Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 25, 2018 4:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Need a good smartphone cheap?
PostPosted: Feb Fri 16, 2018 10:40 pm 

Apparently, AT&T had problems selling the green and red versions of the Samsung Galaxy X5 Active, as they are now carried by Walmart, unlocked, for just $232.52, delivered. Even though it is the rugged version, I'm hard on phones, carrying them in my tool belt, dropping them, and sitting with them in my back pocket. My gray S5 is warped and has started shutting off and restarting on its own. The new green one I bought came today. I'd originally though I'd put the gray back on it, but the Camo. design is subtle and looks just fine, nice enough to bring while wearing a business suit. Note that the battery in these models is replaceable, unlike most newer models, and you can add a memory card if needed.

Post subject: Re: Need a good smartphone cheap?
PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 12:12 am 
Site Admin

It's $125 in the Philippines. Also a four year old model.

I always wondered why people carried them in their back pocket. Figured they would sit on them and break them. Guess they do.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 2:37 am 

I bought this on sale for $25 shipped a while back,works great and only cost me about $8 a month to use.Of course I'm not a phone addict and seldom use it but it is pretty darn good for the money.Works at my ranch where my son's big$ phone would not.

https://www.amazon.com/Alcatel-OneTouch ... dpSrc=srch

Phil

PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 4:11 am 

Philco Fan wrote:
I bought this on sale for $25 shipped a while back,works great and only cost me about $8 a month to use.Of course I'm not a phone addict and seldom use it but it is pretty darn good for the money.Works at my ranch where my son's big$ would not.

https://www.amazon.com/Alcatel-OneTouch ... dpSrc=srch

Phil

Wow, I didn't know you could buy a phone like that for that price. I might have to upgrade from my basic flip Tracfone soon. The GPS alone would make it worth it to me.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 4:25 am 

Yep....
Phil

PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 4:30 am 

Philco Fan wrote:
Yep....
Phil

Thank you for the link.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 5:04 am 

I got a NOS Samsung galaxy note 4 edge for $220 for Christmas.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 3:28 pm 

I have a red S5 Active, love it, great camera too

PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 11:29 pm 

The cheapest smartphone I've found is the SIMPLE Mobile - ZTE Majesty Pro 4G LTE with 8GB Memory Prepaid, $19.95 at Best Buy. Obviously not the 'best' smartphone out there but it's surprisingly capable, although I have no idea about the 'call quality' since I got it to use as a 'hand held' computer with Skype Wi-Fi as a backup.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 11:44 pm 

even inexpensive phones today can be quite good, and a lot better than paying a thousand dollars for this yrs phone. crazy !!
I like the fact the S5 active is water proof to a point, enough for a spilled drink, toilet drop or puddle, can't do that with any iPhone.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 18, 2018 4:14 am 

Flipperhome wrote:
The cheapest smartphone I've found is the SIMPLE Mobile - ZTE Majesty Pro 4G LTE with 8GB Memory Prepaid, $19.95 at Best Buy. Obviously not the 'best' smartphone out there but it's surprisingly capable, although I have no idea about the 'call quality' since I got it to use as a 'hand held' computer with Skype Wi-Fi as a backup.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/14/u-s-i ... te-phones/

Same reason you don't want to buy an off-brand, Chinese made video camera. Some "phone home" to Chinese servers....

PostPosted: Feb Sun 18, 2018 4:59 am 

Findm-Keepm wrote:
Flipperhome wrote:

Same reason you don't want to buy an off-brand, Chinese made video camera. Some "phone home" to Chinese servers....
I've seen it but you'll note there's not a single 'thing' they can point a finger at. I can see being cautious if I were a high ranking government official or a business magnate but what are they going to 'spy' on with me? My lawn mowing and shopping at Best Buy?

Btw, I scanned the phone for the 'phone home' trojan and it was clean.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 18, 2018 2:05 pm 

Flipperhome wrote:
Findm-Keepm wrote:
Flipperhome wrote:

I've seen it but you'll note there's not a single 'thing' they can point a finger at. I can see being cautious if I were a high ranking government official or a business magnate but what are they going to 'spy' on with me? My lawn mowing and shopping at Best Buy?

"They", being the NSA/CIA and FBI? They have tools they use to certify "clean" and clear equipment - tools "WE" aren't aware of. Nor do they want us to be aware of them - saw way too much of that in the military. I can neither confirm nor deny...

Remember, they also warned us about other cell phones that the public picked up on AFTER they warned us - remember OnePlus?

https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/14/one ... on-phones/

Yep, Shenzen-based.....

Chinas exploits do little to the user - it's our cellular networks, internet backbones, and electrical grid they are ultimately after. I just choose to make it harder for them by heeding National Security warnings.

A scan of software tells little of what is hard-coded at the silicon level.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 19, 2018 3:34 am 

Findm-Keepm wrote:
Flipperhome wrote:

"They", being the NSA/CIA and FBI? They have tools they use to certify "clean" and clear equipment - tools "WE" aren't aware of. Nor do they want us to be aware of them - saw way too much of that in the military. I can neither confirm nor deny...

Remember, they also warned us about other cell phones that the public picked up on AFTER they warned us - remember OnePlus?

https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/14/one ... on-phones/

Yep, Shenzen-based.....

Chinas exploits do little to the user - it's our cellular networks, internet backbones, and electrical grid they are ultimately after. I just choose to make it harder for them by heeding National Security warnings.

A scan of software tells little of what is hard-coded at the silicon level.
If that were the case then the 'FBI', or any of the myriad agencies, should say so instead of just making vague, no information, 'warnings' (if you can call ""You need to look long and hard at companies like this" a 'warning', much less a "National Security" warning) about possible 'who knows what' about the phones, not to mention they should be banned if they're 'infrastructure bombs' just waiting to go off.

Until such time I'll treat 'security' the same on any phone and chalk the 'warning' up to cautious paranoia.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 19, 2018 4:19 am 

Besides the features other S5 active owners mentioned above, the sides of it are flat (90 degrees to the front and back), so it is not as "slippery" as phones with thin edges.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 19, 2018 4:47 am 

Flipperhome wrote:

If you want a real scare, install No-Root Firewall. You'll start seeing why so many apps are free. They phone home all the time. Dozens of them. No-root Firewall blocks apps from reaching out on the internet. There are so many occurrences that setting it up is only fascinating to a geek like me, but I don't go without it now. As a side effect, it blocks ads because they have to reach out to the internet for heaven knows where to get the ad content.

Last edited by Macrohenry on Feb Sun 25, 2018 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 19, 2018 9:18 pm 

I bought a Galaxy JR-3 a few months ago for $150.00 and it does almost everything the new $1000.00 I-Phone does.
A great phone for the money and I keep $850.00 in my pocket.

I know just enough to be dangerous.....
(Member - Michigan Antique Radio Club)

PostPosted: Feb Mon 19, 2018 9:39 pm 

Macrohenry wrote:
Flipperhome wrote:
Findm-Keepm wrote:

If you want a real scare, install No-Root Firewall. You'll start seeing why so many apps are free. They phone home all the time. Dozens of them. No-root Firewall blocks apps from reaching out on the internet. There are so many occurrences that setting it up is only fascinating to a geek like me, but I don't go without it now. As a side effect, it blocks ads because they have to reach out to the internet for heaven knows where to get the ad content.

Um, no I didn't.......you need to fix the quotes in your post.....

Attachment:
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg [ 29.4 KiB | Viewed 639 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

For $7 more than the Samsung you could get this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xqbxWKlOlMo

PostPosted: Feb Sun 25, 2018 12:06 am 

Have a Samsung Note 8 here, picture quality is better then my Fuji digital camera. Was more $$$ but it all depends what a individual desires from a smart phone.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 21 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next