Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Fri 20, 2018 7:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Does plumbing suck for everybody?
PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 9:35 pm 

No such thing a a simple plumbing job.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 11:43 pm 

I too prefer the electrical work over plumbing. For me its probably because our rancher home's wiring was done as simple as apple pie. All of the wiring comes out of the breaker box, up into the attic and then runs down the middle of the attic. Then they snake out and down to each room. So far I've installed new lights, 2 bathroom fans and some other stuff and I barely make holes: Just run new wires down the same holes as the existing wiring down the wall, remove the switch or outlet and usually the new wire can be pulled through.

OTOH... of there is EVER a problem with the sewer drain pipes in my house we are screwed: They are ALL under the cement slab so I'd have to jack-hammer up the concrete which I really don't want to do.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 6:01 am 

Bob, I can relate to the sewer pipes under the slab. I built an addition on the back of our house on a slab. The original plumbing is close to the addition, but under the slab and heads diagonally under the slab to the front corner of the lot.
From my addition, I ended up digging 80 feet of ditch, across the backyard and down the side, to tie in to the sewer pipe in the front yard. I was lucky the main pipe was down below where the new pipe came to it. I used 45 degree elbows everywhere.
But it was easy to hook up to the sewer line, and I love it. After 65 years of septic tanks, we finally have sewer service and zero headaches. The building inspector was impressed with my ditch, took some pictures.

Quarter inch per foot slope on the drain pipe is easy if you tape a one inch block on the end of a 4 foot level.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 6:08 am 

Bill Harris wrote:
No such thing a a simple plumbing job.

Exactly. The biggest problem working on stuff that's old is when you touch something that you need to work on, all of a sudden something else 10 or 20 feet away becomes a bigger problem than whatever you started with.

Regarding pipes buried inside or underneath concrete floor slabs, that never should have been allowed in the first place! What moron decided it was acceptable to cover things that are known to eventually leak and need replacement with concrete floors?

I saw one case locally where a homeowner took a long weekend trip, and probably shortly after they left the plastic float valve body on the furnace humidifier let go. In this house not only the plumbing but also all the HVAC distribution ductwork was in the concrete slab, and the water from the humidifier ran through the furnace causing those ducts to fill up with water which overflowed into every room in the house. Fortunately it was only a 1/4" line but when they returned home a few days later there was several inches of water in the entire house, all the carpeting and flooring and wood baseboards, refrigerator, washer and dryer were ruined to the tune of $40,000.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 5:49 pm 

That is why we have a main water shut off valve (and easy to use ball valve) in an easy to reach location in our garage. We turn it off whenever we will be gone overnight or longer.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 5:56 pm 

FStephenMasek wrote:
That is why we have a main water shut off valve (and easy to use ball valve) in an easy to reach location in our garage. We turn it off whenever we will be gone overnight or longer.

We do too, as well as turning off all the circuit breakers for everything except the refrigerator and kitchen counter where anything needing constant power like an answering machine remains plugged in. Everything else is off.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 6:09 pm 

Likewise here when I am away. the water is off, and electric circuits except the priority ones are also off. Never had a problem but why take chances?

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 6:09 pm 

My house came with a shutoff garage in the ceiling. This dark hole you had to reach in to shut off from a ladder. I promptly put a ball valve down low where my wife could reach it.

A few weeks later the water heater went. I know my wife would not have been willing to use the original. ;)

Funny, after years of fixes and a water filter. There is now 4 shutoff valves within 6 feet of the entrance pipe.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 6:18 pm 

zenith82 wrote:
Mark D wrote:
Plastic pipe is ok for drain lines, not pressure lines. Others see it differently, but that's how I see it.

Mark D.

This.

Pex is all the rage now, but at the end of the day, we still don't know what the life expectancy of it is. I remember when some folks were trying to say that pressurized PVC with glued joints was ok - now a lot of that stuff is starting to fail. I've replaced quite a bit of it at a family member's house that was built in the mid to late '90s. After 20 years, the joints were failing left and right. And the pipe was starting to get brittle.

I'll keep on sweating in copper. Unless you have corrosive chemicals in your water supply, you'll get a lifetime out of copper provided you use Type L and do a good job on your joints.

beat_truck wrote:
...I'll be replacing all the cobbled up, corroded leaking copper crap with PVC or PEX. IMO, the only thing good about copper is that it is worth a few bucks when you rip it out and take it in for recycling. :wink:

Copper plumbing should not be like that, especially if it was only installed in the 1950s. It sounds like an improper installation. Whoever installed it either didn't brush and flux the joints or used cheap solder.

I'm well aware of PEX. It's popular because copper is $$$. It's all about saving a buck. The PEX might last just as long in the end, but copper is what I specified when this house was built because I hate plastic crap in any form. Seems to me that it always manages to break at the worst possible time. I don't trust it. Copper, on the other hand, is my friend. I know it, I know how to solder it and it has never leaked if I did the work. I'll stick with copper.

I, too, shut off the water when we're going to be gone for any length of time. Not just to go to the grocery store...
But I just shut off the switch for the well pump. I also shut off the electric water heater. I leave the rest of the power on. It's not going to short and burn, and we have two freezers and a refrigerator to consider. When we did our Route 66 trip in 2016 we were gone for several weeks. For that, I turned off a lot more stuff and in the process, accidentally shut off a freezer that was packed with meat. It wasn't pretty, nor cheap. I won't do that twice!

Mark D.

Last edited by Mark D on Mar Sat 10, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 6:25 pm 

bobwilson1977 wrote:
I too prefer the electrical work over plumbing. For me its probably because our rancher home's wiring was done as simple as apple pie. All of the wiring comes out of the breaker box, up into the attic and then runs down the middle of the attic. Then they snake out and down to each room. So far I've installed new lights, 2 bathroom fans and some other stuff and I barely make holes: Just run new wires down the same holes as the existing wiring down the wall, remove the switch or outlet and usually the new wire can be pulled through.

OTOH... of there is EVER a problem with the sewer drain pipes in my house we are screwed: They are ALL under the cement slab so I'd have to jack-hammer up the concrete which I really don't want to do.

Unless you are in an area where the water table is two feet underground, that is another reason why I (just me now, your mileage differ) would NEVER buy a house that doesn't have a basement. All the utilities go there, wiring is easy to get at as is plumbing. Plus there is space to hang clothing that's been washed but shouldn't go in the dryer, you can have a room for working on projects, like radios :-) and in my case I have space for a decent size home theater with a 100 inch screen. All in the basement with room to spare for my wife's stuff she doesn't want to get rid of in another room.
Maybe that's why I don't find plumbing work very difficult - I can see all of it. OTH, I've been doing plumbing stuff since long before we had this house. Last house was built in 1889 and had a basement AND three floors above that and it was huge. I still did plumbing there and I thank my lucky stars that I didn't have to replace any (all galvanized) pipe up to the second or third floors. I wouldn't have liked that very much.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 6:26 pm 

I agree, copper is probably the best to stick with even though it's the most expensive.

I have no problems using heavy plastic drain lines, but do not want any plastic anywhere in the supply lines.

In our area in recent years it's been fairly common to find houses with basements that have 100% of the electrical wiring in the attic or walls, the only wires in the basement come down from above to light fixtures or wall outlets. Ours built in 1956 has only the breaker panel in the basement, but all the wiring is in the attic. It seems to me that would take a lot more wire to do it that way, and I can't see any advantage to not having it all in the basement out in the open.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 7:26 pm 

Basements are handy and comfy in the right location, or a nightmare of dampness and sump pumps in other areas. Where I live, a crawlspace would be OK, but a concrete slab means I won't have to crawl under houses anymore. Did that for a living. :lol:

Plastic pipe is easy to pull into a stud cavity. So it is not hard to replace and goes around corners, too.

Re: shutting things off, Yes, good idea, especially the washer which has rubber hoses under pressure.
An old lady always turned her toilet supply valve off at the wall, because her toilet flooded her house one time. The problem began when that shutoff valve started to drip from being turned. That is the part of plumbing that makes you want to throw your pipe wrenches into the bush. :x

The easy fix for a dripping shutoff valve - buy the same valve, unscrew the big nut and install the new part into the old body. Ask Mike, he does this too. :lol:

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 8:55 pm 

Mark D wrote:

Unless you are in an area where the water table is two feet underground, that is another reason why I (just me now, your mileage differ) would NEVER buy a house that doesn't have a basement.

Well Mark old boy, even though I know you are dying to move out here to Cali, afraid it just ain't gonna happen, as we have no basements in anything built after WW2. :wink:

On the water shut-off discussions; when we used to go to our 'Vegas vacation house for two-three weeks at a time, I would turn off the main for the house water (and off the icemaker and hot water pump), but leave the one on for the outside. You don't skip watering lawns for two weeks in SoCal...

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 10:49 pm 

It sure sucked for this guy.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP30okjpCko

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries." A. A. Milne

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 11:39 pm 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MAXASM/

Actually we used many methods to unclog, none worked. But this simple looking plunger works up tremendous pressure even compared to the more impressive and complicated ones in the local building supply stores. It never reverse flips, is of heavy duty rubber like material, and fits many normal roundish hole perfectly. Not good for the newer elongated low flow toilets.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 11, 2018 3:14 am 

Mark D wrote:
It turned out that the contractor was using an unlicensed person pretending to be a plumber.
Mark D.

Attachment:
SMEdit_CurlyinPipes_PlumbingTTS-046-010web.jpg
SMEdit_CurlyinPipes_PlumbingTTS-046-010web.jpg [ 42.26 KiB | Viewed 190 times ]

John

PostPosted: Mar Sun 11, 2018 7:47 pm 

I'm not up on this subject so can someone direct my attention to any fault in Curly's plumb routing?

PostPosted: Mar Sun 11, 2018 8:10 pm 

Federated_P wrote:
I'm not up on this subject so can someone direct my attention to any fault in Curly's plumb routing?

If the object was to make a Stooge Retainer, it looks good here... :wink:

PostPosted: Mar Mon 12, 2018 7:40 pm 

Mr. Detrola wrote:
I agree, copper is probably the best to stick with even though it's the most expensive.
Not any more. Look-up Chloramine and read about the pinhole leaks it causes in copper pipes. Anything other than PEX for indoor piping is a bad idea. PEX has been around since about 1970, so is well-proven.

Last edited by FStephenMasek on Mar Mon 12, 2018 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 12, 2018 10:32 pm 

I got really lucky this weekend. The P-trap between the disposal was leaking. Somebody left a scrub pad in the disposal, it make it shake and a leak was sprung.

I looked at and decided to cut the whole thin off with a saws all. I took the assembly the hardware store and matched up new parts. Using only a single ABS slip fitting and a glue joint, it all fit perfectly.

This is the first time I can remember a plumbing fix that required only one trip to the store.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 72 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next