Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Wed 19, 2018 6:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: HF Hotdog or Pancake Air Compressors
PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 3:40 pm 

The biggest worry about the cheapo compressors is where they saved money. Is the inside of the tank treated for corrosion?

I know of a contractor who had a fairly simple job to do in a house's second story. Used a pancake. And he lost a lot of money on the job as the tank blew and sent the motor through the building's roof. So he repaired the room ceiling, replaced insulation in the attic, repaired the roof......

Even draining the tank for moisture apparently didn't help him a lot. It was 3 years old at the time.
John S.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 3:55 pm 

That's not a good thing to have happen. Exploding pressure tanks have killed and maimed many people.
States have inspectors who go around and check air compressors that they know are in service. If they find a dangerous tank, the compressor is taken out of service. However, all these little balloon inflators aren't on the radar. This means that you're on your own when using a compressor that has a tank that could very well not meet even the most basic safety standards.

Those little tire inflators I mentioned up the list don't have tanks. They aren't dangerous at all, but they will inflate tires just fine. Carry it in your trunk, it runs off the cigarette lighter socket.
Mark D.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 8:34 pm 

Mark D wrote:
Those little tire inflators I mentioned up the list don't have tanks. They aren't dangerous at all, but they will inflate tires just fine. Carry it in your trunk, it runs off the cigarette lighter socket. Mark D.

Please go back and read my second post.

I've seen the little HF compressors and have always thought they were junk (same opinion of most HF stuff) but I buy some HF stuff because there is acceptably useful junk and completely worthless junk. The reason for my original post was to see how many of us actually had one of these little guys and to see which junk category it fell into.

RRM

PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 11:54 pm 

I use a cheapo Husky Air Scout - been using it for about 5 years. It is only 1.5 gallons and 135 pounds max. It has a nice pressure gauge, a safety valve, and you can set the maximum pressure. I use it to top off tires and with a blow gun to blow the dust off of radio chassis! It has wheels and a tool compartment. It has a drain for the tank, which I use after every use. I do not know if the tank is coated. Made in China, of course.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 9:46 pm 

Retired Radio Man wrote:
Mark D wrote:
Those little tire inflators I mentioned up the list don't have tanks. They aren't dangerous at all, but they will inflate tires just fine. Carry it in your trunk, it runs off the cigarette lighter socket. Mark D.

Please go back and read my second post.

I've seen the little HF compressors and have always thought they were junk (same opinion of most HF stuff) but I buy some HF stuff because there is acceptably useful junk and completely worthless junk. The reason for my original post was to see how many of us actually had one of these little guys and to see which junk category it fell into.

RRM

I had already read your other post before I brought it up on my last post. Basically just trying to bring things back to something that might work well for just filling tires. It goes in the trunk, runs off the car battery, is there when you have a flat and the spare is flat due to neglect.
I've used a number of them over time and haven't had much of a problem. I don't think I have ever bought the cheapest available though. I tend to believe that the one with a larger displacement and larger motor would be what I would want. Costs more, does more. Still only for occasional use though.

But to your point, I have never, ever, purchased anything from Harbor Freight. The reason for this is because I know too many people who have purchased too many piles of (crap) that just would not and could not do what it was supposed to do. As I've posted before... Down at the locomotive shop our fearless leader likes to buy tools from Harbor Freight. Combination wrenches are mostly broken or the box end has been sheared round and on some the open end is spread out to fit several sizes of bolt head. They have painted on them, "Snap-Off Tools".
He bought an air powered pop rivet gun. It worked for about an hour, then it stopped working.
I would NOT buy a little portable air compressor from Harbor Freight. Walmart sells some halfway decent air pumps for tires and such. Can probably find one at a NAPA store. Some hardware stores might have some. Any of them are most likely to be FAR better than Harbor Freight. I haven't used one of their compressors, but from what else I've seen come out of that place, I wouldn't put much trust into anything else they try to stick people with.

Somebody always comes out of the woodwork with a wonderful blue sky story about how their Harbor Freight framis, whatever it is, (or was) works (or worked) so well for 50 years non stop and never even oiled it and it helped someone win a NASCAR race and the Lockheed Skunk Works uses them to build rockets.
Bah.
Mark D.

Mark D.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 2:14 am 

One more time. I have one of the little guys. I keep it in my trunk. I have carried one for at least 20 years, could be 30. The one I have now is at least 10-15 years old. It didn't come from HF.

Some people have good luck with HF, some don't.

RRM

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 5:42 am 

I guess that after all the replies with differing ideas I totally lost track of the original topic. Ok, so just don't buy one of those diaphragm compressors. They are noisy, don't do much, don't last very long. Find a small compressor with a proper tank and a separate motor and pump and keep it in your garage. If you have 220 volt power in the garage, that is better for the motor if it is wired for 120/240. Otherwise, just run it on the 120. I don't know how much power you have available, but it will probably need at least a 20 amp circuit to start and run with.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 5:54 am 

HF has some larger oil types. Would they be ok?

RRM

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 6:54 am 

I have only seen diaphragm pumps on airbrush compressors (40 PSI max).

My take on cheap compressors, stay away from anything under 120PSI. Says, built for minimum cost. Tank size is not an issue unless you want to use it un powered. My dad has a 20gallon on wheels. Fill it up then roll out to fill tires. CFM is the one rating that matters. After tha tank runs low, it is the CFM of the pump that matters. Horsepower is a lie on 120V compressors. 15A/120V is about 2.5HP at 100% efficiency. Basically anything that states over 2HP actually runs it less.

Belt drive is best as it is quieter and each part stays cool. All-in-one just cooks.

I think I said before, a used one off Craigs list is better then most made today. I recently picked up a 3 gallon/150PSI Husky for $80. Loud but works. It also came with a brad nailer, air gun and two impact wrenches.

In 1990 I bought an Ingersoll Rand 20 gallon 5CFM compressor. Was the first one I saw for under $300. My dad still uses it. Since then all these Chinesium junk has come out.

My main compressor is 60-gallon, 5HP, 11CFM 240V. The pump and motor are of a Craftsman probably made in the late '80s. I can still buy rebuild kits for the pump. I need to as the gaskets are starting to leak. The tank is from a new Chinesium Craftsman that grenaded itself after a year. I pieced it together for about $200.

$100 or less will get you a name brand, older compressor off Craigs list that will out perform and out last a new cheapie. Usually they may need a few fittings replaced or a new regulator. That is cheap.