Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Tue 19, 2018 3:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Great Bower & Wilkins factory tour
PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 5:46 am 

Hello guys,
Check out this Bowers & Wilkins' flagship speaker factory tour video
One my favorite speakers .

Sincerely Richardhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3MML6EmKoY

Post subject: Re: Great Bower & Wilkins facorty tour
PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 6:25 am 

radiorich wrote:
Hello guys,
Check out this Bowers & Wilkins' flagship speaker factory tour video
One my favorite speakers .

Sincerely Richardhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3MML6EmKoY

Very interesting. Another point is that while this focuses on the enclosure, B&W used to be one of the few if not the only speaker manufacturer who *didn't* build the cabinets. They designed the speaker and build the drivers and crossovers, but farmed out the enclosure. Only when the benefit of ultra-rigid and heavily damped enclosures became obvious in the mid-80's did they start first reinforcing the box-like enclosures they got from others. When it became obvious that you needed the odd shapes to manage reflections, they started making them themselves. This was all after one of their dealers, from Minnesota, demonstrated the astonishing improvements that this could make by lining the interior of B&Ws and many other speakers with modeling clay.

They started the "matrix" plywood insert system for the otherwise rectangular or "home plate" shaped enclosures, trying to stiffen the flat sides so they wouldn't "breath" like a drum head, but the current curved/laminated shapes are much less prone to this. They were the first company to actually look for this effect and measure it with laser interferometry.

I currently have about 10 year old 803s playing right now, and they are far and away the most neutral and uncolored speaker I have ever had.

Brett

PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 6:35 am 

Hello Bret,
yes they are wonderful speakers I am looking forward to picking couple nice ones to run off of my B&K Receiver
sincerely Richard

PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 7:48 am 

radiorich wrote:
Hello Bret,
yes they are wonderful speakers I am looking forward to picking couple nice ones to run off of my B&K Receiver
sincerely Richard

Even the low-end models are pretty good for the price. I would suggest DM-601 Series 3, usually you can get them for $200-ish a pair if you are patient, or even cheaper, DM-110i (not the original DM-110) for $120 to 200.

Of course, like anything else, you can spend almost arbitrary amounts of money on speakers. With the current "nautilis" range, I think there is little point to anything more than the 803D unless you have an extremely large room. At least with B&W, an argument can be made that it is "worth it" on some level. You can certainly spend much more than the $16000/pair they ask for the 800D and not get anything worth having.

Brett

Post subject: Re: Great Bower & Wilkins factory tour
PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 6:46 pm 

Hello Brett,
I looking at getting a pair of B&W "Nautilis" like 805

I have a really nice set klipsch hooked up to this receiver now but see this unit is 150watts per channel RMS and my Klipsch are way under rated

Post subject: Re: Great Bower & Wilkins factory tour
PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 8:44 pm 

radiorich wrote:
Hello Brett,
I looking at getting a pair of B&W "Nautilis" like 805

I have a really nice set klipsch hooked up to this receiver now but see this unit is 150watts per channel RMS and my Klipsch are way under rated

That should be a very substantial upgrade, since the Klipsh heritage series is intended more foe efficiency while accepting substantial coloration. The rating is not a big problem if you can keep your hand pff the volume knob. You should be getting a very satisfactory listening level at around 1/2watt RMS. 150 watts is plenty sufficient power for reasonable dynamics on the moderately efficient B&W.

For the 805, I would look seriously at bass enhancement with a subwoofer, because they are not really intended as a full-range speaker, particularly in anything more than a very small room. Just my opinion and no offense or argument intended, but the 805 seems to have about the least value for the money of any of the range. Compare to the DM-602, which you can sometimes get for $200 a pair, against the sometimes $1500-2000 for a pair of 805s, or $4000 for the 805+HTM center channel speaker. That's swell start for a 5.1 system but you still need a subwoofer. I paid $3800 for my pair of 803Ds, which are full-range speakers (as my neighbors will attest).

Brett