Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sun 23, 2018 3:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Meanwhile, in New Jersey....
PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 11:28 pm 

Stevie Nicks said that thunder only happens when it's raining. Not true Stevie! We are being hammered with snow and there's thunder and lightning mixed in. So much for it almost being spring. I guess like they say-March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb. This is the wettest, thickest snow I've seen in quite some time. The snow plows have completely blocked the end of the driveway.

Post subject: Re: Meanwhile, in New Jersey....
PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 12:25 am 

I am closer to the coast then you. But a few heavy wet inches.

Attachments:
March_Snow.jpg
March_Snow.jpg [ 109.11 KiB | Viewed 746 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 3:13 am 

when there is thundersnow, expect it to be white-out, blizzard, and horrendous conditions.

most of the time, it happens very quickly, such that a few to several inches can be dropped in a very short time.

when there is a bolt of lightning and especially if it is at night, the flash lights up the snow and it can be blinding.

i love thundersnow and have seen my fare share, both in the daytime and nighttime.

now, what you really want to see is thundersnow with ball lightning---at night.

THAT is fantastic.

steve

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 3:36 am 

We had the thunder snow and plenty of very wet heavy snow here, near route 130 about 2 miles east of the Delaware river north of Camden.
Realy big limbs down from maple trees, the most breakage I ever had, one about 12" diameter.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 4:28 am 

Greetings to the Forum:

I don't know where people get the idea that lightning is not associated with snow storms. If the temperature is low and the snow is dry, it is an excellent dielectric material and lightning is highly likely.

In all the time I spent on Mt. Wilson at the transmitter site, I experienced a fair number of snow storms of varying intensities. I do not recall one that was NOT accompanied by lightning. Believe me, when you are in a building only about a hundred feet from a 900 foot tower on top of a mountain, when lightning is present, you know it. :shock:

Regards,

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 2:38 am 

lightning in a thundersnow storm is blinding.

it lights up the snow and puts a camera flash to shame.

steve

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 1:39 pm 

Got 14” here, no big deal. Kids enjoyed playing in it. Problem is that we have been without power since Wednesday. Hopefully today (Friday) we will get it back. Kinda nice to fire up the oil lamps and live like they did a century ago.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 4:20 pm 

The only time I've experienced thundersnow was in the 1978 blizzard in Pennsylvania.
I was out shoveling around noontime during a lull in the snow (none was falling) when the western sky darkened dramatically. A single, very loud thunder boom echoed through the sky and it immediately began snowing like crazy. It was like the sound wave knocked the snow loose from the sky.
Very impressive!

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 1:57 am 

my first experience with thundersnow was when i was 15 back in '85 on a very interesting february thursday evening.

my dad and a few of my friends' dads took a bunch of us down to johnstown to the cambria county war memorial arena to see hulk hogan, the iron shiek, andre, piper, and the WWF like.

when we came out and was walking down market street, there was a crack of thunder and it began snowing like i never witnessed.

the snow was coming down so hard that one could not see 5 feet in front of one's self--kid y'all not.

it cracked a few bolts of lightning as we walked three blocks up and when it did, the entire valley lit up so brightly that it was absolutely blinding. the complete white out sheets of snow were illuminated.

when we walked out of the arena, there was no snow. by the time we walked up the three blocks in this thundersnow white out, there was 5 inches of snow on the car.

back in jan 2005, we were coming home to pa one friday afternoon. it was 50 degrees in fredricksburg, VA and 20 in winchester. the cold front met us on route 17 right above fredricksburg, stafford, VA at the Gieco building.

again, there was not a flake, but with one massive lightning strike plus about 5 more, it was white out conditions for about 10 minutes on R17. i could not see the tail lights in front of me.

it dropped 5-6 inches during that time. there were multiple car pileups everywhere on 17 from the 95/17 interchange, up 17 into faquier county.

by the time we got to winchester, it was 15 degrees.

even in the daytime, lightning in a white out is blinding.

steve

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 5:36 am 

Greetings to Steve and the Forum:

I don't recall any snowfalls that heavy on Mt. Wilson. We had snow coming down pretty fast on occasion, but no "white-outs". However, as I recall, most snow storms were accompanied by lightning. The humidity on Mt. Wilson during the winter is very low due to the low temperature.... can get as low as 10%. This makes for very dry snow.... and ideal conditions to generate static electricity... i.e. lightning.

It was interesting, though as our tower was often struck. One had about a 1-second warning of a strike.... we had an intercom system that was listening to outside noises most of the time... there was a speaker down by the gate to the facility that was in "listen" mode except when we were talking to someone by the gate. When a strike was imminent, the ambient noise level would drop by 10 to 20 dB.... almost the same effect you get when you need to clear your ears. I don't know the cause; perhaps the strike was already seeking its final path and created a pressure differential in the atmosphere.... anyway, the ambient noise fade was very real.

This effect lasted a second at most, then a flash and a big bang which echoed off the nearby Mt. Alta and the buildings there and all around the mountain. The flash was not white; it was violet colored.... and not overwhelmingly bright. Perhaps the energy peak was in the ultra-violet and invisible... being observed as white from a distance due to excitation of the air by the UV. Again, I don't know; I am merely speculating. I never observed a flash directly; only the reflected light that came in the boss's office window.

The plant was well designed by CBS labs in the 1950's and was properly grounded and bonded and so nothing dramatic happened when the tower was struck... for the first 20 years or so that I was there. Then people decided that they wanted to run all kinds of computer leads, security system wires etc. all over the place and the bonding and grounding procedures were ignored. I remember one storm where we were getting continuous fairly loud snapping sounds from the rack that the security system leads had been run into.... and I was watching BB sized balls of smoke being ejected from the rack and rolling over the tile floor leaving smoke trails behind them which also adhered to the floor. I assume these were small balls of molten copper.

That didn't fill me with confidence, but the main part of the plant was still using the video coax, ground system and transmission lines put in by the old regime, and we stayed on the air. All I had to do was avoid the security system rack. :D

Regards,