Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Sat 23, 2018 3:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pay-Pal Reject Question
PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 9:45 pm 

I tried to but using Pay-Pal a $18 item from EBAY "buy-it-now and it was rejected.
I have over $50 in the account so that should be no problem.
The seller is in the US, I got an automated call today from the credit union just minutes after I tried to buy this item 3 times because it failed to go through.
Being Saturday of course the credit union was closed, I called the automated number
they gave me on the voice mail and talked to someone from the credit union, he asked if I was the person who tried to make these three purchases, I said I "tried" three times because it got rejected.
He told me we just wanted to know it was YOU who was using the account.
I asked if I will have the same problem again, he said maybe you will, call the bank on Monday.
Nice, it is not a big deal about the item, it is about feedback for me as a BUYER.
I have a great record of paying right on time.
Question: Will I get a bad mark as a BUYER because of this?
Monday is a long time to wait.

Post subject: Re: Pay-Pal Reject Question
PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 10:10 pm 

Bill, the secret to a good transaction on eBay is communication. Contact the seller immediately, tell them what is going on. However, buyer feedback is not a big deal as it was "Back In The Day". I suspect the seller will understand.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 10:43 pm 

Thanks Don, I will do that.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 11:07 pm 

I might be wrong because I make it my business to avoid eBay however it is my understanding that it is no longer possible to receive neutral or negative feedback as a BUYER.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 11:19 pm 

Is this a bank account or credit card?
By $50 in the account, I assume you don't mean Paypal balance.

I have a small merchant account that I have a debit card with. They will deny things they assume suspicious, one of them is PayPal. It seems to be random: Digikey will work several times in a row and then get denied.

The other thing I have had is authorizations and payments don't get correlated. I have seen a merchant do an authorize for $1, then an authorize for the full amount and then a transaction for the full amount that my bank sees as 3 separate items.. The thing is, these authorizations, reduce your balance until they see a payment that matches or until they expire (usually 24 hours.)

PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 1:42 am 

QUOTE"Is this a bank account or credit card?
By $50 in the account, I assume you don't mean Paypal balance."

I have a checking account card with my credit union, it is ONLY used for Pay-Pal nothing else, in it I have a balance of $50 and I have been using it now for 5 months now.
Never had any problem except today.
Now the only thing that I know of that maybe caused this is back on Dec 26, 2017 I ordered something from EBAY, the seller was in China, the item never came so on March 2 of this year I had EBAY step in and they refunded my money, EBAY said the seller never responded and had no tracking information.
Pay-Pal credited my account for the full price of that item, so my guess is maybe that crook was trying to get his money back from me and the credit union locked my account.
BTW, that crook is no longer a registered EBAY seller.
Before March 2nd. I had no problem using my Pay-Pal and have bought many things in that 5 month time.
I will find out Monday when I call the credit union.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 2:04 am 
Site Admin

PayPal uses funds in your PayPal account first. If there are insufficient funds, they'll transfer it from your backup funding source. If there are still insufficient funds, the PayPal transaction will fail.

If your Credit Union isn't authorizing the release of the funds, PayPal won't have access to the money, so insufficient funds and the transaction won't be completed.

The fault here is entirely with the Credit Union for not releasing the funds which you directed it to. Although it may have been for their perceived security reasons, it is still their fault. PayPal attempted to transfer the funds, but was denied.

Three possible corrections:

1) You get them to follow through in the future
2) You use a different backup source for bank funds
3) You transfer the $50 you keep for purchases to PayPal to hold so the money is available without question.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 2:37 am 

QUOTE from Alan: " You transfer the $50 you keep for purchases to PayPal to hold so the money is available without question."

I could be mistaken but if I did that anyone can get at the funds like maybe that bad seller.
It could get cleaned out and I would not have any control over it.
I know it is only $50 but still I could not depend on using it if that is the case.
Maybe i am wrong?

PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 3:02 am 

I have never had someone be able to get money out of my Paypal account without my approval. Have used paypal for 20 years.

AFAIK, all sellers on ebay can do is send an invoice for approval.