Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Sat 18, 2018 5:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: WTB ad thoughts.
PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 3:39 pm 

I have a gripe, well maybe more of an irritant that I wanted to get off my chest and perhaps hear others opinions. I check the classified section of this site periodically, and as expected, see both for sale and wanted to buy ads. In virtually all the for sale ads, you see photos of what is being sold. But in very few of the wanted to buy ads do you see a photo of an example of what is being sought. I personally do not have all the models memorized. I think its asking allot to not only ask for the item, but to ask the person viewing the ad to do the research of what exactly is being sought. IMHO, It doesnt take much to find an image online and link to that image url as its hosted. I am not sure if this changes the likelihood of you finding what you are looking for or not, but it seems to me an image would help. Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: WTB ad thoughts.
PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 5:14 pm 

I agree with you 100%. Most people have boxes or drawers with spare parts that they have no idea what radio they came from. Very few people can identify something by just a model number.

It only makes sense if one is serious about seeking a part like a knob, or a complete radio, that they would be able to supply a good clear photo of what they are looking for.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 5:39 pm 

Exactly right and in many cases even if the potential supplier knows what radio HIS part came from it is quite likely that it is identical to the part the requester needs for HIS radio.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 6:44 pm 

I've seen several WTBs with something I know I have but without a picture I don't bother.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 6:58 pm 

"Farmer seeks wife. Wife must own tractor. If interested, please send photo of tractor".

:) Greg.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 3:09 am 

as for the WTB ads, I've wondered the same thing for years...

most likely, I have absolutely no idea what speaker, knob, dial, grill cloth, POT, IFT, and the like is used in a Zenith XYZ123 radio. I've had well over 1000 radios cross my path in the last 38 years.

OTOH, if one shows me a picture of the set and the part that is being sought after, I might be able to help. a picture is worth a thousand words.

for me, a no picture and/or a no link WTB goes like this: no picture, no link, equals no effort by me to do the author's homework.

it's back arrow on the browser.

steve

PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 4:33 am 

+ 1 radiorewind.

I agree.

My personal favorite of these time-wasting ads are the ones wanting knobs. They apparently
think we have every knob style and every radio model memorized.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 4:52 am 

help people help you (the wanter) by adding pictures and/or links.

it is as simple as that.

:wink:

steve

PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 2:44 pm 

One thing i try to do is find an image online already. Right click on it, click view original image, and then copy the URl of that image. Then paste that into the image link of the post. It allows you to use the image without actually uploading and hosting it. Takes just a minute or two.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 7:01 pm 

....and despite this discussion, there are new WTB ads with no photo/ink, much less a model number of the unit they want parts for.

I guess y'all are supposed to keep on guessing.....me, I wish we had an "ignore post" button :wink:

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 8:09 pm 

egg wrote:
"Farmer seeks wife. Wife must own tractor. If interested, please send photo of tractor".

:) Greg.
+1

But could it be some cannot or will not manage the photo posting mechanics. I guess that if it isn't drag and drop, it's too hard...

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 2:26 am 

I agree a photo should be posted unless it's something where a photo should not be needed. ( WTB - RCA type 80 globe tube) I don't think we need a photo for that.

I know just enough to be dangerous.....
(Member - Michigan Antique Radio Club)

PostPosted: Feb Tue 13, 2018 8:53 am 

Sometimes it happens that you simply can't find a photo of a part you need. In one instance of a connector I need, I actually had to run a thread requesting a photo, so that I could write a WTB ad.

Eventually I did receive a photo, but it hasn't helped. Still haven't found the connector.