Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise


It is currently Aug Tue 21, 2018 7:31 am


All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: A Tesla car is in orbit
PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 2:59 am 
Member

Joined: Jan Mon 28, 2013 9:35 pm
Posts: 1055
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
At first I thought this was a joke. But nope, a Tesla was used
as a dummy payload on a Space-X missle launch. A convertable
no less with a astronaut dummy in the drivers seat.
Hillarious!
Steve

_________________
'cell phones and the internet are tools, not a lifestyle'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A Tesla car is in orbit
PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 3:04 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 871
Location: Wayside, NJ Monmouth
Just goes to show you what can be done if you get the Government out of the way. Show the lunch on TV. That's one big rocket.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A Tesla car is in orbit
PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 3:22 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug Fri 13, 2010 5:29 am
Posts: 2289
Location: Indiana
I hope it lands in my driveway.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A Tesla car is in orbit
PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 3:28 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec Tue 01, 2015 5:31 am
Posts: 1584
Location: Columbus Ohio
pretty cool too was the 2 boosters making a perfect landing, in sync, ready to be fueled up and used again.

_________________
Joe - There's no shortage of cruelty to animals: http://joinASPCA.org


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A Tesla car is in orbit
PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 3:36 am 
Member

Joined: Aug Tue 02, 2011 10:47 pm
Posts: 1713
Location: New York, NY
No more parking tickets!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A Tesla car is in orbit
PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 3:51 am 
Member

Joined: Jul Sun 09, 2006 3:11 am
Posts: 5571
Location: Aurora, CO
More human debris littering space. I hope it veers off course and soars out of the solar system.
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/stat ... ebris.html

_________________
ex nihilo nihil fit


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A Tesla car is in orbit
PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 3:59 am 
Member

Joined: Aug Thu 20, 2015 3:09 pm
Posts: 810
Location: Albion, CA, USA, 95410
N2LXM wrote:
Just goes to show you what can be done if you get the Government out of the way. Show the lunch on TV. That's one big rocket.


Space-X stands on the shoulders of giants. The only reason that Space-X can do what they are doing is that NASA paved the way. Back when there was no profit to be made no company could have made a go of it. It took a lot of money and a lot of smart monkeys to create the technology that Space-X is building upon. I love Space-X and they are doing incredible work. But the never could have done it without the pioneers and visionaries of NASA.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A Tesla car is in orbit
PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 4:26 am 
Member

Joined: Aug Tue 02, 2011 10:47 pm
Posts: 1713
Location: New York, NY
madlabs wrote:
N2LXM wrote:
Just goes to show you what can be done if you get the Government out of the way. Show the lunch on TV. That's one big rocket.


Space-X stands on the shoulders of giants. The only reason that Space-X can do what they are doing is that NASA paved the way. Back when there was no profit to be made no company could have made a go of it. It took a lot of money and a lot of smart monkeys to create the technology that Space-X is building upon. I love Space-X and they are doing incredible work. But the never could have done it without the pioneers and visionaries of NASA.

I have a feeling Space-X would be the first to agree. Didn't they take off from one of the old Apollo pads?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A Tesla car is in orbit
PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 7:49 am 
Member

Joined: Aug Wed 24, 2011 4:35 am
Posts: 4060
Location: Sunnyvale CA
Tim Mullen wrote:
madlabs wrote:
N2LXM wrote:
Just goes to show you what can be done if you get the Government out of the way. Show the lunch on TV. That's one big rocket.


Space-X stands on the shoulders of giants. The only reason that Space-X can do what they are doing is that NASA paved the way. Back when there was no profit to be made no company could have made a go of it. It took a lot of money and a lot of smart monkeys to create the technology that Space-X is building upon. I love Space-X and they are doing incredible work. But the never could have done it without the pioneers and visionaries of NASA.

I have a feeling Space-X would be the first to agree. Didn't they take off from one of the old Apollo pads?


Well, actually, they and Musk in particular don't seem to agree. They spend an awful lot of time bad-mouthing everything that came before and calling everyone idiots and dinosaurs. Although SpaceX is far from the worst case, which is probably Burt Rutan.

Brett


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A Tesla car is in orbit
PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 3:01 pm 
Member

Joined: Jan Mon 28, 2013 9:35 pm
Posts: 1055
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Don't understand how anyone could criticise NASA. They accomplished
the impossible in a very short period of time. I consider the
moon landings to be the most significant event in my lifetime.

Apparently the plan is to send the Tesla car to Mars and park it
in orbit there. Eventually. This still cracks me up on several levels.
Steve

_________________
'cell phones and the internet are tools, not a lifestyle'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A Tesla car is in orbit
PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 3:46 pm 
Member

Joined: May Sun 28, 2017 9:08 pm
Posts: 315
Location: Whiteville, TN
I actually met Burt Rutan years back on a cross country flight for my commercial license quals. He was emerging as the designer-builder genius of the century. He did take the time to talk with a fledgling aviator for a moment and he seemed quite pleasant if a bit preoccupied. He has established more breakthroughs in aero design that ever dreamed possible. He has shown that the aerospace professors at University of Kansas were quite the morons I suspected. Limited posers with no practical experience. I can see where Rutan could develop an attitude by realizing that most engineering schools were quite usless, whose only mission was to separate money from students in exchange for a diploma. The real learning happened if they actually got a job in the field.

_________________
Karl
KI4ZUQ


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A Tesla car is in orbit
PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 4:09 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 871
Location: Wayside, NJ Monmouth
Quote:
Space-X stands on the shoulders of giants. The only reason that Space-X can do what they are doing is that NASA paved the way.
Yes you are right on that point. But it is still a major feat to do what they have done. I would like to see the face of an alien who comes across the car driving through space.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A Tesla car is in orbit
PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 5:01 pm 
Member

Joined: Aug Thu 20, 2015 3:09 pm
Posts: 810
Location: Albion, CA, USA, 95410
N2LXM wrote:
Quote:
Space-X stands on the shoulders of giants. The only reason that Space-X can do what they are doing is that NASA paved the way.
Yes you are right on that point. But it is still a major feat to do what they have done. I would like to see the face of an alien who comes across the car driving through space.


Agreed indeed! Space-X is doing mind boggling stuff!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A Tesla car is in orbit
PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 7:42 pm 
Member

Joined: Jun Mon 24, 2013 3:00 pm
Posts: 1106
Location: Champaign IL 61822
It was very hard this morning to find out if in fact the rocket fired properly to
get out of Earth orbit.

It did. In fact, the chart they showed (and a statement) indicate that it will
almost make it out to the orbit of Ceres.

Remember, however, that NASA most surely and absolutely stands on the
shoulders of the Nazi rocket scientists.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A Tesla car is in orbit
PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 7:57 pm 
Member

Joined: Jun Sun 15, 2014 5:37 pm
Posts: 70
But didn't the nazis rocket scientists stand on the shoulders of American rocketeer Robert H. Goddard?

Michael


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A Tesla car is in orbit
PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 9:07 am 
Site Admin

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 10164
Location: Baguio City, Philippines
This thread has a better title, but this is covered here http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vie ... 2&t=335463


Top
 Profile  
 
Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 16 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], MariaR and 18 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
























Privacy Policy :: Powered by phpBB