Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Tue 14, 2018 6:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: please identify
PostPosted: Jan Wed 31, 2018 9:51 pm 

Sorry that I'm not asking on the forum topic.Help identify this detail.The box is packed in the warehouse, and the documents are lost.

Post subject: Re: please identify
PostPosted: Feb Fri 02, 2018 1:39 am 

For english speakers

Possibly early wifi antenna or a receiver for a White Fi system. This system uses the space between tv channels to transmit internet connection.

OP original language, mods feel free to delete if not acceptable or close thread. Sometimes Russian to English and vice versa can tricky going through Google.

Возможно, антенна с ранним Wi-Fi или приемник для системы White Fi. Эта система использует пространство между телевизионными каналами для передачи интернет-соединения.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 02, 2018 5:17 am 

The connector most likely goes to a DB25 Serial Port? (Parallel port would generally have pins on the dongle, and sockets on the host.)

I suspect it is a license control dongle. Some expensive pieces of special software used to require a piece of hardware plugged in, to ensure you paid for the software and didn't pirate it. That looks pretty old. Who knows what software it is for, though.

A DB25 serial port caps out at a couple hundred kbps data rate. It might be a wireless serial receiver, possibly, those were used in industrial control applications sometimes.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 02, 2018 5:47 am 

Thank you!!!
I think that you need to break one box and see what chip there is. With such data we identify more quickly.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 02, 2018 6:39 am 

I think its a simple rf link, that substitutes for an RS232 cable. You need two of them, that are matched up two the same frequency pair. Maybe a dip switch inside.

The software protection dongle usually had two connectors, so you could still use it, as a serial port. With a logic analyzer, I decoded one of these in less than an hour. They didn't put too much effort into designing it.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 02, 2018 10:42 am 

threeneurons wrote:
I think its a simple rf link, that substitutes for an RS232 cable. You need two of them, that are matched up two the same frequency pair. Maybe a dip switch inside.

The software protection dongle usually had two connectors, so you could still use it, as a serial port. With a logic analyzer, I decoded one of these in less than an hour. They didn't put too much effort into designing it.

I had an electrical construction estimating program with dongle. It just connected in series with the printer.
The gadget in the picture looks rather large to be a dongle.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 02, 2018 1:16 pm 

Here's what they make.

Attachment:
ARE.jpg
ARE.jpg [ 33.59 KiB | Viewed 917 times ]

Larry

PostPosted: Feb Fri 02, 2018 1:57 pm 

Can you post any pictures of the INSIDE of the box? Otherwise, the best you may get are wild guesses. I spent some time looking on the web, nothing at all popped up. Any more info on the carton? or the box?

PostPosted: Feb Fri 02, 2018 7:59 pm 

I understood my task. As I get to the warehouse, I'll definitely open the case and take a photo session.

P.S. A little distraction from temy.Posmotrite what we have a beautiful winter.
https://youtu.be/stxKVfVaoC4
Another radio receiver saved from recycling. Alpinist-407 (translation from the Russian "Mountaineer" model 407)released to the 1980 Olympic Games in Moscow.
https://youtu.be/BV4jBerfS0k

PostPosted: Feb Fri 02, 2018 9:36 pm 

I suggest installing the unit on a desktop computer and exploring the device with the computer's software.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 9:02 am 

body dissection
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyH9Z5V ... e=youtu.be
At the end of the video there are still elements VFU PROM CCA for identification.
http://www.theprinterplace.com/parts/da ... arts8.html
Thank you for your time.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 7:08 pm 

With those screw terminals. Now I'm thinking "short-haul" modem.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 8:25 pm 

threeneurons, do I understand correctly?
A short-haul modem might be required if the base computer is located at a distance greater than the practical limit of 50 feet for standard serial RS-232 cables. However, the requirement for a physical wire connecting the computer and receiver limits the usefulness of using a short-haul modem to distances usually shorter than their intended limit of approximately 4 miles. A reason for this is that the transmission rate is a function of distance with maximum data rates of 19200 bps being achieved over distances of 1 mile or less.