Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Thu 16, 2018 1:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Car Tool Kits and Spare Tires
PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 2:50 am 

How many of you carry tool kits in your car? I still do and it's a pretty complete kit with a 3/8 socket set and a bunch of wrenches, pliers, and other tools. I can only remember actually needing it twice. In 1967 I changed a fuel pump on the side of the road. Two or three years ago I put the serpentine belt back on. That's it for road service.

As for spare tires, all the cars I had before my 97 LeSabre had real spare tires, it has a toy tire. The last couple of rental cars I've used had no spare at all. This made me think. I can only remember changing two tires on the side of the road, once around 1965 or so and one in 1967.

So, except for one case it's been 50 years since I needed tools or a spare tire, but I'd still feel a little uncomfortable without something. Maybe I'll at least continue to carry some duct tape.

RRM

Post subject: Re: Car Tool Kits and Spare Tires
PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 3:08 am 

I still carry some tools though I have slimmed the package down over the decades. I now carry mostly a blow molded carry box tool assortment with a few aditional pliers, hammer and battery post cleaner. A set of jumper cables lives in the well with the doughnut spare tire. I used to carry spare parts and more tools but the increased reliability of modern cars (not to mention their complexity) negates having as many tools with me.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 7:07 am 

I keep a full tool box in my old 94' Suburban(which is used as a work truck), and have an older plastic cased Craftsmen 192 piece kit in one of the Jeep's. I'm still building up toolbox's for the Wagoneer and the old Dakota. Got some tools, but still could use more for them. Luckily, I very rarely need anything for any of my vehicles.
All of my vehicles have full sized spares. 3 of them have used them at one point or another. Most the time I changed them in the garage and usually repaired whatever problem i've had with the regular tire. Only had one that needed changing at the side of the road.

I was shocked to find out that a lot of newer cars don't even have spares anymore. My sister has a car from 2013. No spare, can of air and fix a flat if I remember right. I looked into it and found that many others (at that time) were the same. I'm sure the mechanics love that stuff when they go to take off the tire. Luckily I haven't dealt with that schtuff when swapping tires on rims.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 8:13 am 

Retired Radio Man wrote:
it's been 50 years since I needed tools or a spare tire

I didn't even carry anything when I started driving in 1960, and I still don't, beyond a screwdriver (heaven knows what for) and a tire pressure gauge. If I have any problems away from home, I use my cellular to call the insurance companies roadside assistance outfit. I think I've done that once in the last 20 years or so.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 8:41 am 

I'd say it's going on two decades, but we had one memorable roadside flat. We were passed a few miles before by a pickup hauling lots of household and kitchen stuff, obviously moving. Going up a long hill, the Rodeo began to make a little noise/vibration and it didn't feel right, so I pulled over upon reaching the top of the hill. Left front was flat, so we changed it out roadside. At the tire shop, they pulled out a pound or two of ground-up rubber bits, and, the busted off blade of a steak knife inside the tire! You could hardly spot the thin slit where it entered and the handle snapped off on the road leaving the sharp blade within.

Seems the Rodeo is well-balanced, it doesn't dive down on the corner with a flat or give you that thumpthump you usually get when the rim hits the flattened sidewall on the pavement. So we probably drove a mile or so at pretty much normal speed while the air leaked out and the blade did its dirty work.
-Ed

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 3:19 pm 

I've begun to carry to very valuable tools, my AAA card and a cell phone. :lol:

K4DLM

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 6:03 pm 

Dnitram wrote:
I've begun to carry to very valuable tools, my AAA card and a cell phone. :lol:

+1 on that!! I don't even change flats anymore. I have a 100 mile towing range on my policy. Just call AAA and they get me towed to a tire shop. No more dangerous roadside tire changes or repairs out in the cold and wet. Nice thing is that the policy covers me not my car. So if I am in a rental or in a borrowed car I am still covered.

While on this soapbox; if any of you have a grand daughter who drives you ought to consider a AAA membership as a birthday or Christmas present. Just think of her broken down at night alone and what "help" she might get.

However; on long cross country trips I do carry a full sized shop floor jack. JUST IN CASE. I hate the little jacks that come with a car.

Forest Gumping through life

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 6:31 pm 

I carry a fairly large tool kit in a box that's about 18" wide, 8"tall and 8"deep that is jammed with tools. You never know what you'll need when you're miles from the nearest town. Yes, my wife and I have AAA, but that can spoil your whole day waiting for a tow, and then what? Nearest place to rent a car it 50 miles away?
I'd rather take care of it myself if possible. That, or limp it along to the nearest place to get parts... as I did last Friday noted in a different post.

I carry the tools because that is better insurance than AAA. Whatever I bring along in tools, I am assured that I will not need that tool. The only tool I WILL need is the one I did not bring along. So I carry everything I can think of. Just in case.

Best thing is to keep the car in good condition so you don't have breakdowns. I can count on one hand how many times I've had to stop to fix a car. The strangest one was while driving from way up northern MN back to the Twin Cities (where I and my new bride lived at the time) driving south on I-35 in my '65 Corvette the engine suddenly just stopped dead. Like I'd shut the key off, except it backfired a number of times before it quit.
It didn't take me long to figure out that the tachometer cable from the distributor to the tach gauge on the panel had seized, causing stress on the distributor shaft, which caused the distributor to rotate despite the tight hold down clamp. I could see the distributor was turned so I got out a wrench, loosened the hold-down, turned it back to roughly where it should be, snugged the hold down, started the engine, then went back to the distributor and tuned it closer by ear, clamped it down and off we went.
I could only have done that because I had brought tools with me. My new wife was SO impressed! She ain't 'new' anymore, but now she just assumes I'll fix this, or that. Which I generally never seem to get around to.

It does pay to carry tools unless you don't know how to use them. And in this crowd on ARF? Not knowing how to use tools? Bah! Everyone here knows how to use tools. I'm sure of it. But you can't use them if you don't have them.
Mark D.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 6:44 pm 

Had tool boxes in my 20 year old truck only because I had no place to store them,(no basement nor garage) Since selling the truck as a farm truck, tools are now under the floor in my new station wagon, I don't carry them to use, roadside assistance is always there and covered by insurance. Being retired 22 years I don't want to see another tool. Son and I have two race cars running at a local track but he does all the tool work and I just locate 1970's parts when needed.

Last edited by hoffies2 on Feb Tue 06, 2018 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 6:50 pm 

I keep a toolbox in my 2006 GMC 2500HD pickup along with a spare fuel filter and some diesel anti-gel and it came with a spare and jack, a tire repair kit in my 2014 Cadillac ATS (it came with summer only ZP tires with no space for a spare but I use regular all season tires in the winter), and nothing in the Corvette which came with and will keep nothing but ZP tires.

I also take my Innova scan tool in any vehicle I am taking on a longer trip so I can quickly assess whether a CEL is likely to be a real issue or something that can be deferred until the trip is complete.

Other than that my phone and high limit credit card should handle other emergencies :)

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 6:51 pm 

Some tire shops use impact wrenches to cinch the lug nuts super tight. That is a pet peeve of mine. Other than laziness there is no good reason for that. They can damage the wheels that way too. I had one car where they snapped off a stud and did not tell me.

It makes roadside tire changes problematical to impossible. I use my own impact wrench to loosen the lug nuts. Some have taken a long time to beat them loose with my own impact wrench. Once I get them off I add a dab of lube to discourage rust, then re-torque the nuts properly.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 7:18 pm 

Scot Armstrong wrote:
Some tire shops use impact wrenches... I use my own impact wrench to loosen the lug nuts. Some have taken a long time to beat them loose with my own impact wrench. Once I get them off I add a dab of lube to discourage rust, then re-torque the nuts properly.

I do the same thing. I told the mechanic to stay around 100 ft/lbs on a set of tires on my Ranger. He used a cordless Milwaukee impact wrench that he claimed maxed at 450 ft/lbs. I had to use a breaker bar with a 4' cheater when I got home. :evil:

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 7:47 pm 

Mike Toon wrote:
Scot Armstrong wrote:
Some tire shops use impact wrenches... I use my own impact wrench to loosen the lug nuts. Some have taken a long time to beat them loose with my own impact wrench. Once I get them off I add a dab of lube to discourage rust, then re-torque the nuts properly.

I do the same thing. I told the mechanic to stay around 100 ft/lbs on a set of tires on my Ranger. He used a cordless Milwaukee impact wrench that he claimed maxed at 450 ft/lbs. I had to use a breaker bar with a 4' cheater when I got home. :evil:

You need to stop going to "Bozo's Tires". Decent shops set impact wrenches back from max. You can find the correct torque for your vehicle either in the manual or on the web.

RRM

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 8:04 pm 

Person needs to carry tools just to ward off the evil spirits,
if nothing else.

The over tightening thing reminds me of my son-in-laws Dads
Volvo. He brought the car to have SIL rotate tires. No problem
except they broke a 1/2" breaker bar trying to get the lugs off
of the right front wheel.
He wondered if I had a 3/4" drive breaking bar & an adapter to
use. Yes, & then the socket broke. Of course, they had a 6 foot
pipe on the bar----.
I borrowed my Brothers 3/4 electric impact & an impact socket,
& that wouldn't budge it.

Upshot was that he took the car back to the outfit which put the
tires on in the first place. That guy had trouble getting the lugs
off. I told him that I would seriously consider making the tire
guy replace all the studs on that hub.

Never heard what happened, though.
Jim

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 8:21 pm 

Scot Armstrong wrote:
Some tire shops use impact wrenches to cinch the lug nuts super tight. That is a pet peeve of mine. Other than laziness there is no good reason for that. They can damage the wheels that way too. I had one car where they snapped off a stud and did not tell me.

It makes roadside tire changes problematical to impossible. I use my own impact wrench to loosen the lug nuts. Some have taken a long time to beat them loose with my own impact wrench. Once I get them off I add a dab of lube to discourage rust, then re-torque the nuts properly.

Any tire place that is actually worth going to will snug lug nuts with an impact and tighten them to spec with a torque wrench. Even Walmart does it. I never tighten lug nuts down with an impact anymore.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 8:28 pm 

I haven't had to fix anything.... even if I had tools w/me in any car I own since as far back as the 60s
I only ever had older used cars from back when I first started driving in 1959 until 1968.
1954 Mercury, 1951 Ford, 1952 Pontiac, 1961 Chevy wagon.
After that I was able to start buying new cars in 1968.

1968 Chevy wagon, 1972 Toyota, 1975 Datsun 280z, 1981 Corvette, 1981 Jeep Wrangler, 1984 Corvette, 1993 Corvette, 2008 Jeep Patriot.

I twice had to change a flat.
Once on a cold snowy night in 1980 w/my 280Z, and another flat in 1984 with that Vette.

That's it.

I don't even know where the spare tire is on my three current cars. ( I'm sure it's somewhere in the back or under it somewhere)
1981 Vette
1993 Vette
2008 Jeep

I keep AAA and haven't needed to call them since running out of gas at 3 am in 1984.

Last edited by Pbpix on Feb Tue 06, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 8:35 pm 

There is no way to adjust the torque on a impact wrench. You can snug them up with a impact and then use a torque wrench to finish the job. Or you can use your impact along with a torque stick which will stop at the torque the stick is specified for, different colors for different torque. This is what today's shops use.
Attachment:
torque.jpg
torque.jpg [ 243.84 KiB | Viewed 708 times ]

And yes I still carry tools, tow straps and a come-along.

Dave

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 9:36 pm 

I carry one of those 4-ended lug wrench tools I bought when I had my first car in 1976 and it's come in handy several times, and even once when two guys had a flat in front of my house one evening and they couldn't get their lug nuts loose. They were very grateful I had that tool.

I've only had one flat on the road--on the way to work and luckily not on a highway. It had a large-headed roofing nail in the tire. I don't own a cell phone. Someone from the building I work in saw me and stopped. I called my brother-in-law, who surprisingly enough was next door to where I broke down. We got the spare on and I got my car to a service station. I was very lucky.

One other time I was in my work van on the way to a conference. Eastern NC is long stretches of almost nothing on US 70. I could hear the right rear tire making an odd noise, so I slowed down and then stopped at the next exit, which had a rest area, near Havelock. I changed the tire and my full-size spare was very low on air. I slowly drove down the road the rest area was on and two miles in, there was a tire store! I got some air and went on my way. That was another lucky break.

I also now carry a 12-volt air compressor. It's slow, but it works great as long as the tire isn't totally flat. Air sensors in the valve stems are also an advantage and you know something is low in time to do something about it. I have a 2015 Chevy and I haven't even had to put air in the tires yet. They check that at every oil change.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 9:49 pm 

jsowers wrote:

I also now carry a 12-volt air compressor. It's slow, but it works great as long as the tire isn't totally flat.

That reminded me, that in addition to my screwdriver and air pressure gauge in the glove compartment, I also have a can of Fix-A-Flat in the trunk of each car.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 10:29 pm 

easyrider8 wrote:
There is no way to adjust the torque on a impact wrench. You can snug them up with a impact and then use a torque wrench to finish the job. Or you can use your impact along with a torque stick which will stop at the torque the stick is specified for, different colors for different torque. This is what today's shops use.
Attachment:
torque.jpg

And yes I still carry tools, tow straps and a come-along.

Dave

Yep,same here.I've had the set since SnapOn came out with them maybe 20 years ago.But I don't carry any tool except the cell phone.
Phil

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 54 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next