Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Sat 23, 2018 5:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New Windstream Email?
PostPosted: Jan Wed 31, 2018 2:27 am 

Anybody use Windstream for email? We've used it for years, and they keep "upgrading" it. Two days ago, a brand new version was foisted upon us. This is the most confounding, complicated and un-friendly version yet! It's like using the full version of Photoshop to simply view a picture. Or buying a 53-foot diesel-pusher motorhome to drive 2 miles to the post office. Makes about as much sense as being forsced to use a GPS-enabled crowbar. Sheesh! I don't relish the thought of changing my email address, which would be quite an undertaking at this point - we've used the same email address for over 20 years. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Dan

Post subject: Re: New Windstream Email?
PostPosted: Jan Wed 31, 2018 1:32 pm 

web mail?

download a client like Thunderbird.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 31, 2018 3:19 pm 

Better to change your Email address now while the old one is still functional.

I had a Wildflower address and Google gave Wildflower free support

Except after a couple of years Google pulled their support and I called Wildflower up and they admitted there was no plan B

PostPosted: Jan Wed 31, 2018 4:01 pm 

I've had a yahoo account for over 20 years and am dreading changing it, but I know I'm going to have to. I just get too much junk mail, being on too many lists, and the interface is getting way too crowded with ads.

Gmail is free and will doubtless be around a while, so I'm thinking of moving to it.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 31, 2018 4:46 pm 

Sol wrote:
I've had a yahoo account for over 20 years and am dreading changing it, but I know I'm going to have to. I just get too much junk mail, being on too many lists, and the interface is getting way too crowded with ads.

Gmail is free and will doubtless be around a while, so I'm thinking of moving to it.

run "Ad Blocker pro", free download, works great, yahoo mail is much faster

PostPosted: Jan Wed 31, 2018 6:25 pm 

In the new Windstream webmail you can click Preferences and then the very first choice is Advanced (Ajax) or Standard (html). I can't see much difference between the two, but maybe you will? I did have to go through all my contacts when they changed webmail and give them a first and last name in the appropriate space. At least they didn't lose any of them. I use it to send out a family reunion announcement every year. I didn't see a whole lot different in the interface, but I haven't used it a lot, to be honest.

I normally use Outlook 2010 and POP3 for my email. Windstream's POP3 server has been strange the last few weeks. Sometimes I get lags checking my mail and sometimes it slows down and then it asks for my email password and then still won't login. Then it works OK. The same thing has happened to my mom, who is on Time-Warner/Spectrum, with Outlook checking her old account at Windstream that's a child account on mine. I think they may be under a denial of service attack, a slow pipe or have a balky server or something. It seems to get better after midnight, for what that's worth. A couple times I've had to use webmail to download a large attachment because the POP3 server just times out. Another time it was just dead in the water for several hours. Other times it works perfectly.

They have some problems over at Windstream and I hope they get them fixed. I think they got onto a spam blacklist in November/December because I sent a several emails to a group of 20 people after Thanksgiving and some got it and some didn't. AOL stopped accepting Windstream emails at one point and I think Yahoo did too. It was a total mess and nothing about the problem was communicated by Windstream to their customers at all. Some of the ISPs just threw my emails away and didn't return them. At least AOL sent a few things back to tell me what was going on.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 2:10 pm 

Thanks for all your replies. It seems that Windstream is rolling out this new system in chunks. Sort of like delivering the right shoe on Monday, left sock on Tuesday, etc. etc. etc. There have been a few new features added almost daily; the whole system is beginning to make sense. Why in the world they would put out a partially functioning product is beyond me. . . .

Dan

PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 2:04 am 

Sol wrote:

That works. No spam and interfaces with pretty much every mail reader.

Visit my homebrew page
www.sparkbench.com/homebrew/homebrew.html