Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Wed 21, 2018 2:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Car Tool Kits and Spare Tires
PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 10:47 pm 

I cut one of the sockets off my X-shaped lug wrench so I could use a pipe to make things easy. I've never seen my tire shop use torque sticks or a torque wrench but they don't over tighten the nuts so they adjusted things somehow.

RRM

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 11:17 pm 

I keep a gorilla wrench, jumper cables and compressor in my vehicles.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 1:23 am 

Retired Radio Man wrote:
I cut one of the sockets off my X-shaped lug wrench so I could use a pipe to make things easy. I've never seen my tire shop use torque sticks or a torque wrench but they don't over tighten the nuts so they adjusted things somehow.

RRM

That's because the guy using the air hammer knows how to use it. It's the maroon's that keep it going b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-until the studs are about to shear off. With an air hammer I can come within 10 ft/lb, which is nothing in this situation. And that's the worst I might do. Usually closer. How do I know this? Because often enough I've checked myself with a torque wrench just to see.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 2:56 am 

Back when I was in college my daily driver was a Lotus Europa S1A and a tool kit was pretty much mandatory, that is if you wanted to get where you were going.

Attachment:
Lotus Europa.jpg
Lotus Europa.jpg [ 69.36 KiB | Viewed 247 times ]

Sorry about the picture. I wasn't all that great a snapshot when it was taken and has seriously faded over the decades.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 6:12 pm 

Wow, nice car! A babe magnet, no doubt?

Even now, I have a kit with a crescent wrench, vise-grips, screwdrivers and channel lock pliers. The other day, we needed a wrench to put a nut back on a cutoff saw. I was the hero who went and got channel-lock pliers from my kit in the car.

The Ford Escape has a mini-spare, but it's never been used AFAIK. I rotate summer and winter tires, so no need for that goofy thing.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 6:23 pm 

I still pack a decent set in the car and a extra box when towing the tear drop. I do a lot of boondocking and being prepared is a must. I also carry radio gear for when I am out of cell range. To be honest though, I have used my tools to help others far more than I have used them for myself. Still, tools have gotten me out of a few of my own jams and even though it is rare to need them I'd feel like I was running around buck naked without them!

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 6:34 pm 

I had the need a couple of nights ago, of two of the most important tools in my vehicle. They have saved my bacon a number of times. They are my cell phone and my AAA membership card. With them, I had my car towed home from off the downtown connector for $25 which covered the extra mileage.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 9:06 pm 

Hmmm. I always try to take care of my problems on my own, not asking others to come and rescue me from my foibles. I grew up with the adage that you'd better take care of your own problems, because everyone else has their problems and they aren't going to take care of yours.

Sometimes you just have to bring someone else into the picture, but when I can, I do.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 10:02 pm 

Where I go cell phones don't work, like Mark said you have to be self-sufficient. I always carry spare parts and tools. Some of the items in the tote in the back of my 4X4 are. Hydraulic jack, come-along, chains, nylon tow strap, rope, heater hose, tape, wire, axe, shovel, first aid kit, hose clamps,air compressor, spare tire in a can, tire repair plugs, jump starter, and other misc items. In the winter I also add winter boots, snowmobile suit, sleeping bag, candles, candy bars.

Dave

PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 1:00 am 

Yep, in winter you can be driving along with a light snowfall, think nothing of it because it's only about an hour drive. It's night. As you drive along the snow gets thicker and heavier. Wind is blowing up drifts now. pretty soon you notice you're the only car on the highway. Wonder why that is... It gets difficult to see where the road is, so you open the front windows so you can see the signs on both sides of the road. Nobody's coning, so you stay sort of in the center of the two lane highway. It gets thicker. There are ruts in the road left by vehicles that have passed through here that are shoving your car around on the road, but you can't stop now because you'll never get going again. You keep up as much speed as you can make so you don't get stalled by the heavy wet snow. You finally get to a town near home, but now you have to turn off onto a narrow county road that hasn't been plowed at all. Can't see.... Get out and clear the packed frozen snow off the headlights. eureka! You can see better again. Scrape the windshield too. You manage to get going, it's not as bad as the highway was because it's heading north, rather than westerly on the highway so the wind is behind you.
Fortunately you make it home. But if you'd gone into the ditch, or just gotten stuck solid in the middle of the highway you'd be in a serious position. The only way to get moving again would be to have a GOOD shovel. Maybe a hoe too, to shove snow out from under the car where a flat snow scoop doesn't work well. Or, a coal scoop or grain shovel.

You can't call AAA - nobody is going to come for you until tomorrow, maybe. You can call 911, but there again you will be waiting for a very long time when the temperature is getting colder and colder as you sit and wait for someone else to get you out of a predicament of your own making.

As it turns out, you had no way of knowing but they had called all the plows off the roads because the snow was too heavy and the plow trucks were getting stuck.

The above is an experience I had several years ago. I did make it home. But I was prepared enough that if I had gotten stuck in some of those nasty frozen ruts, I could have done some physical labor and cleared it enough to get going again.
I had no idea they had called off the plows. When I left the locomotive shop that night in the Twin Cities the radio wasn't saying anything about heavy snow, closed highways, no plows or anything like that. In the Cities, it wasn't even snowing.

And although I have a cell phone, it doesn't work out there. Cell sites are few and far between.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 11, 2018 12:55 am 

westcoastjohn wrote:
Wow, nice car! A babe magnet, no doubt?....
Yeah, it was a babe magnet but, unfortunately, it was too small to hold more than one babe :wink:

Actually, it also served as a 'frivolous babe' filter because it didn't just 'look like' a race car, it WAS a race car and wasn't equipped with frivolous 'creature comforts', like roll up windows, or adjustable seats, or floor carpeting, etc. It was meant for racing and anything else was a 'distraction' (that added unnecessary weight). The only concessions to 'creature comforts' was a heater (stock) and cassette radio (that I added).

The cooling system was designed for England, it seemed, and was a bit insufficient for Houston heat. I must have been the only one in town who, when stuck in rush hour traffic, ran the heater in 110 degree weather trying to keep the motor from overheating. Talk about HOT!

But boy could it handle. I never did find out it's limits because it didn't seem to have any and more than one Corvette spun out trying to keep up with me in the turns. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Feb Sun 11, 2018 2:05 am 

I have a cheap HF 130-piece tool kit, a 4-way wrench and a jumper pack with a compressor.

The cheap toolkit is also nice to carry to places like pull-a-part. I'd rather keep my good tools at home.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 11, 2018 2:39 am 

SHenion wrote:
I'd rather keep my good tools at home.

I'd rather not get my paws dirty and just call roadside assistance. Old fashion calling-only cell phone only equipment needed. :wink:

Oh yeah, and my glasses, so I can see the damn tiny phone number to call, listed on the card.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 11, 2018 3:01 pm 

I've always had a good assortment of tools stashed away in all of
my cars. And spare parts too; belts, fuses, oil and other things.
As a result I've never had to be towed. The crummy pseudo-spare
tire in the only newer car I've owned was replaced with a real one.

Older cars had basic but very useful tool kits. My MGTD even includes
a built in tool box.
Steve

PostPosted: Feb Sun 11, 2018 11:36 pm 

It is a matter of course that the British cars would have a tool kit. I've been around enough British cars to know that the allotted trunk space still isn't enough to hold all the tools you'd be very likely to need on a British car... of any make or model.
Yes, I am exaggerating. But not the most reliable vehicles on the planet.

But as I've said before, all the tools you carry with you means all those tools won't be needed. It's the ones you don't bring that you are likely to need. Murphy says so.

And it doesn't just end with cars. I go way out in the woods to cut down a couple of very long dead Ash trees for good firewood. I bring a saw, a wheel barrow and a 6 foot pry bar. I figure that's all I need.
So it's no surprise when I find I need a couple of handy jacks and a chain, plus a maul. I should have known better than to go without them. It's long walk back and forth.
I guess I could call on my cell phone to see if someone from AAA will come out with the needed stuff...

Strictly speaking, when you don't have the tools, you call AAA and they send out a wrecker. This could take several hours for the truck to show up. When my wife hit a deer, it was beyond getting running out there on the highway, but no tow truck would come until the next day. If that had been just a minor thing and I had no tools it would be a long time over night sleeping in the car just because I don't have the facilities to make it go again. I have to expect SOMEONE ELSE to bail me out. It was just fortunate for her that I was driving behind her, so she did have a ride back home to get another car. We left the deer damaged car where it was until the next day. Not because we wanted to, but because we had to, depending on others. Had I not been required in the Twin Cities I probably would have used my own trailer to haul it home that night.

And always remember - Cell phones don't work everywhere. I am aware that people who live their entire lives within a large metropolis somewhere don't understand this, but you get out into the country your cell phone isn't necessarily going to work for you when you need it most.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 11, 2018 11:53 pm 

Nowadays you need an 'electronics kit' to 'fix' almost anything in a modern car.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 1:16 am 

Flipperhome wrote:
Nowadays you need an 'electronics kit' to 'fix' almost anything in a modern car.

I carry a OBDII interface for my phone. Nice to see any problem that pops up and also doubles as a MPG and trip counter.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 3:29 am 

SHenion wrote:
Flipperhome wrote:

I carry a OBDII interface for my phone. Nice to see any problem that pops up and also doubles as a MPG and trip counter.
Me too but it's like gauges. They may tell you what's wrong but they don't 'fix' anything.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 3:40 am 

We carry a full earthquake/emergency kit, with some tools. Our new BMW 340ixGT has run-flat tires and no spare. I'd read bad things about run-flats, but these seem just fine, as it rides and handles quite nicely. Progress, not just change, is nice.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 5:52 pm 

Flipperhome wrote:

Not really. When you're driving down the highway and you have a basic failure of a part of the car you will pretty well know what to look for. If you hear a bang from under the hood and then lots of rattling and behind you a lot of smoke you could guess that you don't have the tools with you to fix a blown engine.
But if you notice an overheating condition you can stop and take care of the problem, if only a temporary fix.
If you notice your alternator isn't charging anymore you can find a safe place to get off the highway, figure out why it's not alternating anymore and at worst limp along on the battery until you can find an auto parts store and change out the alternator. Water pumps, belts, the common failures basically, are what stop most cars on the highways. Ingenuity plays a big part in making your car go again with minimal resources. Of course there are limits to what can be done.
Mark D.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 54 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next