Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sat 22, 2018 8:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: and still... they came
PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 9:44 pm 

Flippy the burger flipping robot is now cooking at CaliBurger.

And in other news... sales of Camping Equipment & Tents
are set to increase...

Greg.

Post subject: Re: and still... they came
PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 9:51 pm 

*looks around for SkyNet*

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 9:56 pm 

It's the answer to raising the minimum wage.

Dave

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 10:00 pm 

easyrider8 wrote:
It's the answer to raising the minimum wage.

Dave
Exactly. Thor paid the higher wage get more, bit those who are fired or not hired have a wage of zero....

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 10:06 pm 

irishbull wrote: *looks around for SkyNet*

:) viewtopic.php?p=2468444#p2468444

Greg.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 1:05 am 

local Golden Arches around here are starting to put in the self serve kiosks to see how they work out. We are not yet at the $15.00 min wage, but with our new Governor it's not to far off.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 1:08 am 

it must have a magic feed system for the burgers and cheese, I don't see them, it can't swing 180 to get anything to the
right as the chrome post blocks that.
Is this 'concept' or providing (selling) actual production?

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 1:21 am 

https://caliburger.com/pasadena

it ain't no little old Lady...
Greg.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 2:25 am 

SpongeBob just freaked out.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 2:42 am 

so, they will have to hire maintenance personnel to keep it in operation/clean it.

Bet they get paid more than minimum wage.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 3:22 am 

Hello Guys,
yes I help tech two classes of Lego EV3 robotics and We have been addressing the future for minimum wage jobs how they are going away .
We been trying teach the kids how robots are here to stay
Sincerely Rich

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 3:29 am 

Who woulda thunk that those types of jobs would be replaced by a button? :lol:

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 4:46 am 

When an employee thinks he's worth too much, he gets replaced with someone willing to accept the lower wage. Simple business.

The robot will never complain and probably will be cleaned/maintained by an entry level employee.

The exact opposite happened in the late `30s. The WPA. The Govt put people to work and didn't use machinery if manpower could do the job.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 6:27 am 

It comes down to greed.

I can somewhat understand replacing workers in states with $15 minimum wages. The problem I have is McDonald’s for example have completely went to order screens in all of my local restaurants, yet minimum wage is $7.75 here.

What jobs do they expect young people to start with? The college debt bubble is going to collapse and then a lot of people are going to be screwed.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 6:54 am 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
Joseph Newton wrote:
The college debt bubble is going to collapse and then a lot of people are going to be screwed.
Eventually we will be forced to go the way of the rest of the civilized world - free college up to masters level, guaranteed job placement after college (or industry prep program for those who are ``not college material) and after a few years guaranteed tenure thereat like we used to have here in the mid 20th Century (at least we used to have the last two).
azenithnut wrote:
They will have to hire maintenance personnel to keep it in operation/clean it. Bet they get paid more than minimum wage.
Cleaner-bots and mainteance-bots both of which have their own cleaner-bots and maintenance bots and etc. To have a human come in to one of these types of scenarios is becoming more and more rare - eliminating or reducing the number of man-hours having to be spent on these tasks.
Joseph Newton wrote:
McDonald’s for example have completely went to order screens in all of my local restaurants, yet minimum wage is $7.75 here.
because A) the robots in question are designed and mfgd anymore to withstand tens if not hundreds of the types of abuse normal machines would encounter so costs are minimal and

B) because Americans are spoiled and there's not enough people from enough developing countries anymore who will do the jobs and accept the pay and working conditions just like we are talking about on the California thread. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=336663&start=100

Meaning - since nobody anymore is willing to do the work for the pay offered and accept the working conditions thereat - the choices are limited. It's either that or have your phone-order staff at your drive thru located in India who take your order and transmit it over the Internet back to the fast food location you are sitting at.

The internet was down at one a couple weeks ago it was on the news - and originally somebody was just sitting there with their only job to be repeating the same announcement about your order cannot be placed over this system at this time please retry later or come inside.

Whoever it was apparently whined to their union that this wasn't their job - so they took the store's old cassette-based answering machine with a 30 second endless loop tape in it - recorded the same announcement - hung a microphone over the speaker - pushed `Repeat' closed their window (and the associated cubby inside) and went about their business until the Internet repair people could be summoned.

Now in my day we'd be forced to handle everything manually or lose our jobs - but like I said - everybody is spoiled anymore.

Look at digital cinema vs film projectors.

Projectionists made journeymans' wages ($30-40 an hr - more if they cd do their own maint) as late as the early 2Ks on machines that had to have daily weekly monthly and quarterly mainteance by guys who were getting paid twice what the operators were.

Enter digital cinema. Everything is automatic - the machines are so stalwart that 9 times out of 10 they don't need maint at all except maybe quarterly or semi-annually. No more $40 or $80 an hour guy having to come in everyday - its either on a timer or mgt - or anymore - the candy people - pushes the start button from behind the counter and life goes on.

Which is another reason for 28 houses in a multiplex - if one goes down they just ``move'' (digitally transfer the print) to another theatre and put that one out of service until maint can be summoned.

In my day you pretty much had to burn out both the film booth as well as the theatre to get closed down - but this is the way the modern world works - and the fast food/min wage business don't seem much different to me.

Satellite radio programming vs local DJ's on-air talent - or if they don't have that they have AAC files on a hard drive and accessed through a 500-button consolette instead of 45s and cart machines. No distribution costs little if any maintenance costs and no programming people to pay.

Care-bots and companion-bots for seniors and disableds are replacing human caregivers at what some describe as an alarming rate - and pretty much for the same reason. Same for hospitality-bots (deliver ice or towels clean a hotel room etc). and pretty much every other menial task everybody is too spoiled to do anymore.

Which is pretty much the main reason why like I said
radiorich wrote:
we been trying to teach these kids how robots are here to stay
whether they like it or not so they might as well get used to it.

Last edited by ndiamone on Mar Tue 06, 2018 7:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 7:24 am 

Spoiled? We went from baby boomers being able to own a home and raise a family on not much more than minimum wage to the generation now that will never own a home even with a college degree. Birth and marriage rates are at an all time low, who can afford a family?

Wanting to feed your family and keep a roof over their head is not an act of selfishness. If the wage is not enough to live on, then you won’t get very many people that want that job. Living on minimum wage (About $210 a week) is impossible even in rural Indiana.

Free college isn’t going to solve anything, do you want higher education to become like public high schools? They are incentivized to pass students through the system even if they don’t understand basic concepts. A survey done on employers I read said that only 13% of business owners agreed that colleges prepare people for real jobs. College is quickly becoming a water down education system.

Last edited by Joseph Newton on Mar Tue 06, 2018 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 7:36 am 

Joseph Newton wrote:
Spoiled? We went from baby boomers being able to own a home and raise a family on not much more than minimum wage to the generation now that will never own a home even with a college degree. Birth and marriage rates are at an all time low, who can afford a family?
The point here being minimum wage jobs are for KIDS. You are NOT supposed to be trying to raise a family or buy a house or a car on one.

By the time you start your family and looking to buy a house and etc etc etc - you're supposed to have graduated many times over out of the minimum wage job category - but kids today like I said are spoiled.

They want handheld and babysat and to live at home in their daddy's garage loft or their mama's basement til they are 35 or 40 - or become caregivers to their now-elderly and/or handicapped parents because the State or Federal Government pays them more to do that per month than they could ever make at e.g. any kind of normal minimum wage job.

Kids anymore are SO spoiled that they PREFER those jobs (or filling in as such in other similar families) over tolerating the normal hierarchial workplace environment at the office shop or factory.

And the ones that DO leave the house are right back 5 or 10 years later with kids and/or kids and wife in tow doing the exact same thing. In my day we left home as soon as we could 16-17 yrs old in some cases moving in w 18-19 yr old cousins to start our lives and tolerated whatever we had to until we DIDN'T have to - and never looked back.

You try and explain that to kids anymore and all you get is the ``crazy'' sign behind your back - and all the whining and complaining Mister (or Miss) Me Gimme Mine/I'm Entitled attitide (rolleyes).

Pass. Thanks for calling.

You ask me - before too long we're going to have to start re-implementing the same ``company town'' system we started out with in the 30's that they still use in the military and in the Orient - all jobs have built-in residential quarters a chow hall a medic and whatever else you need for daily life all free and right there where and when you need it.

Last edited by ndiamone on Mar Tue 06, 2018 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 7:47 am 

Personally all my friends are living with their parents, that’s true. They went to college at 18, spent 4 years there and moved back into their parents house while looking for a good job. That job never came, so now they work retail jobs making $10 a hour. Some found non paying internships and have worked 2+ years hoping to get an “in” at the company.

I’m in my mid 20’s and work trades, I make the most money out of all my friends.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 7:55 am 

Joseph Newton wrote:
Some have worked 2+ years for free hoping to get an “in” at the company.
But they never explored all the other alternatives in the Company Town system described above. Military, Peace Corps disaster relief teams esp in foreign countries (and I'm not even counting the `dangerous' ones [go to Mali and help the mangled children and try to avoid being mangled yourself]) or any one of a hundred other similar occupations with a plethira of opportunities. No they give up go home snuggle up under the rafters and go on about their life like 90% of their friends.
Joseph Newton wrote:
I’m in my mid 20’s and work trades.
You're either very lucky or a very hard worker or both because as you are no doubt well aware, your average American college age boy anymore has zero tolerance for any of the ``dirty'' jobs like that we had to do in order to graduate out of the retail/min wage sector (if we didn't go to the military or Peace Corps or etc).

So they all go back to their retail job or internship or whatever instead and spend their life getting handheld and babysat by Mama and Daddy and whining and complaining about their lot in life instead of buckling down and tolerating whatever they have to until they DON'T have to in order to break themselves out of the stalemate the way we had to.

My little nephew's been working landscaping since he was 12 bec paper rte jobs were boring and you always froze to death doing it since u cdnt ride ur bike in the snow and ice w any accuracy and rtes in those days were too long to walk in the 3 hr timeframe allotted.

Five years later he's now second in command at one of the biggest landscape contractors in Michigan - just bought his SECOND house and just got married the day his fiancee turned 18 (he's four days older and never lets her forget it).

Nephew's first house - his 21 yr old twice- divorced sister (to the same guy) and her THREE kids are living there rent free until she can get out of nursing college next year - after which she already has a very-nearly-tenured position at a State rehab center.

Niece-in-law on the other hand got her RN last year in five semesters counting two summer schools the first two and first summer school of which were at her high school Magnet program that you can take as soon as the summer before your junior year. So she's already working at the same State care center in Traverse City that my niece just got a contract for once SHE'S out of the same nursing college.

So it CAN be done by the kids now - it's just who has the fortitude and who does not. As you - and my nephew - noticed - the ``has's'' are severely outnumbered by the `don't's'' and that's a problem.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

To try to pull this back on topic:

Automation and robotics are coming whether the minimum wage is raised or not. Management is not waiting for wages to rise to make a decision about how to run their businesses in the future and developers are not waiting for the wages to rise before they invent things. It's coming regardless.

I read an article a while back (I'm too lazy at the moment to try to find it on the Google machine) discussing how the McDonalds restaurants with the self ordering kiosks ended up using more labor than those that didn't. Efficiency in one job didn't mean an end to all the other positions.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 27 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next