Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 14, 2018 9:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Someone Is Trying to Scam Me
PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 3:32 pm 

is the girl a brunette... :)

Greg.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 3:43 pm 

as heads up, if you haven't figured it out. DO NOT understand any circumstances, cash that check. This is a scam. The check is more than likely fake, the bank will cash it, but you will be on the hook for the check, and it will be the police knocking on your door for wire fraud/money laundering.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 10:34 pm 

Artcurus wrote:
and it will be the police knocking on your door for wire fraud/money laundering.

Not true if duped.
Only true if it was done with intent to defraud.

Last edited by Pbpix on Mar Sun 04, 2018 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 10:36 pm 

Artcurus wrote:
as heads up, if you haven't figured it out. DO NOT understand any circumstances, cash that check. This is a scam. The check is more than likely fake, the bank will cash it, but you will be on the hook for the check, and it will be the police knocking on your door for wire fraud/money laundering.

After "The check is more than likely fake", I don't think the rest of what you posted holds true. The bank will simply require payback for any funds spent beyond the check amount -if it caused the account balance to drop below zero- AND require a "returned item" fee.

Where do you get that he'd be responsible for "wire fraud/money laundering"? Any fraud charge would be on the sender of the phony check.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 4:01 am 

Since I got old, I get scam telephone calls about 7-10 each week; one of those are trying to sell me burial insurance, you can hear the other telephone operators in the background working the lines.
I have spoke with other people who get the same telephone calls along with the lowering of your credit card interest rates.
Some try to sell me a big vacation trip from Bahama cruise lines among others. We are on the no call list but that doesn`t work very well and not at all much today. Some route telephone numbers around to make it look like a local number or a number in your State.
So I guess the scammers have to pay for a telephone line somewhere, so I guess the telephone company makes money from scammers.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 5:11 am 

fifties wrote:
Artcurus wrote:

After "The check is more than likely fake", I don't think the rest of what you posted holds true. The bank will simply require payback for any funds spent beyond the check amount -if it caused the account balance to drop below zero- AND require a "returned item" fee.

Where do you get that he'd be responsible for "wire fraud/money laundering"? Any fraud charge would be on the sender of the phony check.

Not according to what my bank said (Chase). I nearly got caught in one of these scams, but something didn't smell right. Our postmaster also said it counted as money laundering/ wire fraud.

This had happened to me twice dealing with Craigslist. The check I received was 1000s over what I asked for, while the routing number, everything would have checked out, the end result was that check was still fraudulent. The last one I received was even a photocopy. He wasn't even trying.

What usually happens is that the buyer asks you to cash the check, then you keep whatever you asked for with the item, and wire the rest to some nebulous person.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 6:38 am 

Rodney wrote:
Since I got old, I get scam telephone calls about 7-10 each week.

I probably get that many in two days, but...My ringers are all off, and the answering machine is on. If it's a legit call, they'll leave a message. The only scam message left was the phony "this is the IRS calling..." :roll:

Artcurus wrote:
fifties wrote:
Artcurus wrote:

Not according to what my bank said (Chase). I nearly got caught in one of these scams, but something didn't smell right. Our postmaster also said it counted as money laundering/ wire fraud.

This had happened to me twice dealing with Craigslist. The check I received was 1000s over what I asked for, while the routing number, everything would have checked out, the end result was that check was still fraudulent. The last one I received was even a photocopy. He wasn't even trying.

What usually happens is that the buyer asks you to cash the check, then you keep whatever you asked for with the item, and wire the rest to some nebulous person.

I can't see how the recipient of a payment for a legal item could possibly be indicted for money laundering or fraud, but whatever.

The fact that a "buyer" sends a payment of even one penny over the agreed on amount is a red flag.

Further, asking that the "overage" be "wired" produces a whole buncha red flags. How is it that they can send you a check, but you have to send the overage back by wire?

Next time someone pulls that, simply tell them to come over and buy their check back for the agreed on sale amount, with cash, and then they can take their purchase with them (along with their phony check).

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 8:11 am 

I have heard that some people have gotten duped with funny money, so you also have to watch out for that. A postal money order or bank check could also be stolen, etc., so they aren't necessarily guaranteed funds. It is best to do the transaction at a police station if at all possible.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 3:56 pm 

Artcurus wrote:
fifties wrote:
Artcurus wrote:

I can't see how the recipient of a payment for a legal item could possibly be indicted for money laundering or fraud, but whatever.

The fact that a "buyer" sends a payment of even one penny over the agreed on amount is a red flag.

Further, asking that the "overage" be "wired" produces a whole buncha red flags. How is it that they can send you a check, but you have to send the overage back by wire?

Next time someone pulls that, simply tell them to come over and buy their check back for the agreed on sale amount, with cash, and then they can take their purchase with them (along with their phony check).[/quote]

Exactly

See it's the "overage" or the amount over what you are asking for the item that creates the problem. Basically the check is a fraud, and it's creating money from essentially nothing. The bank will cash fraud checks. In this case, it would have put me on the hook for the bad check.

The second time this happened to me, I was trying to sell an item on Craigslist the idiot sent me a bad photocopy of a check. I just laughed at it and told him exactly what he could with that check.

Here's how the scam works.

1. The buyer contacts you, saying that he wants to buy the item, and ask that you pull the item off craigslist. (very important)
2. The buyer then sends the seller a fraudulent check. He will also say that he'll send someone by to pick up the item. (they are not local, that's also important)
3. The buyer will be very attentive, asking at least twice a day if the check has arrived. (this is important because once the check arrives, it must be cashed immediately. It takes 14 days for the bank to catch the bad check.
4. The seller cashes the bad check.
5. The buyer then ask that the overage (usually 1000s) is wired to someone else as "payment" for his courier/shipping to come pick up the item.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 12:45 am 

Artcurus wrote:
How is it that they can send you a check, but you have to send the overage back by wire?

No.
I was wrong about that part... they tell you send them a check back for the overage. Then they cash your check before their fake cashiers check bounces.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 12:51 am 

Pbpix wrote:
Artcurus wrote:
How is it that they can send you a check, but you have to send the overage back by wire?

No.
I was wrong about that part... they tell you send them a check back for the overage. Then they cash your check before their fake cashiers check bounces.

That quote was actually mine. In the Nigerian scams, they would have the mark send the "overage" by WU, as it was non-traceable and non refundable.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 1:17 am 

fifties wrote:
Pbpix wrote:
Artcurus wrote:

No.

That quote was actually mine. In the Nigerian scams, they would have the mark send the "overage" by WU, as it was non-traceable and non refundable.

^this man gets it. That's exactly what happpens.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 3:33 am 

You could always tell them that you will send it PayPal goods and services, but why even bother?

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 4:53 am 

Key idea here: deal in cash only, in person. I say pay with cash when you pick up the ________. I get scam texts several times a day about my alleged abuse of craigslist, someone's uncle wanting to buy my electronics, how much do I want for my antique, blah blah blah. I can't wait until I get the scam call about missing jury duty and needing to send cash to quash the warrant for my arrest.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 9:01 pm 

The excess value check is one of the oldest scams; often, the buyer/scammer wants the funds sent via Western Union so that they cannot be tracked.

Regarding the legal question: If you deposit a fraudulent check, it's extremely unlikely that you would get jailed for "money laundering". There are 3 things that could happen:

1.) You deposit the check and do nothing with the money until the bank comes calling. They deduct the funds from your account, and potentially hit you with a returned check fee. Of course, if you shipped the item to the buyer, you're out the item, as the buyer/scammer will be nowhere to be found.

2.) You deposit the check, and then withdraw the "funds" to either send them to the buyer, or go off on a vacation to Australia. Either way, the bank will demand the money back, and you'll be liable for it.

3.) You deposit the check knowing that it's fraudulent, and then withdraw the funds and close the account and go on vacation with the buyer. That will get you in hot water; have fun in prison.

So, while it's highly unlikely you would get in trouble for depositing the check, it's best not to deposit check that you know or highly suspect are fraudulent. There is no upside. And if you do it repeatedly, the feds will get suspicious.

There's never a reason to take a check or money order for a value larger than the amount; it's the buyers responsibility to provide you with good funds. If you or the buyer prefer not to deal in cash (or Paypal or credit card), a postal money order is safest alternative. Legitimate USPS money orders have security features that will allow the bank to soon determine if they are legit or not. If you deposit one, talk to your bank regarding how long it will take them to validate the funds; once they are deemed good, you can release the item to the buyer. The USPS also has a number you can call if you want to check whether a money order is valid, and another number you can call if you receive a fake money order. BTW, the USPS treats forged money orders very seriously, and the feds will go after the forger; it's not considered a "slap on the wrist" kind of crime either.

The one downside is that money orders are limited to $1000 each. If you're dealing with really large private party purchases (say $20K or more), it's not the worst idea to consider the use of an escrow agent.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 9:47 pm 

^ Well stated!

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 36 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2