Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Wed 15, 2018 11:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hooray...we're back
PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 8:31 am 

Congratulations and thanks, Alan.

- Leigh

Post subject: Re: Hooray...we're back
PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 8:33 am 
Site Admin

Actually, we're not. It's a long story. I'll post it in an announcement above.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 8:41 am 

Hi Alan,

If I may suggest...

A DNS problem can be circumvented by just posting the IP address of the site. Then we can use it even if the DNS lookups are not correct.

And there's another problem related to DNS... router caches. Most routers cache often-used URLs and IP addresses so they don't need to go to a DNS server every time. It can take a while for those caches to get flushed and retrieve new info from the real server. The amount of time varies with each router and with the activity level, so it's totally unpredictable.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 8:59 am 
Site Admin

I tried that. The IP address they provided went to a default server page, even though it was supposed to be just for this site. Their DNS info is unstandard and not accepted by GoDaddy, Cloudflare and several others.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 9:21 pm 

Alan Voorhees wrote:
I tried that. The IP address they provided went to a default server page, even though it was supposed to be just for this site. Their DNS info is unstandard and not accepted by GoDaddy, Cloudflare and several others.

I am not sure if I should reply here or send a PM.

I just tried the current site (site5) by IP address (108.174.146.111) and it went to the main site5 web page. So accessing a site by IP address does not work for certain setups. I think that the server wants to see the string 'www.antiqueradios.com' being sent by the browser.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 9:42 pm 

I'm still having problems with pages not loading fast sometimes, but it's much better than it was.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 10:40 pm 

Tom Schulz wrote:
Alan Voorhees wrote:

I am not sure if I should reply here or send a PM.

I just tried the current site (site5) by IP address (108.174.146.111) and it went to the main site5 web page. So accessing a site by IP address does not work for certain setups. I think that the server wants to see the string 'www.antiqueradios.com' being sent by the browser.

I tried for my site and the same thing happens. I always believed to could get to a site just with the IP, but I'm at lease 4 years out of touch with webology

172.217.8.14 gets you google.com

Haven't found another that works

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)

PostPosted: Feb Sun 11, 2018 12:56 am 

Cheat, and add a hosts file entry....

/etc/hosts, on Linux
c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts, on Windows

See:
https://support.rackspace.com/how-to/mo ... osts-file/

Most web servers these days need a to see which host your looking for in the HTTP headers so they can chose the correct entry via the named virtual host support in most modern web servers.

Alan's former new web server was at 45.56.223.127. Hosts trickery to that address just returned a "Index of /" page with a cgi-bin subdirectory. (eg, no site.) The cgi-bin sub directory just errored out.

The only thing I did notice from the other thread was ns.v978901.hostpapavps.net, does not exist. Its ns1.v978901.hostpapavps.net, I presume that was a minor typo on his part.

Beyond just the lack of website, I'm guessing the new name servers don't consider themselves authoritative for the antiqueradios.com domain, and the zone transfer failed from there...

David

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 3:24 am 

Saturday evening, Feb 11, 2018, it was slow as molasses and there were many times I could not even get on the site.

tonight, sunday evening, I barely have been able to get on and view the site and if so, it takes 2-3 minutes and dozens of tries.

it is as bad or worse than it ever was.

steve

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 3:43 am 

Not at my end, ARF pages are loading very fast.

Sal

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 5:42 am 

Dutch Rabbit wrote:
Saturday evening, Feb 11, 2018, it was slow as molasses and there were many times I could not even get on the site.

tonight, sunday evening, I barely have been able to get on and view the site and if so, it takes 2-3 minutes and dozens of tries.

it is as bad or worse than it ever was.

steve

Download Steve Gibsons DNS benchmark and see if your DNS is optimized. Don't download it from anywhere but Steve's site: https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

PostPosted: Feb Tue 13, 2018 3:13 am 

i regulary do an ipconfig/flushdns.

steve

PostPosted: Feb Tue 13, 2018 4:02 am 

Dutch Rabbit wrote:
i regulary do an ipconfig/flushdns.steve

Not the same as optimizing your DNS servers. Did you download/run DNS Benchmark? It shows you the fastest DNS servers to connect to. If DNS servers are still having trouble with the new ARF location, which they shouldn't, you still may have better performance with a more appropriate DNS server.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 13, 2018 4:22 am 

i may give it a try if things get terrible again.

tonight, ARF is fine.

so far...

thanks.

steve

PostPosted: Feb Wed 14, 2018 12:13 am 

Here's a sample of the DNS Benchmark. 8.8.8.8 is Google. 9.9.9.9 is a new one from Quad 9, a consortium of tech companies like IBM, etc. who decided to do something about global internet security. They don't allow DNS connections to servers that contain known malware. In my area it's a little slower but that's expected to change in the next year or so as they add DNS servers. More about Quad 9 in the quote, then see my actual benchmark in the screenshot. Fastest DNS speeds are at the top. Quad 9 was there, but cropped out for image size.

Quote:
Just reported on Ars, The Global Cyber Alliance in partnership with IBM ECM and Packet Clearing House has launched a new, and free, service to combat the bad and the ugly for the greater good of the internet! Similar to Google's public DNS (8.8.8.8), just use their IP 9.9.9.9 (hence "Quad 9", so clever!). The service is working to block botnets, phishing attacks, and other known bad devices. This service gets its intelligence from 19 different feeds, including IBM's X-force.

Attachments:
Image3.jpg
Image3.jpg [ 133.4 KiB | Viewed 483 times ]