Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Thu 20, 2018 1:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Gentrification and hipsterization of everything...
PostPosted: Feb Tue 20, 2018 5:53 pm 

As my wife and I had the day off yesterday for the holiday we figured we would take a little trip up to Sonoma county, maybe do a bit of wine tasting, maybe get lunch, look at some stuff at junk stores and whatnot. We've done this sort of thing off and on for years but its been probably 3-4 years since we out to the area we were in yesterday. Its an area sort of around Sebastopol and Santa Rosa CA. We haven't gone to Napa in years since that entire area is now just ridiculously overrun and expensive. A few years ago we could go to Sonoma, Livermore, The Russian River area and spend the whole day lazily going from one vineyard to another and often times there were only one or two other couples at each place and if you went earlier, hardly anyone at all. Just a laid back and cheap way to take it easy. If there was a fee to taste it was like $5 and waived if you bought a bottle. It was a good way to actually sample things and then know what you were buying.

Well... that has all changed. Every single winery was overcrowded. The parking lots full. On top of that ALL of them now have jacked their fees to between $10-$20 and sometimes even per person even if you share, which we often do to make sure we aren't getting drunk. That and the kinds of people there the kind who drive BMWs or other fancy-dancy cars, complete with custom designed baby strollers and cute hiking/outdoorsy outfits.

And then we decided to get lunch in Sebastopol. There was an entirely NEW chunk of downtown full of brand-new warehouse looking buildings. All full of boutique smoothie bars, microbreweries, art galleries and expensive real estate offices. That area too was a total madhouse overflowing with hipsters and folks who clearly either have or want to appear to have lotsa' money.

Its become like this all over the bay area and much of Northern California. Its just about impossible to go to any brewery, bar, restaurant, grocery store or even antique show without it being just totally overrun by people and usually the kinds of folks I previously described. I suppose on that note its been great for us at the antique shows: We now tend to sell out of stuff versus before where we were lucky to cover the expense of booth rental.

But as someone who is generally not very social and dislikes large crowds its getting to a point where just going out somewhere is kind of stressful. That and the amount of money and people who clearly enjoy spending it is obnoxious. Like where did all of these people come from? Not EVERYONE can simply be loaded and leaking money out of their pockets. I am totally being a hypocrite BTW because I too like doing a lot of the things these folks do. The difference is that I'm the biggest cheap-skate ever and so while they might pull up in a shiny BMW or some other Euro-looking vehicle I'll pull up in my rattly old 23 year old truck and probably ruin the atmosphere for them.

Oh well... I'm totally being a crabby old man even though I'm 40...

Post subject: Re: Gentrification and hipsterization of everything...
PostPosted: Feb Tue 20, 2018 6:09 pm 

It's not just that way in your area, it's happening everywhere. People are finding the need to show off more than ever before. Like you, it makes me smile to park an old rusty car with no wheel covers in one of their classy lots or drive through their upscale areas in it.

I'm thinking if I ever won the lottery and could afford it, just to play with them I'd buy a waterfront mansion and go to the junkyard and buy the rustiest, beat up Cadillac I could find and put it up on blocks in the front yard. :shock:

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 20, 2018 6:38 pm 

Sadly, yes. The wineries have learned to promote the tasting experience and use it as a profit center. Unfortunately for those of us who used to tour for the purpose of purchasing wine based on tastings, their profit center marketing is working. This is not limited to the popular wine regions of California. Southern Oregon (and I suspect the Willamette Valley and Columbia River Valley) have adopted the practice. A few years ago the "old" experience was still available at small rural out of the way wineries but even that is changing with some wineries in places like Manton, CA now marketing tastings and charging a modest tasting fee. Rural wineries are also closing tasting rooms at the winery in favor of wine tasting salons (tastings from multiple wineries in one building) located in high traffic areas such as one building in Hopland representing wineries throughout the Anderson Valley. Half the fun of visiting the winery is the scenery and drive (with designated driver as appropriate)! Even if I chose to spend the money for the tastings, the large crowds keep me away now.

Norman

Last edited by Braithwaite on Feb Tue 20, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 20, 2018 6:40 pm 

bobwilson1977 wrote:

But as someone who is generally not very social and dislikes large crowds its getting to a point where just going out somewhere is kind of stressful. That and the amount of money and people who clearly enjoy spending it is obnoxious. Like where did all of these people come from?

Over 39 million ppl in this state and you want to know where they all came from? :roll: :wink:

bobwilson1977 wrote:
The difference is that I'm the biggest cheap-skate ever

SECOND biggest... :D

PostPosted: Feb Tue 20, 2018 9:47 pm 

fifties wrote:
bobwilson1977 wrote:

But as someone who is generally not very social and dislikes large crowds its getting to a point where just going out somewhere is kind of stressful. That and the amount of money and people who clearly enjoy spending it is obnoxious. Like where did all of these people come from?

Over 39 million ppl in this state and you want to know where they all came from? :roll: :wink:

bobwilson1977 wrote:
The difference is that I'm the biggest cheap-skate ever

SECOND biggest... :D

Get in line... :lol:

PostPosted: Feb Tue 20, 2018 10:29 pm 

Think you got it bad. I just moved from but still work in Loudoun Co Virginia. Consistently ranked the #1 richest county in the US for the last several years with a median household income of over $120k a year. When we moved there in '83 it was a nice quiet place. Now its nothing but wall to wall million dollar+ Mc Mansions, vinyards, German and Italian cars and people who think they own the road, yuppy tanks, snobs, hipster strip malls and the elite entitled folks who think they rule the world from their desk at the server farm. These people probably find it offensive that I breathe their air.

Its whatever. We got the hell outta there. Moved to WV. A beautiful rancher on 2.5 secluded acres. Sure the drive is a pain but the beauty and peace and quiet are well worth it.

Oh and I work nights. That way I don't have to deal with them :lol: :mrgreen: .

PostPosted: Feb Tue 20, 2018 10:32 pm 

I never thought our family was poor as I always had enough to eat, although I recall we did regularly have Kraft Macaroni & Cheese for dinner. I did find out what it was to be well-off when I got a job during my last 2 years in college at the Bank of America in Beverly Hills, CA. Our small branch was about a mile from Rodeo Drive and I was the new accounts representative. I couldn't believe how much money most people had when I would open a new account, although occasionally someone would want to open an account so they could have a Beverly Hills address on their checks. One day, an older women came to the bank and wanted to rest a bit, so I had her sit in the chair at my desk. I could tell that she was a little lonely and as I didn't have any customers waiting, we had a nice conversation. I would see this customer quite frequently and she would stop by and chat. One day, the lady decided to open an account with quite a lot of money, but really got excited when I said that the bank would validate her parking ticket! It turned out that this customer would eat lunch at a restaurant near the bank, but would have to pay for parking. A week or so later, the lady started to bring her friends to the bank and they all opened accounts so they could get free parking. Our branch manager was really happy as I was bringing in all these new accounts with lots of money. Even though I was required to wear a suit & tie, I was only making $3.55/hr. But in the end, working at the Bank of America paid off as the recommendation I got from our manager helped me get my first real career job after graduating UCLA at General Motors.

I still however occasionally have Kraft Macaroni & Cheese for dinner and have never owned a BMW or Mercedes Benz. I did have a 1981 Chevy Citation for years and when I got rid of it, one of my neighbors was really happy to see it go!

PostPosted: Feb Wed 21, 2018 1:10 am 

I was out to a tasting in Oregon with a small group this weekend, and the winery was quite busy--much busier than rural Oregon wineries tend to be. Then, we stopped at another winery to pick up a bottle. Again, this place was quite busy. I think that this weekend was an "overflow" crowd from Valentine's day, since February 14 fell in the middle of the week.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 21, 2018 2:46 am 

I was born and raised in CA, and thought I would never leave. Now, you couldn't give me property in most places in CA.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 21, 2018 3:02 am 

badwaxcaps wrote:
I just moved from but still work in Loudoun Co Virginia. Consistently ranked the #1 richest county in the US for the last several years with a median household income of over $120k a year.

Richest area in the country, the DC suburbs...all the money comes from Washington DC.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 21, 2018 3:26 am 

Bob Wilson 1977, remember that Clint Eastwood at the height of his career still drove his beat-up 20 year old pickup. He may be a movie actor playing tough guys but in many ways the real deal off the set. I loved SOCAL in the 60's when I was in the Navy, riding my first motorcycle to Borrego, Mount Palomar and Julian. Even made it to Anderson's Pea Soup Kitchen and Restaurant on that and subsequent motorcycles. I have an idea that you are the real deal, too and I share your distaste for yuppies or whatever the shallow climbers are called these days.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 21, 2018 4:00 am 

bobwilson1977 wrote:

But as someone who is generally not very social and dislikes large crowds its getting to a point where just going out somewhere is kind of stressful. That and the amount of money and people who clearly enjoy spending it is obnoxious. Like where did all of these people come from? Not EVERYONE can simply be loaded and leaking money out of their pockets. I am totally being a hypocrite BTW because I too like doing a lot of the things these folks do. The difference is that I'm the biggest cheap-skate ever and so while they might pull up in a shiny BMW or some other Euro-looking vehicle I'll pull up in my rattly old 23 year old truck and probably ruin the atmosphere for them.

Oh well... I'm totally being a crabby old man even though I'm 40...

It is easy to spend money that you don't have when you swipe plastic everywhere you go. I have a good friend at work who will trade in both his car and his wife's car every couple of years for something new. They live in a nicer part of town in a big house, take multiple week-long vacations a year, always have the latest phone/electronic item, and never buy anything used. They also eat out often. You would have the impression that he is rather well off financially. The truth is that he is over his head in debt and is almost to the point where he can no longer make his monthly payments. His wife defaulted on her student loans and the loan company is now garnishing her wages. His son was born around the same time as my daughter. He told me that he maxed out a $12,000 credit card buying things for his newborn son. We spent maybe $500 on my daughter, buying most of her cloths and many of her toys at yard sales or thrift stores.

Sadly my friend's situation is extremely common among those around my age, and I am 32.

Some people spend all of their money trying to convince others that they have money.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 21, 2018 4:54 am 

Jeremy S wrote:

Sadly my friend's situation is extremely common among those around my age, and I am 32.

Don't think that the brain cells not available for the prudent handling of money is limited to any particular generation. Once MasterCard developed in the '60's, the old method of cash and carry, or purchasing on lay-a-way -where ppl bought when the could actually afford to- became obsolete. Oh yeah, there were the installment contract situations, but that's about as far as credit went, and if you didn't pay, they repossessed the item.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 21, 2018 5:25 am 

Oil tycoon, H. L. Hunt of Dallas, once considered the richest man in the world, drove and old pickup truck downtown Dallas to his private parking spot everyday and carried his lunch in a paper sack..

PostPosted: Feb Wed 21, 2018 5:51 am 

The Hipsters are everywhere, even the Midwest is over run by them.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 21, 2018 6:00 am 

Bill Harris wrote:
Oil tycoon, H. L. Hunt of Dallas, once considered the richest man in the world, drove and old pickup truck downtown Dallas to his private parking spot everyday and carried his lunch in a paper sack..

Warren Buffett (CEO of Berkshire Hathaway with 37% ownership, stock price $304,904.00 per share) buys his daily breakfast at McDonalds.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 21, 2018 7:03 pm 

I was born and raised in CA too, and thought I would never leave. I now live in Oregon.

I used to wonder too how so many people can have so much money and do things all week long when everyone else is at work - but now, through an interesting set of circumstances, I find I am one of those people who drives a German car and no longer shuffles off every morning with the rest of the wage slaves so I can make just enough money to survive and do the same thing month after month, and I can tell you exactly why.

It's because the system is rigged. Yes, there are those who just survive on credit - though if you think about it, how is that even sustainable? It's not. Most of those people you see yupping it up are the beneficiaries of a system that outright exploits 98% of America to enrich the top 2%. California has it good because it is the center of some very successful companies, but most other states don't. The simple fact is that the wage gap in America has accelerated drastically since the 80's, and it's not getting any better.

People are told what to think. They are told what to think about the environment, about the government, about the 'virtues' of being poor and honest, etc etc etc, all the while they are being stolen blind, used and thrown away like old shoes. Certain politicians tell us they can solve all our problems, yet we listened to them when they said unions were bad and now workplace guarantees and pensions have gone the way of the Dodo. They told us unions just make things more expensive, but who can afford more now that they are gone? Actually, the fall of unions has exactly paralleled the fall of the middle class, but somehow people still believe politicians when they tell us a $hit sandwich is a feast. After all, it's on the evening news every night, so it must be true, right? We listen to the politicians still, the ones who tell us just what we want to hear, and then turn around and screw anyone they can.

There are people who benefit from that. Then there is everybody else who has no connections, does not have any significant savings, who does not have nor any use for a personal tax attorney, who does not or barely owns their own home (which could go underwater at any moment, just like their 401K), and don't even have healthcare - and they are told that's what they want, and they believe it!

There most certainly are two Americas. Which one you think is the 'real' America depends entirely on your social class. It's a sad truth the politicians have brought us, but not without the full cooperation of all of us. Hopefully this isn't too political for me to say, but having seen both sides of this issue, I just had to speak up. It has very deep and dark roots.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 21, 2018 9:09 pm 

Not quite on topic but following the thread....

My Grandad, even though he was only a gardener, lived a fairly frugal life just after WW2. He would give me a shilling whenever we visited him ( I was about 5yo ) and he would always say "Don't spend it all at once". My Dad always encouraged me to "put some away for later" when I got money for Christmas and birthdays and opened a savings bank account for me.

Grandad died in 1962 aged 94 and surprised my parents in his will - suddenly we were "well off". What happened? - well, nothing really. My Mum died a year later, Dad remarried, my new half brother and sister had their university education paid for, everybody moved out to the country and they are doing nicely thankyou. Dad passed away in 2004 and my half B & S have both got freehold properties, somewhat of a rarity in the UK these days when more and more people are renting or passing on their horrendous mortages to their children.

I still live by one of Dad's dictums - "If you can't afford to pay cash, you can't have it".

PostPosted: Feb Wed 21, 2018 9:19 pm 

I paid cash for my car.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 21, 2018 9:39 pm 

Things aren't always as they appear. Before the 2008 crash there were some neighbors who really had the good life, they had all the toys too, boats and jet skis and all kinds of things. I remember thinking "I'm just not doing it right" sometimes. Turns out they were selling re-fis in the real estate market, a scheme that works while there are still yet people out there who can fog a mirror, and, interest rates in general are going down.

Once the bottom fell out, they were outta their house so quick couldn't believe it. "They having a garage sale at five in the morning??" No, just the Sheriff helping them move out. Saw they got a divorce a few years later, etc.

There is definitely a branch of thought that YOLO, borrow to the hilt, take whatever you can, don't pay it back, declare bankruptcy, start over, rinse lather repeat. California must be a special case, because everything is so expensive, to the point of absurdity.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 51 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next