Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Wed 14, 2018 2:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Grandfather Clock Radios
PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 2:21 pm 

Back in the early 1990's, I came across a Crosley Grandfather radio that I just had to have. I visualized it in our front entrance hall by the stairs, a beautiful site for such a lovely bit of history, or so I thought. My wife thought otherwise, as she preferred the old barometer that we'd had since 1971 remain on the wall in plain view from the front door, said it was one of her favorite pieces. Sold the Crosley and probably lost money, kinda got my feelings hurt. :oops: Fast forward to summer of 2013, a Philco 570 Grandfather Clock radio showed up on CL about an hour's drive North. Looked nice, so I asked my wife BEFORE driving there if she'd let me put it in the entrance hall like I had wanted to years prior and she said YES! :D Great, I bought it and put it in my shop awaiting restoration. I mentioned last night that I was going to start on the chassis and get it ready for display (yeah, in the entrance hall where her old useless barometer hung on the wall). "WHAT!!" she said… I NEVER agreed to that!!! We discussed it (not) and I told you to sell it, I want MY barometer on the wall where it is, not some big old radio!! :shock:

Life's lessons are often learned too late. Had I restored the Philco shortly after she agreed and placed it where we both had decided, it would be there now. I guess the He Who Hesitates Is Lost theory applies here (i.e. Strike While The Iron Is Hot). After 46+ years of marriage, I DO remember "Happy Wife, Happy Life." Guess I'll be selling this Grandfather Clock radio, too! :roll:

K4DLM

Post subject: Re: Grandfather Clock Radios
PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 2:29 pm 

My wife loves grandfather clock radios, and actually wants more. We have 4 or 5 of them already including a Crosley in the living room and the Philco is in the dining room.

Several years ago, when I was offered the opportunity to purchase an extremely rare Detrola console TV, she immediately told me that I had to put it in the living room, where it still lives to this day.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 2:31 pm 

Roll videotape! "See honey, I have proof!"

Chicks dig that.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 3:54 pm 

Sell the wife, keep the clock :roll:

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 5:20 pm 

I believe its called convenient amnesia. :wink:

***"Your best teacher is your last mistake"***

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 6:05 pm 

Reconsider selling the clock and realize that in this partnership you too have a stake and a share. While only seeing part of this story it appears to me that she is being unfair and not taking your feelings, desires and concerns under consideration. I would hold my ground and keep the radio and display it. Why should her barometer trump your radio?

I am very fortunate that my wife appreciates my passion for old radios and the collection and display aspects of it. I would in no way ever try to tell her she could not display her quilts or wall hangings nor would she my radios. Important decisions are discussed, like my purchase of a 16A63 Stratosphere. Remember we are only here for a specified period of time and need to derive the maximum enjoyment and experiences while we are here.

I just visited an old (84 years old) friend in the hospital yesterday and he is not coming home, hospice maybe. Another old high school friend has Alzheimer's and is eaten up with cancer. I visit him weekly and bring a milk shake. We can't really talk. This kind of all brings it home. Good luck - stand your ground!

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 6:26 pm 

My wife cares little about radios, she doesn't control what I bring into the house. Got rid of all radios back around year 2000, lost interest after 50 years of playing. If she did protest where I put a larger type radio I'd still put it there. I won't be bullied. JMO

Last edited by hoffies2 on Feb Tue 06, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 6:36 pm 

I would be interested in hearing Ron from Radio Heaven weigh in here! Maybe I should reconsider that!

PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 12:35 am 

Location: Radio Heaven, North Carolina, near Charlotte, 28106-3015
OK, here ya go. I think this is SO SAD. My wife of almost 44 years
would never tell me I can't have a radio where ever I want it.
There are 5 radios in entrance way, a GE grandfather clock in the
living room, a AK 84 grandfather clock in the dining room, there are
4 sets in the den plus several on the antique table in the den that
I'm using as a work bench for larger sets.
All this is outside the several hundred sets in my main display room.

I couldn't stand it if she tried to control where I display my radios.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 4:38 pm 

Ron is a lucky man, has as marvelous a collection anyone could hope for and a very lovely, understanding wife. Clearly everyone has different priorities regarding collecting and displaying their radios. Mine are displayed in my office, den, bedroom, living room and my upstairs office, with the bulk of my collection in the basement on shelving. Probably had a dozen and a half Harley's in the last 10 years, which my wife loves and she just bought me a new Ford pickup for my retirement a few months ago, so if I'm being controlled by my wife, it's not noticeable to me. I do know that since she recently had major foot surgery and is still recuperating, I'm probably a little more focused on her needs than mine, wanting her to be comfortable as she's stuck inside the house, so the Grandfather Clock thing is no biggie. :D

K4DLM

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 2:17 pm 

My wife is the opposite. I brought a Philco Grandfather Clock radio home to restore and resell. As soon as she saw it she said it wasn't leaving. It's been sitting in the entrance way for ten years now. She's confiscated a Victrola, an Edison, a Nipper statue, a Atwater Kent Kiel Table, a Zenith tombstone, and a Philco cathedral. She also brings me home stuff she finds, lanterns, radios, old tools, etc.. She says "if you don't want it I figure you can just resell it". She's gotten pretty good at it. She's a keeper, just like the radios.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 2:53 pm 

Guess you could say I got a "reprieve from the governor." Last night my wife came in the shop as I was refinishing a small Philco. She had just driven in from taking her 88 year old mother back to the retirement home and it was the first time she'd driven since her foot surgery. I've been driving here everywhere since last November. Don't know if it was the excitement of the renewed freedom to be able to drive again or what, but I mentioned the Grandfather clock and she said she'd like it in the entrance hall, but wanted me to refinish it first as I'd mentioned when I bought it. Wow, I wasn't expecting a reversal on this, but I'll take it!

Before we married in 1971, my Dad gave me advice on a few pertinent things regarding marriage and women, all of which I remember and cherish (he passed in 1974). One of those things was to never try to figure a woman out. He went on to say that when you "think" you've got them figured out, you'll be somewhere around 180 degrees off... all efforts to figure them out are futile, a waste of time, it just can't be done. :lol:

K4DLM

PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 3:31 am 

Steve Johnson wrote:

Steve, that beautiful clock/radio looks like it has a special sound because of all the wood and location of the speaker. Hope it's a daily driver.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 12:56 pm 

Mike Toon wrote:
Steve, that beautiful clock/radio looks like it has a special sound because of all the wood and location of the speaker. Hope it's a daily driver.

It gets played occasionally. I had to replace the clock movement (wasn't original anyway) as it was beyond repair. It keeps good time.