Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Tue 14, 2018 6:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Beware! Microsoft Windows 10 Update Strikes Again!
PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 5:27 pm 

Last Wednesday, while I was surfing the Internet with my Dell XPS 8910 desktop, a Microsoft Windows 10 update suddenly commandeered my computer, and took it off line. Then it went through a lengthy update process before it finally arrived to the desktop. Afterwards, I could no longer use the Microsoft Word as it simply wouldn't open up, and even the System Recovery was inoperable. I then called the Dell Technical Support, and it took the Dell technician well over two hours to completely reload Windows 10, and reinstall Microsoft Office as well.

Then horror struck again. Yesterday afternoon, after I turned on my mother's Dell XPS 8910 desktop computer (she has the same computer as I do) at her place, it immediately began to do a very lengthy Microsoft Windows update until finally arriving at the desktop. Afterwards, it said that the Windows update can not be complete unless I restart the computer so I closed the box. A moment later, the computer went through the restarting process, and then proceeded with some other Windows 10 update While it was doing so, I went into the other room for a few minutes. Then, when I came back, the computer was obviously locked up as all I that I seen was a continuous black screen along with the monitor power light blinking on and off. From then on, the computer would never boot up. In fact, all that I later got was the Dell logo, and a subsequent message indicating that it was trying to reinstall Windows (likely because the Microsoft Windows 10 update was corrupted).

An hour later, I called the Dell Technical Support, and the technician on the phone tried several quick methods in getting the computer to reboot but was unsuccessful. The Dell technician then said that Windows 10 would have to be reinstalled. Being that there was only one computer in my mother's house, I had to commute to my place last night so the technician could load Windows 10 onto my flash drive. Well, I'm bringing the flash drive containing the Windows 10 over to my mother's place today, and the technician said that he will call at 7:00 P.M. EST so as to reinstall Windows 10 onto my mother's computer. Who knows what other perils may lie as soon as my mother's computer arrives at the desktop today?

Isn't there a sure fires way to prevent these Windows 10 updates from appearing as they're corrupting our computers? Has anyone else been affected by this? This can't go on as I don't have the time to keep spending hours upon hours with a Dell Support technician.

By the way, I can't respond after 12:00 P.M. today as I'm going over to my mother's place, and, of course, her Dell XPS 8910 computer isn't working. At least, not until sometime after 7:00 P.M.

Post subject: Re: Beware! Microsoft Windows 10 Update Strikes Again!
PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 5:51 pm 

10 as done a couple of updates lately but I haven't had the issues you've had. I wish you best of luck.

"AC volts and DC volts and little lamps and lities..."

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 5:54 pm 

Don't even get me started on Windows 10 updates. I have put the updates on pause with my work laptop. Every time the most recent update completes, I end up with a flashing screen. It turns out the most recent update is in conflict with the video driver. My work laptop is a Dell Latitude. It is built like a tank and indestructible. Our I.T. department just installed a sold state drive in it and my docking station at my desk is set up just the way I like it. I have no intention whatsoever in changing this computer just because Windows can never leave well enough alone.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 6:07 pm 

This is why all of my computers run either XP or Win7 professional. Next one won't be a Windows unit.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 6:07 pm 

While I'm talking with the Dell Support technician this evening, I'll see if he can tell me a good way of blocking further updates as this can't go on like this.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 7:24 pm 

I haven't had any Windows 10 update problems on 4 different machines ( 3 desktops, 1 laptop) that I have running here. Two of the machines actually date back to 2006 and updates run smooth with these too. All the machines are "HP". I am totally happy with the Win 10 performance on these machines.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 7:48 pm 

My Asus transformer tablet is informing me that it failed tried to do a Win 10 update 3 weeks ago. The good news is since that failed update it hasn't bothered me trying to do any other updates :)
The attempted upgrade managed to slightly cripple the touchpad preventing two finger scroll and the menu and task manager are no longer available which has been a very commonly reported issue from that series of Moron Soft updates.

At some point I will have to take care of it for security reasons but it may get moved over to Linux like its laptop big brother.

Besides the annoyance of going into update mode when I don't want it to my HP workstation is running Win 10 Pro OK although initial start and wakeup from standby mode is noticeably slower than it was when Win 10 first came out. A complete fresh install MIGHT cure that but it isn't worth bothering with yet.

The Asus I7 laptop I upgraded to Linux is working VERY well.

Win 10 reliability leaves a lot to be desired. I have never had issues with a MS operating system before going back to the DOS days but Win 10 is a problem child for a lot of people.

As soon as video card pricing drops from the crypto currency price runup craze I will be upgrading to a higher end video card for my desktop to improve photo processing speed and it will continue to be a Windows based machine but any new laptops will likely be from Apple after my Win 10 experience.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 8:16 pm 

There is a way to disable Windows 10 updates.

Go into services and disable the Windows update service and the service that is used to actually install Windows updates.

That will work until Microsoft decides you must update then those two processes will be re-enabled somehow without warning.

The problem with Windows is Microsoft has to make Windows work for a whole gamut of hardware and software configurations and often an update will simply not work correctly on a particular computer and muck it up.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 8:34 pm 

You know, i don't remember this much breakage back in the days of Unix System V.... Solaris had a little more breakage, but nowhere near what Whack-it-goes 10 has.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 8:39 pm 

If you are using the Home edition you do not have a choice to delay updates. If you have the Pro version you can delay the updates for awhile.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/faq-how-to ... 0-updates/

PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 3:42 am 

Well, my mother's Dell XPS8910 desktop is finally up and running again. Today, two Dell technicians reinstalled Windows 10 to my mother's computer using the program that they had me download to the flash drive at my place last night. I also had one of the Dell technicians disable the Microsoft updates to my mother's computer during the process. What a hassle! Of course, just like what happened to my computer last Wednesday, the Microsoft Office to her computer will have to be reinstalled as well. However, I'll have to locate at least the password for that to happen.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 3:47 am 

Open Office is free and basically has the same functionality as most of the stuff in MS Office.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 5:41 pm 

I had Windows 10 for awhile but hated it. Windows 10 gains total control over your computer, which is what Microsoft wants. I had it start updating first thing one morning and I couldn't check my email for hours. I removed Windows 10 and reinstalled Windows 7. I have updates set just to notify me, but I can select and choose what I want it to update. I want control over my computer, and I'm not turning it over to Microsoft again.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 3:44 am 

I have an HP laptop computer and Windows 10 updates are seamless here. Maybe it works differently on different brands of computer.

Good luck, either way. I know it's frustrating when a computer you depend upon is having issues.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 4:07 am 

Larry H wrote:
I had Windows 10 for awhile but hated it. Windows 10 gains total control over your computer, which is what Microsoft wants. I had it start updating first thing one morning and I couldn't check my email for hours. I removed Windows 10 and reinstalled Windows 7. I have updates set just to notify me, but I can select and choose what I want it to update. I want control over my computer, and I'm not turning it over to Microsoft again.

I have my Win 7 machine set the same way, but Micro$oft STILL manages to perform the updates without my consent. The only way I can think of to prevent this with Win 7 and 10 is to disconnect your machine from the internet altogether, which in this day and age makes it an expensive brick - AND MS KNOWS THIS! #&%^#%#&
John

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 5:21 am 

Windows 10, no, not, never.

never upgraded, never will.

I don't see another windows OS in my future either.

steve

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 6:36 am 

You cannot blame everything on MS. REMEMBER It's just like cars, disk drives memories get corrupted and hobble along till a massive update comes along, disks drives, interface hardware and software get corrupted and yes even new computers breakdown. Downloading of FREE applications are notorious culprits. Sometimes it's the clock battery that fails. Power surges can corrupt files that the disk drive, memory or even the operating system itself loses critical instructions.
I have both Dell and HP computers and always go to the , Web page for driver and mfgs. Updates.
Cleaning up the temporary files directories will give updates more room to work. Even the firewall settings can get corrupted or fail.
There are noises that computer supplies inherently have, and one tiny bypass capacitor on the microprocessor can short and cause all sorts of problems.

Even there is such a thing as operator settings that can cause headache's.
The list goes on.
:cry:

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 12:49 pm 

I have 5 machines running Win 10 and two have been trouble free, one of the other two is now running Linux and the fourth is in the process of reinstalling Win 10 after a complete reset. The fifth is currently OK but with Win 10 you are always one update away from troubles and the huge quantity of results you get when searching for any issue shows that Win 10 problems are anything but rare.

The machine I did a fresh install on last night was one that was effectively crippled by a late December update that among other things prevented the menu from running (only items on the taskbar could be run), task manager would not work, services.msc would not run, and most of the recovery options on the windows recovery screen would not launch either. I tried the MS suggested fixes that were possible but several of them could not even be tried because of the inability to launch items.

Win 10 does seem to run relatively OK on some hardware but it is nowhere close to as reliable as prior MS systems and there will be nothing new coming into this household with MS software unless there is a major change from MS. Between business and home needs I have had at least 3 current systems at home and another in the office since the late 1980s and until Win 10 all of these machines have been maintenance free outside of the typical mouse and keyboard failures and updating of my applications software. For all practical purposes the underlying operating system was unobtrusive as it should be. Win 10 has changed all of that and every couple of months I run into a Win 10 issue that requires some intervention and this is on top of its standard obnoxious behavior of going into resource hogging updates or changing my preferences after an update. Its flawed indexing system that will go into a massive delay mode at times is a classic example of something I have had to turn off manually several times and it is a huge resource hog that has probably generated as much internet questions and complaints by itself as has the new tax reform changes.

My main PC is a HP Z series workstation and on these high end dual CPU machines you can order it from HP configured with Win 7 Pro or Linux instead of Win 10. Win 10's issues are an annoyance for home users but it goes far beyond that for business and there was a lot of blowback from the December updates that created the same issues I experienced with a large number of business users. Win 10 was supposed to be a solid step up from Win 8 yet now that it should be a mature and stable OS Microsoft is still obviously flailing away with problems.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 1:28 pm 

long live and hail to XP and Win 7.

wishful thinking... :oops:

steve

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 2:41 pm 

mrx wrote:
If you are using the Home edition you do not have a choice to delay updates. If you have the Pro version you can delay the updates for awhile.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/faq-how-to ... 0-updates/

Read my above post on how to at least delay the updates for a few months.

Larry H wrote:
I had Windows 10 for awhile but hated it. Windows 10 gains total control over your computer.

Only control W10 has over my computer is updates.

Now if I wanted to shell out the money I could have bought something other than home edition and I'd be able to stop updates, but I got W10 homefree as an insider.

OldWireBender wrote:
I have my Win 7 machine set the same way, but Micro$oft STILL manages to perform the updates without my consent. The only way I can think of to prevent this with Win 7 and 10 is to disconnect your machine from the internet altogether, which in this day and age makes it an expensive brick - AND MS KNOWS THIS! #&%^#%#&
John

Get a version of W10 above home edition and you can control updates.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 21 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next