Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Wed 21, 2018 2:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: FORUM HOSTING ISSUES CONTINUE
PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 9:55 pm 

Eughhh. What an awful experience. +1 for dreamhost.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 10:28 pm 

No good deed goes unpunished but you will hang in there and get it done.Thanks for the effort!
Phil

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 12:55 am 

Eickerman wrote:
BikeNEPA wrote:
Godaddy support was truly awful, they were more interested in trying to see you something vs helping you fix was was generally they issues.
Both of my kids worked for Godaddy briefly. The support people are scored on being able to sell you something else whether you need it or not AND on how many calls they handle in a day (depends on them being able to get you off the phone whether you are actually helped or not). The support people really are not support, they are sales disguised as support. Both of my kids found it to be a horrible experience because they actually tried to solve the problems and just got dinged for it. They quickly moved on to other jobs.
Curtis Eickerman

That must be the current business model for a lot of companies. I gave up trying to get support from Comcast a few years ago. I dumped them because every service call was quickly turned into a sales pitch. Same thing for CenturyLink. Luckily my son-in-law works for them so I can get real help if I need it.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 2:57 am 

At the risk of sounding like I'm defending these companies (I'm definitely not), the devils advocate view here would be that consumers have driven some of them to be supplying a product at the dirt cheap prices we expect these days - the only way those companies survive is to sell a LOT of whatever it is they sell, and then sell value-added upgrades to make a living. Its like the $40 smart phone - you pay for that phone by buying minutes, texts and data. Printers are the same - the income to HP, Epson etc comes from selling ink, not the printer.

I have my own VPS for my own web development and websites, including the New Zealand vintage radio site - but its through a fairly small but experienced crowd called RimuHosting - and they are nothing short of amazing compared to the bigger companies - they have Linux gurus (not just phone monkeys) on hand around the clock for support, and everything just runs smoothly with them. I've used them for close to 10 years now. Not a sales pitch, just credit where credit is due. I pay more than I would with a crowd like GoDaddy - but I do it gladly. I pay for experienced IT engineers, for good uptime, and to know that if I need help I can get it.

Bigger is not better in the hosting game. Bigger just means they've started playing a numbers game. Which is probably akin to playing Russian Roulette.

Anyway Alan, I hope you get it sorted - having the site offline made me actually have to get up from the computer and go do something else :lol:

Cheers

Steve

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 4:23 am 

I've been satisfied using QTH.com for my personal hosting.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 5:43 am 

Greetings to the Forum:

+1 to Nate's comment. I don't have anything nearly as complicated as the ARF, but my little web site works reliably and well... and Scott is always ready to help personally with technical or billing issues.... not that I've really had either.

Here is my website URL hosted by QTH.com:

http://www.centcoast.com/

It appears that ARF is back up and running.... many thanks to Alan for all the effort and frustration in making this happen.

Regards,

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 8:51 am 

Might be skeptical that godaddy is 'as seen on TV' alongside.... you know whatall.
Quote:
The support people are scored on......
Exactly what Dell did ca. 2001; results not pretty from customer perspective. Sounded good as a middle-management Powerpoit (sic) slideshow.

Which brings us to "new business model", the carcinoma of commerce. Grab market share with the shoddiest product/service that will skate by. Not all business has adopted NBM, guess sorting which have/haven't is the NCM, new customer model.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 7:10 pm 

WOW!
Working like a real website now,I can actually edit a post lightning fast instead of the usual 2 minutes it would take before!
THANKS ALAN!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 7:35 pm 

Philco Fan wrote:
WOW!
Working like a real website now,I can actually edit a post lightning fast instead of the usual 2 minutes it would take before!
THANKS ALAN!!! :lol:

But it is not the new site, it is still the old one. But is does seem much faster. I wonder if the hosting provider decided to do something to improve service of if it is better for no apparent reason.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 7:55 pm 

Tom Schulz wrote:
I wonder if the hosting provider decided to do something to improve service of if it is better for no apparent reason.

Ahh, but there IS an apparent reason; they were gonna lose this site and whatever income it produces for them if they didn't improve their service. Now it's just a matter of determining if the site will STAY this way... :wink:

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 10:03 pm 

I note only an occasional improvement in this site. That is, it does not hang up several
seconds as often. Other than that it has always worked fine for me.

I don't see any terrible rush need for the owner to go to a better host site ...
he should get the job done really really correctly to a known good place.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 11:48 pm 

I think the only reason you're seeing any speed improvement is because people are holding back views/messaging for the transfer to happen.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 11:58 pm 

Tom Schulz wrote:
But it is not the new site, it is still the old one. But is does seem much faster. I wonder if the hosting provider decided to do something to improve service of if it is better for no apparent reason.

I was one who was having chronic speed problems on this site, but today it is like a new site. I think the current provider corrected the problem once Alan told them that he was dropping them....not a good business model.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 3:49 am 

Alan,

The Contribution page still has your Oakland mailing address.

Is that still good? Is there a better one?

- Leigh

PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 5:11 am 

I already sent my check to Oakland. Hope it gets forwarded!

Bob

PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 12:00 pm 
Site Admin

The mailing address listed on the contribution page is:

Alan Voorhees
20993 Foothill Blvd., #533
Hayward, CA 94541

And mail there will get to me in one to two months.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 2:38 pm 

The PayPal account is still good, I hope?

PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 8:30 pm 

NinelSox wrote:
Im not sure how many web-savvy people we have on this forum, but come November it will be time for me to either resubscribe with GoDaddy or choose a different provider. I only purchased a year of hosting for this site, as I wanted to make sure that it was going to last before I committed to more. From now on, though, Ill be resubscribing in at least two year increments mostly because you guys have proven to be awesome, but also because its a better deal financially in the long run.

So the question is: do I continue to try to reach out to GoDaddy support and figure out what the deal is? Is it actually the hosting thats responsible, or is it something on our end? Is there anyone here who is savvy with these issues and would have some sort of clue as to what the problem is?

For www.antiqueradios.com, GoDaddy is just doing the domain registration. www.antiqueradios.com itself is hosted by a company called stie5.com. An attempt was made this week to move the site to a new hosting company, which so far has failed to happen.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 8:36 pm 

Peter Bertini wrote:
The PayPal account is still good, I hope?

Worked for me this week. PayPal sent an acknowledgement that the funds went through.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 11, 2018 2:18 am 

It appears that arf is still being hosted from a server in Texas!

Greg.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 46 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next