Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 17, 2018 2:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: HF Hotdog or Pancake Air Compressors
PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 7:53 pm 

I'd like to have a small air compressor to keep my tires inflated and for cleaning. I have a coupon for these at $39.95. Does anyone have one of these and would they be happy in an uninsulated garage that gets mighty hot?

Thanks,

RRM

Post subject: Re: HF Hotdog or Pancake Air Compressors
PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 8:13 pm 

Check Craig's List; lots of contractors selling stuff. I'd take a used name brand one over a cheap Chinese one.

The HF one will work but be loud and probably walk across the floor from vibration. As long as you don't run something big like a grinder so it runs continuously, it should work.

I have a Craftsman, belt drive compressor off CL that has to be 30 years old. Still works. I upgraded it with a 60-gal tank off a new one that died in a year (oiless junk.)

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 8:15 pm 

At that price level, don't expect much. I think if you only plug it in a few times every year, it should be fine for limited use. Having seen them in person at the store, I wouldn't want to run one for hours at a time. Even the big name brands aren't what they used to be, and oil free compressors as a whole are pure garbage.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 8:22 pm 

I would strongly advise against any of the 3 gallon units. They can be frustrating. Get at least a 8 gallon unit. This is based on experience, not supposition. :)

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 9:13 pm 

All I'd ever use it for is to top off my tires every month or so and occasionally blow the dust out of something. I don't have any air tools. What I don't want is for the thing to crap out a after a few months.

I'm presently using one of those little guys that plug into the cigarette lighter socket. If I'm in any kind of a hurry I help it by rolling over my floor jack and taking some weight off the tire.

RRM

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 9:56 pm 

I have a 3 gallon one and I think it would take 3 or 4 10 minute depletion/fill cycles to fill a car tire. Little and slow.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 11:10 pm 

I don't think your going to get much for $40. I got a 6 Gallon one at HD or Loews that came with a nail gun and an accessory bag. It works great for me. I use it mostly for tires and blowing the junk out of radio's. It has a handle to carry, but bangs against your leg. Nail gun is a nice plus. On the box, it said Not Large Enough For Spray Guns. That kinda impressed me.

Freeman.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 11:42 pm 

I saw an ad for those pancake compressors at that price a couple of years ago. I went to look at them. They had piles of them. All were customer returns with no warranty. Find out what they are before you buy.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 27, 2018 7:29 pm 

If you have room in a garage for it, you might be better off trying to find a larger compressor, like a 3 to 5 hp compressor (still just a toy, but will do some work) used in good condition. Those tiny little things that are measured by the size of the tank, which means only that it can hold so much air at full pressure, are pretty much worthless.

For filling car tires, if that's all you want to do, you might head on over to your favorite Walmart and head into the auto section. They sell really small compressors that plug into a cigarette lighter and will fill tires. Since you're probably not starting from a flat tire, it should take only a few minutes and the tire will be up to pressure. They are NOT expensive and you can keep it in the trunk of your car.

That's what I'd do. AAMOF, That is what I have done, except I gave it away to someone who needed more than I did so I don't have it anymore. I'll get another some day.
But for compressed air for operating machinery, I have the equivalent of a 10 hp compressor on a 20 gallon tank. Still a bit under sized, but that gets the job done.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 27, 2018 7:45 pm 

those HF cheap ones are ok for occasional use, they take a long and noisy time to get up to PSI
and it doesn't last long on a tire. I use one for air brad nailer, works fine, but if I needed it more, I'd
certainly buy a better one. $100 buys a better one. I'm on my 2nd HF $50 one, in 15 yrs, so not too bad either.
And I have a large 30 gal, 6hp 175psi in the garage for tires and real air tools, impacts, 3/8 ratchet, 1/4" ratchet, etc.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 27, 2018 8:14 pm 

I used to sell power tools and compressors for a living. Generally speaking a lot of the cheapy-cheap compressors use a diaphragm and are prone to premature failure. There are also cheaply made piston-driven models that use some kind of teflon-lined cylinder and zero lubricant. Those tend to burn out.

While they are a tad bigger, getting a piston driven unit that uses an actual sump type oil lubrication system will tend to by far not only last longer but run smoother and quieter. Emglo makes some excellent stuff. Sure- its pricey but they will last forever.

https://www.tylertool.com/emglo-e810-4v ... gIoMPD_BwE

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 1:11 am 

I have a pancake one as backup and use in my shed that gets hot, 100F + in summer. It fits the bill for topping off tires or running stapler or blow gun for short time. Been using it for about 5 years and had a problem with a bearing on the crank failing. Was about to scrap it, maybe save the tank and pressure gage that work fine for such a cheap unit. Anyway looked up the bearing part number and same as used on a skateboard, less than $5 with shipping, easy fix. Circuit board drives a DC motor and will power up and run off a 400W inverter, great for camping or emergency road fix. Makes plenty or noise, not much compressed air but gets the job done, my 2 cents,
Mike

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 1:20 am 

I bought a Campbell Hausfeld WL5000 oil free pancake about 20 yrs ago for use with a nailing gun and air dusting. It works great still going strong after all these years. I bought one of the $40 HF jobs to use at another location where I have my storage mainly for a dust blower and occasionally to top off a tire. Takes a long time to fill the small tank and very noisy but it does work. One good thing it does hold the pressure for a long time between uses. I have an old Sears 5 hp 220v belt driven job for my bead blaster and spraying, etc. They made em good back then.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 5:16 am 

When I was looking for an air bubble I ended up with a HF pancake compressor. Doesn’t weigh a lot more than a bubble, cost about the same and is “self filling.” Use it mostly in the basement shop with a blow gun. It is noisy. If you forget to turn it off you will remember when it wakes you up around 2am.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 5:24 am 

What is an "air bubble"

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 6:48 am 

It’s a portable air tank.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 4:06 pm 

What Bob Wilson said above! What I'm saying too. Once you have something that compresses air you will probably wind up finding all sorts of uses for it as time goes on. Might as well get something that will last a while. Saves money in the long run.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 5:29 pm 

I have one of those little HF compressors.....it's almost useless...takes forever to do anything.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 02, 2018 1:20 am 

here's a 6 gallon, 150psi Porter Cable, Brand New, free shipping, $86
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PORTER-CAB ... SwQwZaePRU

Same specs, Bostitch, $83 w/free shipping, why buy a cheapo chino junko ?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bostitch-6-Gal ... ggLOfP405A

PostPosted: Mar Fri 02, 2018 7:10 am 

I purchased a Bostitch 6 gallon pancake compressor with a 18 gauge nailer about 5 years ago. Nice compressor but it was a little large to carry around. A few years ago I volunteered at a playhouse and tore down and built a new set every 7 weeks. I went to Harbor Freight and bought that 3 Gallon air compressor and used it heavily building the set for the playhouse. It works flawlessly and still does and it has a lot of hours on it. And no, it doesn't vibrate and move around, it stays where you put it.

I have no complaints with that compressor.

Sal

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 31 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next