fact that it's large enough so that I won't carry it in my back pocket.I've lost three smaller gauges and many screwdrivers from that bad habit.

And,like many of the dial types,they will hold their pressure reading .

I had a beautiful,large,nickel and brass gauge of the same type-although I don't think it was a Milton.An elderly neighbor of mine gave it to me and it meant a lot to me.Unfortunately,it disappeared from my tool box one day never to be seen again.

Smart move buying a gauge for the rest of the family,you'll have yours longer.