Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Wed 21, 2018 11:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A.C. Gilbert Co. and Radio History
PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 2:47 am 

Greetings to the Forum:

I ran across the following in Radio World: ... io-pioneer

I thought someone might be interested.

Jim T.

Post subject: Re: A.C. Gilbert Co. and Radio History
PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 3:33 am 

Pretty neat article. I have the one-tube set pictured. So far, I have been able to tune in my talking house transmitter with it, but little else.

I could be wrong, but I think that it was made to be wired up by the boy who bought it. The wiring on the bottom is connected with Fahnstock clips, so what I have may not be right. Someday I'll take a closer look at seeing if that is the problem.

Thanks for the post.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 11:13 pm 

Hi Jim T.,
Thanks for posting a link to this excellent article.

I have always been fascinated by the life and career of A.C. Gilbert, a true American genius and entrepreneur. As a young man Gilbert was a great athlete, setting world records in several track & field events and winning a Gold Medal in the pole vault at the 1908 London Olympics, later putting himself through college and graduating with a medical degree (M.D.) from Yale University. He originally intended to enter the field of sports medicine, but upon graduation instead decided to pursue a career in business. This eventually led to the formation of the A.C. Gilbert Co. of New Haven, Conn., originators of the famous Erector Sets, American Flyer S-gauge toy trains, chemistry sets, microscope sets and many other educational and scientific toys. And in addition to toys, the company also produced a number of consumer goods including radios, electric fans, kitchen mixers, etc.

From the early 1930's through the late 1950's, the A.C. Gilbert Co. was not only one of the largest toy manufacturers in the world, but was also the largest single employer in New Haven, Conn., which is saying a lot considering that New Haven was at that time such a great manufacturing center. At its peak the company employed more than 5,000 workers in three shifts. At the time of his death in 1961, A.C.Gilbert personally held more than 150 U.S. patents in his own name.

I grew up during the heyday of the A.C. Gilbert Co. I am convinced that many of the educational and scientific toys which they produced, several of which my parents were able to buy for me, contributed greatly to the aptitudes I have developed during my adult life. It is very sad that the current generation of children are not exposed to these great educational and scientific toys as my generation was.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 11, 2018 12:35 am 

The biggest Gilbert chemistry sets were wonderful. With the addition of sodium hydroxide
(then readily available in Drano) and battery acid you could really do very lots. Even without the
battery acid you could still with care make tiny bits of concentrated hydrochloric acid.

Its a terrible pity that the do-gooders HATED that and eventually stopped it. I'm just so
lucky that I still have a small account so that I can buy anything through
our stockroom. Its gotten so bad I can't even buy dyes for making microscope slides
except through them.