Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 17, 2018 12:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tire rim unbending
PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 3:45 am 

My wife recently bent two tire rims (sigh). Aluminum alloy, I don't know the specs. However, in general, how do I find a competent rim de-bender who will charge a reasonable fee? Fortunately no cracks, only curb and pothole dings. Thanks for any thoughts.

Radio is a divine gift; God made us able to do one thing while listening to another.

Post subject: Re: Tire rim unbending
PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 4:11 am 

Hello TDane, I would have to say if these are manufactures rims it might pay you to just see if
you and find a used pair at an auto salvage yard or CL or even Ebay, To try to straighten them
is costly, and probably would cost more than a used pair. The only reason I would try to fix is if they were expensive rims like Boyd Coddingtons or Chip Foose rims or some classic rims. Plus if they are straightened could cause alignment problems or high speed wobble if not true.

***"Your best teacher is your last mistake"***

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 4:18 am 

Find some used rims at a scrap yard.

Bent rims are damaged. Aluminum wil work harden and get brittle. After bending back they need to be heat treated back to original specs. That is expensive.

If it is just a slight bend at the lip and holds air, I'd just live with it until you get a deal on some replacements.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 5:07 am 

Not fixable.....WA7OPY

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 5:18 am 

Buy her a new set, for all the reasons stated above. Then use the incident for leverage when you spot a radio you can't live without! 8)

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 5:33 am 

Had some factory (steel) rims straightened several years ago. With just a few months on them, they were messed up again. Dealer said they were weakened by the initial damage, and would never hold true shape again. Lesson learned.

Last edited by wiscojim on Mar Wed 07, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 3:41 pm 

Yeah, if only the car makers would go back to steel wheels. They seldom bent and they didn't leak air as so many of the alloy wheels are prone to.
Unfortunately, that's never going to happen.
Mark D.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 4:45 pm 

Mark D wrote:
Yeah, if only the car makers would go back to steel wheels. They seldom bent and they didn't leak air as so many of the alloy wheels are prone to.
Mark D.

Agree with steel being preferrable.

Are the car makers using aluminum simply to cut back on weight or appearance? Seems like some base models are still available with steel rims.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 6:16 pm 

processhead wrote:
Mark D wrote:
Mark D.

Agree with steel being preferrable.

Are the car makers using aluminum simply to cut back on weight or appearance? Seems like some base models are still available with steel rims.

Steel wheels typically come with wheel covers, or as they used to be called hubcaps. I kinda prefer aluminum if I dont need to fool with wheel covers.

Once my wife and I were on a trip with my parents following behind us and we hit the mother of all bumps and not only did we dent all four steel wheels but all four wheel covers departed the car at once.

"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" -D. Eisenhower

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 9:11 pm 

Yeah, but you apparently haven't seen what road salt does to alloy wheels. Appearance goes down the drain after about three winters. I see nothing wrong with steel wheels and wheel covers or hub caps - two different things. At least the steel wheels seldom had rim leaks, whereas the alloy wheels not only can be porous in any place on the wheel, but they leak around the bead even more. Steel wheels seldom had 'rim' leaks, and when they did a air tool and wire rotary brush will clean it up in seconds. On a alloy wheel it is usually fruitless to get it to stop leaking.
But they look pretty. Oh, and in most cases are a little bit lighter than a steel wheel.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 7:04 am 

If you don't like aluminum wheels then you'd probably not like the idea the car companies were working on some years back. It was a weight-saving idea. Plastic rims. Not plastic wheel covers but plastic rims. I only read about this once or twice and then it just disappeared.

RRM

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 4:03 pm 

I'm aware of that. Don't like it much at first blush, but if they actually come out on the market some day I'll give them a chance and see how well they hold up.
Mark D.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 5:52 pm 

Unfortunately, vehicles today use low profile tires and as a result, when you hit a pothole, there isn't much of a sidewall to protect the rim. There are firms that will repair an alloy rim and the cost I've seen quoted is about $139.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 6:17 pm 

If you ever use a can of fix-a-flat on an aluminum rim be prepared for the lecture when you go get new tires. Ask me how I know this!

"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" -D. Eisenhower

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 2:55 am 

I had an interesting experience with a bent rim about 30 years ago. I went to the tire store to get a new tire and a new rim. The tire guy said that I did not need a new rim. He got out a large hammer and hit the rim about 6 or so times. When he was done the rim looked perfect and worked fine.

Oh by the way flyboy71, how do you know that?

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 3:18 am 

processhead wrote:
Are the car makers using aluminum simply to cut back on weight or appearance?
Both. Un-sprung weight is an enemy of good handling.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 6:25 am 

My wife hit a pothole and bent the rim on her new Fusion, $150.00 to fix it! We in Michigan have some of the worst roads in the country and those roads along with the low profile tires are a gift to tire stores all over the state!

I know just enough to be dangerous.....
(Member - Michigan Antique Radio Club)

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 7:03 am 

When aluminum wheels first came out a lot of tire stores wouldn't touch them. I don't if it was the tire changing equipment or the wheels but something apparently led to a lot of boogered-up rims and the tire places didn't like the result.

RRM

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 3:18 pm 

They wouldn't touch them because the tire equipment of the day was designed for the steel wheels. The alloy wheels scratched easily - still do, and just the way the tire changer worked it would often damage the bead area which caused leaks. I have no hands on experience on that issue, but when I was a young lad in the 1960's the auto repair business I frequented because they let me use a hoist for my own work if one was empty - Very nice guys - had to get a new tire changer before they would to the alloy wheels.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 11, 2018 11:56 pm 

Purchase new rims. Wouldn't trust them even if you could re-do the aluminum...

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 27 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next