Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 22, 2018 2:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Historical Recordings.
PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 12:16 am 

I have about 30 wire reels with recorded shows from New York and Philadelphia radio and TV broadcasts. They span from 1948 to 1961; many are Vaughn Monroe, Vince Lombardi and Lawrence Welk shows. Others are newsreels including Walter Winchell. I play them on my Silvertone and I've digitized a few. I often wonder how I should share them with folks who would be interested. The fidelity is quite good. The contemporary news topics and commercials are quite a treasure.

Post subject: Re: Historical Recordings.
PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 1:25 am 

Well I suppose you could post them on Youtube and those seeking that subject matter could search it. Being that it is a video site, regardless of the music recordings posted, you could maybe enhance them with stills in a slideshow type presentation included or the ancient wire recorder operating along with the sound. Have seen that before on there. Then they could be posted elsewhere I suppose, but to a rather much more narrow audience in most cases.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 2:07 am 
Site Admin

Upload our files to the collection at https://archive.org

PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 2:09 am 

And there is archive.org

I would suggest that you do some web searches to see if this audio is already out in the wild.

Robert

PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 3:45 am 

Hi Darren,
It appears that you have a very fine collection, and it would certainly be nice of you to share it with others. I think the suggestions by Alan V. and Robert are good ones--perhaps upload them to archive.org

I hope you will do so, as I would like to hear some of these. Personally, I would be very interested in anything concerning Vaughn Monroe who is a particular favorite of mine. Contemporary news topics and commercials are also an added bonus.

Darren, have you considered the possibility that some of these recordings you have might be the only ones still in existence of some of these live broadcasts? If so it would be a great shame if they were lost, since so much has been lost already. Thus I applaud your desire to share them with others, and preserve them for posterity.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 4:15 am 

I think I will heed the suggestions and upload them here. That way others can enjoy them.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 2:16 pm 

I was notified of about a dozen one hour spools of wire of unknown content. I agreed to transfer them gratis.
Turned out to be all piano and choir practice for small evangelical churches. The only thing of interest was a segment recorded at a Thanksgiving family gathering about 1950/52 of evangelists talking about their careers in attempting to form congregations. My general impression is that they were not very successful at all in their work.

Robert

PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 5:44 pm 

I recently bought a 30 minute spool labeled "Lone Ranger" from 1948. I have a Webster wire recorder that I need to rebuild - but I can't find it right now :cry:

PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 10:44 pm 

I have found an assortment of fun stuff on old wires. Many folks recorded MacArthur's speech..lots of birthdays, legal depositions-lts of classical
music, I have Edward R Murrow broadcasting the coronation of Elizabeth--and this interesting spot, listed as the first wall to wall broadcast of a disaster type
event, when Little Kathy Fiscus fell in the well, and died.. https://youtu.be/DPheQt3uKOY

https://youtu.be/9cahfL18du0

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 6:13 pm 

ZEFFER1940 wrote:
I have found an assortment of fun stuff on old wires. Many folks recorded MacArthur's speech..lots of birthdays, legal depositions-lts of classical
music, I have Edward R Murrow broadcasting the coronation of Elizabeth--and this interesting spot, listed as the first wall to wall broadcast of a disaster type
event, when Little Kathy Fiscus fell in the well, and died.. https://youtu.be/DPheQt3uKOY

https://youtu.be/9cahfL18du0

I remember that event very well. My parents and I went over to some friends house who had one of the few television sets in the community and watched the rescue. I felt so sorry for the little girl.