Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 23, 2018 1:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Does plumbing suck for everybody?
PostPosted: Mar Mon 12, 2018 10:38 pm 

I really study what I am going to get to replace an item like a faucet in order to find one that will use the existing fittings. Also find one that will last as long as possible, as you probably won't be able to repair it.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 13, 2018 2:23 pm 

I'm not sure if it's the water or not but I swear the washers in our sinks last maybe 2-3 years and then the faucets start to drip. It's not the worst thing in the world and takes minutes to fix but I seem to recall that the sinks at my parent's house were hardly ever worked on at all. This last time I installed the more durable silicon washers so we'll see...

PostPosted: Mar Tue 13, 2018 2:45 pm 

When I first moved into this house the washers seemed to last almost no time at all. Then I found the water pressure was 1/3 too high. I put in a pressure regulator, and the washers quit failing so fast.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 13, 2018 6:38 pm 

Scot Armstrong wrote:
I got really lucky this weekend. The P-trap between the disposal was leaking. Somebody left a scrub pad in the disposal, it make it shake and a leak was sprung.

I looked at and decided to cut the whole thin off with a saws all. I took the assembly the hardware store and matched up new parts. Using only a single ABS slip fitting and a glue joint, it all fit perfectly.

This is the first time I can remember a plumbing fix that required only one trip to the store.

Don't waste any of your money on lottery tickets this month - you've used up your allotment of good luck!
:wink:

-Pat

PostPosted: Mar Wed 14, 2018 1:53 am 

yes, in every possible size, shape, and form.

last labor day weekend, my FIVE YEAR OLD water heater blew the lower element.

so, I drain it and replaced the element.

when I put that rectangle cover over the top thermostat/element access area, it slipped out of my hand and sliced the meaty part between my thumb and index finger.

I saw muscles, tendons, and parts of my body that I've never seen before.

then the blood gushed.

for the pain, the injury, and the entire situation of how it happened, I don't think I ever GD'ed, "SOB'ed", and "MF'ed" so much in my entire life.

using that kind of language is NOT part of my personality, vocabulary, or repertoire, but it was that day.

the repair was a banner first class job and I "saved a lot of money", but I paid the price.

never again

steve

PostPosted: Mar Wed 14, 2018 2:30 am 

I don't mind putting in faucets, sinks, toilet guts. The worst part is once in a while you have a connection that won't stop dripping. You tighten a little, watch it for a while, then a tiny bit of water seeps out and you do it all over again and again. Frustrating when that happens. Kind of like working on my 20's radios, you always have to fix the grid leak!! :lol:

I know just enough to be dangerous.....
(Member - Michigan Antique Radio Club)

PostPosted: Mar Wed 14, 2018 3:29 am 

I never drain electric WHs to swap elements. With the water off (no other valve open) a vacuum is created as you do a quick swap. Lose about a cup of water to the insulation.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 14, 2018 5:24 am 

I remember, about 55 years ago, my uncle putting in a new chrome plated copper pipe to feed the faucet in the kitchen sink. It kept leaking and he kept tightening. And tightening. And it kept leaking.

It turned out that there was a pin hole in the pipe!

PostPosted: Mar Fri 16, 2018 1:34 pm 

Well, yes it sucks. The problem with plumbing is that there are many many "standard" sizes of things, and unlike electronics, "close" isn't good enough. You need exactly the right size fitting/adapter/pipe/washer etc .... whereas a 10uf cap might work instead of a 1uf or 20uf, not so with a pipe. It has to be exact.

Hence, many trips to the store.

For most jobs I still do it myself. Mainly because over the years of buying the WRONG thing, I have a pretty good stock of stuff around here. For something that looks like it will need 10 trips to Home Depot, I call a plumber. They have it all on their truck :)

PostPosted: Mar Fri 16, 2018 5:20 pm 

Barry H Bennett wrote:
Well, yes it sucks. The problem with plumbing is that there are many many "standard" sizes of things, and unlike electronics, "close" isn't good enough. You need exactly the right size fitting/adapter/pipe/washer etc .... whereas a 10uf cap might work instead of a 1uf or 20uf, not so with a pipe. It has to be exact.

Yeah, had this happen in a house I'm renting. Someone used the wrong fitting (not pipe threads), and my stove was leaking gas. They had taken a fitting that was *close* and wrapped a mile of Teflon tape around it...

PostPosted: Mar Fri 16, 2018 6:05 pm 

When I first moved into my house, I had to replace the water heater not long afterward. Drove to the home improvement center, got a heater, fittings and pipe. All For around $275. Had it in in 2 hours. I got a home warranty about that time and the heater needed replacing 5 years ago. It was $2000 to put it AND an anti siphon system in for it (code regs.) It was $200 out of pocket.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 17, 2018 5:13 pm 

Dutch Rabbit wrote:
... for the pain, the injury, and the entire situation of how it happened, I don't think I ever GD'ed, "SOB'ed", and "MF'ed" so much in my entire life.

using that kind of language is NOT part of my personality, vocabulary, or repertoire, but it was that day.

the repair was a banner first class job and I "saved a lot of money", but I paid the price.

never again

steve

Another Stooges reference applies. From "Disorder in the Court", when Curly is asked to swear to tell the truth, "I don't swear, but I know all the woids."

On shutting off the main water valve, my brother and sister-in-law went somewhere for a few days only to return to a flooded house. The cheap plastic water supply fitting on the refrigerator icemaker let go. :evil: That's why my wife and I decided that we'll stick to making ice cubes the old-fashioned way with the ice cube trays.

John

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 72 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4