Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Wed 14, 2018 6:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Wife Buys Car Loves it Hits Deer
PostPosted: Dec Wed 13, 2017 7:10 am 

easyrider8 wrote:
Johnnysan wrote:
Hitting a deer destroys the radiator and pushes it into the fan and the hood is buckled? Just how fast was your wife going?

A 200 lb deer can do a lot of damage, even at 50 mph.

Dave

I hit one driving my 2003 Venture minivan in late October at about 10:30 at night. The rascal came out of nowhere and whap, I hit the sucker broadside and I heard glass and plastic parts flying. Luckily the thing kept on truckin' and got on out of the way. I slowed down to 30mph and drove up the road a ways to an old store building that had a nightlight still working and inspected the damage. I was running along right at 50mph when the deer came flying out in front of me. It totally destroyed the front grill, headlight lens assembly, front bumper and even damaged a front fender on the passenger side. $3800 worth of damage. Fortunately I still had full coverage on my minivan. State Farm paid off a nice settlement and towed it away. I replaced it with a really nice 2006 Chevy Trailblazer with 80,000 miles. Cost me $2K more than my insurance covered, but I got a much nicer ride out of the deer accident.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 13, 2017 4:34 pm 

rsingl wrote:
Mark,

I assume the STS battery is still under the hood. Many of the later models, like my CTS and ATS, moved the battery to the trunk which doesn't necessarily make it easier to change but it is easy to access if you need to apply power assuming the trunk still has the mechanical lock opening.

I defeated the locking gas cover on my Corvette because they are known to fail, it uses a motor to insert or retract a pin in the cover that is over the capless fuel port and if the motor fails it requires disassembly on the road in order to add fuel. The easy solution is to insert a push pin retainer (common automotive fastener) in the hole where the locking pin tries to go.

Her later Northstar should have the improved head bolts although as a car guy you will have no issue going with studs if they fail. Early production Northstar engines had a major issue with insufficient head clamping pressure due to a combination of bolt diameter and location in the block.

Rodger WQ9E

Yes, the battery is under the hood just in front of the firewall on the passengers side. There is also an access terminal toward the front of the engine compartment but that was inaccessible with the hood the way it was. I have since removed the hood.
Her 1998 STS has the battery under the rear seat with a special ventilator for the fumes. My other three Cadillacs ('95 STS, '95 SLS and 2000 ETC) all have the battery under the hood in the typical spot - right front.

The electric gas doors on my four cars other than the '08 have the electric release gas doors. I've had no problem with any of them. However, if they fail to work there is a thin cable with a T handle in the trunk that will release the filler door. The '08 just has a push/click/open deal. Press it shut when done.

I'm very familiar with the head bolt issues with Northstar engines from late 1997 to 2002. Other N* engines have no more problem than any other engine in todays world.
I did put studs in my wife's '98. I purchased the special tools to re-drill and re-thread the bolt holes in the block to install 1/2" studs with a 5/8X11X 2" threads to replace the puny little 14mm bolts with metric whatever size but approximately 3/4 inch fine thread into poorly threaded holes.
Yes, After due research and examining all the bolt holes in the block of the '98 I found that when they were making the engine they were doing something to try to cut costs. Not sure what they were doing, but even the bolts that were still providing proper clamping force had only partial threads down inside the hole in the block. I used a bore scope to look at them. They were choppy and they had only roughly 50% thread engagement. The bolts rattled in the threads when not tight and could pull out easily and all too often they did pull out.

My 2000 ETC is in that same category but I'm driving it (now my wife is) and so far haven't had an issue, but I think it's coming up. It's losing a bit of coolant over time and it seems to be blowing out past the cap, although it's hard to tell. If I can keep my foot out of it everything is fine. But it's tough to do that when I need to get around old granny putt putting down the highway. I love the way these cars can pass... going 49mph, firewall it and by the time I'm around the one car I'm passing I'm just about to hit 90. If it's two cars, it's over 100 in however few seconds it took to pass them. Then I slow down to 65 or so before I get caught. I don't like being on the wrong side of the road, so I want to get it over with quickly. My two '95 cars have zero engine problems. I've wrung those things out hard many many times. They seem to like it... They always come back for more. They both have LOTS of miles. One is about to hit a quarter million miles. I don't expect it to run to 500 K miles like those 4 cyl 1990's Honda engines, but at least it has enough power to keep me happy. My '67 Corvette that I don't have anymore with my version of a small block Chebby in it would whip any of the cars I have today badly. It was an 11 second car. I got stupid and sold it.
Mark D.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 13, 2017 4:39 pm 

Larry H wrote:
easyrider8 wrote:
Johnnysan wrote:
Hitting a deer destroys the radiator and pushes it into the fan and the hood is buckled? Just how fast was your wife going?

Dave

I hit one driving my 2003 Venture minivan in late October at about 10:30 at night. The rascal came out of nowhere and whap, I hit the sucker broadside and I heard glass and plastic parts flying. Luckily the thing kept on truckin' and got on out of the way. I slowed down to 30mph and drove up the road a ways to an old store building that had a nightlight still working and inspected the damage. I was running along right at 50mph when the deer came flying out in front of me. It totally destroyed the front grill, headlight lens assembly, front bumper and even damaged a front fender on the passenger side. $3800 worth of damage. Fortunately I still had full coverage on my minivan. State Farm paid off a nice settlement and towed it away. I replaced it with a really nice 2006 Chevy Trailblazer with 80,000 miles. Cost me $2K more than my insurance covered, but I got a much nicer ride out of the deer accident.

State Farm is good on paying when you have a problem such as yours. It's the comprehensive part of your policy that paid the cost. You probably had a deductible of some amount.
On my wife's car we do have comprehensive on it, but being cheap on some things I have a high deductible of $2000. So now, after the fact, I realize I was penny wise and pound foolish.
Mark D.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 13, 2017 6:12 pm 

Been lucky lately; now have had two cars in a row where I have not hit a deer.

Last edited by Bruce88 on Dec Wed 13, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 13, 2017 6:52 pm 

Mark D wrote:
Larry H wrote:
easyrider8 wrote:

Dave

State Farm is good on paying when you have a problem such as yours. It's the comprehensive part of your policy that paid the cost. You probably had a deductible of some amount.
On my wife's car we do have comprehensive on it, but being cheap on some things I have a high deductible of $2000. So now, after the fact, I realize I was penny wise and pound foolish.
Mark D.

I had a $500 deductible. State Farm valued my van at $3800, minus $500 deductible, and paid me $3300. I had to surrender the title to the agent when I picked up the check. A couple days later, they towed the van off to the junk yard. State Farm is super insurance. I figured they would only offer me around $2K to settle it, but I was astonished when they said I'd get $3300. The vehicle had 140K miles on it and wasn't worth that much........

PostPosted: Dec Wed 13, 2017 7:39 pm 

Never collided with a deer, but years back driving home from 'Vegas on I-15, late wife hit low flying pigeons...Twice!

PostPosted: Dec Thu 14, 2017 12:19 am 

About 15 years ago I hit a LARGE black bear with my mom's POS Ford Tempo. :shock: Broad daylight in the middle of the afternoon, too. I had never even seen a bear around here before.

Deer? Pfft. I've hit probably around a dozen of the brainless things over the years. I've even had them run into the side of the car while I was practically sitting still. :roll: I've even hit a deer twice. Once going forwards when it ran out in front of me, and once in reverse. :twisted:

PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 6:48 pm 

Ok, the car has been at the body shop for about a month now. Things are moving slowly, mostly due to lack of parts availability.
One is the hood. It is the same hood as the ones on any '07 - '10 STS, except for one thing... THIS car has all the 'hi-perf' options, including some sort of handling package. That means this car has a huge, rigid tie-bar across the engine compartment from one strut tower to the other. The normal hood hits that bar, so GM made a special hood. There are maybe three of them in existence. (exaggeration) Finally found one for $300 +/-
The adaptive cruise control... The unit is undamaged, but the aiming adjusters were destroyed and the special grommets in the mounting holes on the radar unit were broken. Parts are not available from GM. Only the entire unit with all mounting hardware and the radar unit, which, in itself, is fine. GM wants $1800. That might put the cost of repair beyond the insurance limit. I don't want to total it and then have a salvage title.
They are like hens teeth at the salvage yards. I think there are a number of these units in the yards, but they don't inventory them and basically just scrap them with the rest of the car that nobody buys. They tend to keep the engine, transmission and a few other items. The rest? Squash it.
Well, the body shop guy put me on it. I found one in Wisconsin. I had them get it out of the car. The guy called back and said he has it in his hot little hand. I called the body shop. He said he had found one. That sure put me on the spot for that poor guy in Wisconsin who really went to bat for me.
Now we also need a new hood release cable. The original one was torn to pieces. GM does not sell them. None in stock anywhere.
Try getting a salvage yard to be willing to go out in -5 temperature and try to remove a hood cable from a car in the yard. Since the hood release is high up on the far left of the instrument panel, it is going to be a real PITA to get it out and back in. Have to disassemble the instrument panel.
I'm thinking about splicing a separate cable onto the good part of the original. That, or just simply move the hood release to something behind the grille and leave it at that. It really doesn't HAVE to be inside the car.

I'm going over there today to repair some electrical harness's that got whacked pretty good. I don't want the body guy doing that. I know how to work with those plugs that never seem to want to un-plug, and I have the tools to remove pins, splice and solder and replace.

yet, he still has the core support to weld in. He has it lined up, but moved on to other cars that are easier to get done.
Fortunately, we have other things to drive in the meanwhile. However, I like the quality of his work and he is a State Farm 'approved" (or whatever they call it) shop. That means State Farm doesn't send out some agent who looks at it and says, "Yep, she's a goner." This car would be written off for really minor damage if one of those guys came out. In all likelihood we would not receive enough payment from the insurance company to replace the car with an identical one.... if we could even find one. It turns out that this version of STS is quite rare.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 6:58 pm 

At least you are making progress, and the car will get repaired as close to original as possible.

I hate it when parts are so specific that few to none exist. Been there, done that. Sometimes even finding what the specs are supposed to be for some of the unique stuff is next to impossible. You have to wonder what they were thinking when they built only 100 or 1000 of something.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 2:54 pm 

Seems like with all the cars I have driven both driver and passenger doors would open from the inside even if locked as pulling the door release handle would just unlock the door at the same time.

How can the doors lock if the battery goes dead? Wouldn't be enough power to do that unless it has some sort of energy storage for the door lock circuit.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 5:11 pm 

It sure surprised me the first time it happened! I was doing some brake work on the car and wanted to have it in neutral so I could spin the axles. To do that I had to use the key fob to power up the electronic systems so I could shift it into neutral. Once I did that, the car kept going bong bong bong bong because it was left in neutral with nobody in the car (I guess)
Anyway, that was annoying me, so I disconnected the battery. That'll take care of it! Well, then I needed to get back into the car for whatever reason. I forget what now, but The doors were all locked! So I decided to see if they are locked on the inside too. I opened the drivers door, disconnected the battery, got in the car, closed the door. I tried to open it and it was locked.
The rear doors are standard. They don't lock automatically. I had to crawl into the back to get out of the car.
So I left the brake work to do a search to find a manual door release. Corvette's have them, so why wouldn't this car? On the Corvette it's under the seats. On this car, there is no release. A wasted hour of searching told me that. I have tried every potential avenue of information on this and it seems that nobody knows anything about it.

This is really a very dangerous thing. If this thing were to catch fire, for instance, you can't get out of the car. Getting into the back seat is the only way. I am fairly nimble, but the limited space between the seat backs and the rear seat makes it very difficult to get back there. If there is gasoline spewing and burning, you wouldn't get out before being burned up.

Other than that very dangerous issue, I really like the car. While it does have more power than my older Northstar equipped cars, it would lose in a drag race because of the all wheel drive and the enormously beefy frame under the body. I've never seen a car with such a frame. It is very heavy.

Well, we now have the complete adaptive cruise control system that goes behind the grille. That means the only thing we still need is a hood release cable. I've learned that not all STS's, even STS-4's are alike. Options make for a lot of very difficult to find parts.

By the way, those HID headlamps are very spendy. If one of you out there breaks one in a minor whatever, it ain't cheap! On this car, it's also hard to find because, once again, it is an option! Lucky I have comprehensive insurance on it. I don't on any of my other cars. Collision insurance doesn't cover a deer strike. Comp does. I guess they consider it the same as hail damage, a tree falling on it, a fire, flood, etc.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 9:52 pm 

If they would just move those deer crossing signs where its safe for the deer to cross this wouldn't happen.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/ ... 87405.html

"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" -D. Eisenhower

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 32 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2