Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Wed 19, 2018 1:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Anyone have access to genuine Ford dealer parts catalogs
PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 4:40 pm 

Maybe some people can get by without the power steering, but not me on those heavy vehicles. I'm unable to turn the steering wheel at all with the belt off, even when the car is moving. Been there, tried that. Someone younger and stronger might do it but it's impossible for me.

On older cars it wasn't nearly as much of an issue if the power steering wasn't working, I remember driving a '57 Ford across the state minus the PS belt (which was separate) and you wouldn't have even noticed any difference from a car with manual steering.

The belt tensioner and idler on the 2001 are fine, not noisy (used a stethoscope) and the tensioner moves freely. Interesting that the tensioner on the 2004 has probably been broken for many years, as someone put a large flat washer across the face of it to hold it in position since there is no spring tension even when that's loosened. But it works just fine if you set the tensioner pulley where you want it and tighten the bolt. I never even noticed that until borrowing the belt from it the other day.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 7:06 pm 

After hearing that, you DEFINITELY need to replace the tensioner!

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 8:20 pm 

If you buy parts at NAPA, and probably other auto parts stores, at least NAPA carries a variety of qualities which you can determine by price.
If you don't want a nasty surprise about three months after replacing the accessory drive belt AND tensioner AND idler if there is one, do yourself a favor and buy the high grade unit. The other stuff is for cheapskates who often plan to just sell the car anyway.
Do it right and use the good parts. Your life might have to depend on it.

Mark D.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 23 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2