Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Wed 14, 2018 6:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: P. A. system feedback
PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 3:04 pm 

I recently purchased a Rauland-borg model 4030 with a sure 575sb microphone. After fitting it with RCA jacks
Instead of 3-way jacks I hooked some old stereo speakers to it. The feedback-howl was terrible when I turned the volume up close to half-way. Turn the mike off and all is quiet. Is there anything I can do to help this condition? The only thing I can think of is that the mike is just too sensitive?
Respectfully yours,
Oldfarmer

Post subject: Re: P. A. system feedback
PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 5:32 pm 

Sounds perfectly normal to me. Get the mic behind the speakers.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 6:11 pm 

Come to think of it I was pretty close to to the speakers.
Thanks, old farmer

PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 7:06 pm 

Using a PA system in a room with lots of hard flat surfaces can also contribute to feedback.
Carpeted floors and fabric on the walls (like drapes) can help negate the acoustic reflections.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 7:55 pm 

You can try connecting the woofers out of phase.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 6:02 am 

Pointing the element end of a microphone toward a speaker, at just about any listening volume, will cause feedback. The largest rejection of feedback is when the cord end of the mic is pointed towards the speaker. Most, but not all, feedback on a PA system is in the midrange.

If you have an EQ for/in the amp, start with it set completely flat, all controls at the midpoint. You want to attenuate the frequency that is feeding back. I find 1khz is a good place to start. A proper EQ job should have about half of the controls above the mid point and the other below. Attenuating all frequencies makes no sense as does boosting every frequency. You want to find a balance. Cutting the EQ in and out should not change the volume only the color.

As mentioned above a room greatly affects a PA system. Hard surfaces will reflect sound waves back to a mic and make trouble. An empty gymnasium without any sound deadening is probably the worst environment to run a PA. Fill that room up with people and your job just got easier. Better yet is a carpeted room with soft walls and ceiling, like a studio. Or the great outdoors, nothing sucks up sound waves like mother nature.

Running sound is both science and art. The tools available now make it much easier to sound good without nearly as much work as it used to be.

Have fun.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 6:29 am 

A directional mic would also help.

Dave

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 12:20 am 

If I recall, the 575 is a small Omnidirectional mic. So you definitely would have to have the speakers in front and pointed away in order to avoid feedback. At the very minimum you need to have this as far away from the speakers as practical.
John S.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 2:14 am 

What exactly is your intention with the system? Because for PA use you definitely want a good directional microphone. That 575 looks like a mic for a consumer tape recorder, not PA use. If you need it for a public address application, I would invest in a quality directional mic, such as maybe a Shure SM58 at the high end, or something more economical but not dirt cheap. Dirt cheap will get you something that will probably break in the middle of some important function, or not really sound good or have ideal characteristics. So what are you thinking of doing? No point in fighting with trying to get the feedback minimized with that mic you have, if you are serious.