Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Wed 19, 2018 4:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Headband magnifiers, which one work the best?
PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 4:02 am 

I was wondering what comments you guys have on selection of a headband magnifier.
Recently I had cataract surgery, and while I no longer need glasses for distance vision, I now find my up close site is not what I expected. I've tired an entire range of "drug store readers",but none come close to my pre-surgery range. I find it very difficult to solder and read component markings on circuit boards and the like. I just can't get the depth of field I need. My eye doctor did prescribe a progressive bi-focal; close up to clear for distance. He says he can't do much more for me. I'm hoping a headband magnifier would help me but there are so many to choose from. Surely other have dealt wit this problem. Any suggestions; Focal length, magnification, etc?

Thanks'

Eddie

Post subject: Re: Headband magnifiers, which one work the best?
PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 4:38 am 

Eddie, naturally I don't know what will work best for you but I can vouch for an outstanding
headband visor, the Optivisor made by Donegen Optical. I inherited one and liked it so much that when our kitty developed a lot of health problems and we were shooting her with insulin twice a day, I bought a second one for our use for filling the hypodermic needle accurately. Sadly she passed away and I now have two Optivisors and keep one on each of my two benches. They're comfortable, tough, don't scratch easily and you can easily change lenses for higher or lower power if you want. When I was shopping for a second one for use with our kitty I checked many of them out and the Optivisor surpassed many that cost a lot more. I also did not like the illuminated version as it does not necessarily throw light where you need to have it and, instead, much prefer the unlit model and a powerful bench light. One last thing: I hated the ones that have magnifying lens within its lens or an outboard magnifying lens that flips in front of the main lens. I can't imagine having to wiggle my eyes around to find the spot to look through. Too much fussing.
Attachment:
opti.jpeg
opti.jpeg [ 40.98 KiB | Viewed 797 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 4:41 am 

Another vote for the OptiVisor.
I've used them for many years, without the slightest complaint or issue.

Note that the lenses are changeable, available in a range of powers.
They're also available in either glass or plastic. The plastic ones are cheaper, of course.
I've never used (nor will) the plastic ones.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 4:59 am 

I also had cataracts removed about ten years ago. I think you are dealing with two issues; range of accomodation and size of small things & print.
Before surgery, i was very nearsighted so i could just look past my glasses and get very close to fine things to get a closeup view; it was like having a microscope builtin. That does not work now, if i get close then i can not focus.
I love my tri-focal glasses for the easy distant vision, arm's length computer screen vision, and close up book reading vision. For viewing tiny, fine print and small things i use mostly hand magnifyers from 3x to 20x or so depending on how small the things are.
The only thing i know of that will actually improve the range of focus (depth of field) is having plenty of good light so that your eye pupil can be closed down (like a camera high f-stop) tending toward a pin-hole.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 5:40 am 

I have a couple of cheap ones I've used for 10 years or so. One may have come from HF, the other I ordered from someplace like MPJ. Both were in the range of less than $10. They have main lenses, and a flip down one to increase magnification. One also has a small external lens that can also be used in addition to the other two. One came with lights but I found this made it annoying heavy so I removed them. One problem I've had with cheapies that have plastic headbands is that they cut off air and make your forehead sweat. My fix for this was to attach a piece of an old leather belt to the front of the headband.

RRM

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 6:53 am 

Another vote for the Donegan Opti-Visor! I worked for Donegan for a short time in Kansas City summer 1980. The plant was a suck job but Donegan's had their proverbial shizzle together and make a quality product, and still do. Kudos.

I recommend the #5 glass lensplate to start. And, sorry telegrapher but, the light and OptiLOUPE rock! Light is thrown exactly where I need it. Both highly desired and can be tipped up/removed if you don't want them in the way or any problem with their weight. Well worth the money!

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 2:00 pm 

Pick what you think you want and buy from Amazon. If it's not up to your standards it's super easy to return and pick another brand.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 2:34 pm 

I have one like in the picture. I have also had the less expensive plastic lens types of other brands. Those also had little lights and the issue was the light assembly was cheesy and had problems eventually. I guess the plastic ones work for less money if you can be very careful about avoiding scratching and clean them carefully. But in a work environment I eventually went with glass to avoid the issue. You will need a strong light to get the advantage of them. Eyestrain and eyestrain magnified are not good either way.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 3:34 pm 

I use these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LMC9Y56/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01LMC9Y56&pd_rd_wg=mxIMW&pd_rd_r=AP74C653RXHNMG0A62AT&pd_rd_w=jP46H

They are cheap but do the job. The light works so-so, but is adequate. I was always nearsighted when younger, but since middle age my sight has switched and now I have 20-20 vision with distance but can't hardly see my hand in front of my face. I couldn't do my hobby without these.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 8:08 pm 

Another vote for Optivisor. As noted you can select the magnification.

You can also add the Quasar LS LED lights to it...I have that on mine and it's gold!

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/To ... ifier.html

Watch the video to see how my man Dan Erlewine customized his.

-Kevin

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 1:32 am 

I was tempted by the Quasar when it was time to re-lamp. But, I stuck with original lamp replacement instead. I'm so cheap. :roll:

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 3:33 pm 

Thanks Guys.

I too am leaning toward the Optivision, I tried a set at a local camera store but they were used and the salesman couldn't tell me what magnification they were. I opted to buy the h6902B from Amazon because of the multiple lens assemblies. I figure I can try them all and decide which works best for me. This is an "open frame" type as compared to the " enclosed headband" vision type. I'm not sure how much difference that's going to make. I guess at the price, I can buy both type if need be. I expect my Amazon delivery this weekend so I'll be commenting with my evaluation soon.

Probably the Optivision Dongen will work best, I jumped the gun.

Anyway, Thanks for all your comments.

WILLITWORK: Your description is exactly what I am experiencing before and after cataract surgery. Before I used to see very well upclose (2-3 inches) without glasses, but now can not focus. I have an appointment next week with eyedoctor. I believe my eyes have changed since surgery ( about 1 year now). Hopefully he can give me a bifocal so I can at least read. Distance 10' to infinity is perfect.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 4:05 pm 

The magnification is printed on the lens plate of the Opti-Visor.
Try some hand held magnifying lens at your local store to get an idea of mag level and focal point. I recommended the 5 plate as a mid-range magnification level. I also have the 20x Opti-Loupe to drop for “tough views”. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 5:26 pm 

Y2KEDDIE wrote:
...the salesman couldn't tell me what magnification they were.

The power is printed in black ink on the front of the lens block, in an upper corner.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 7:42 pm 

Another vote for the Opti-Visor, with a #5 lens set. I also have a #7 lens set for closer detail, but the #5 is the one I use the most.

-Steve

Attachments:
opti-visor1.jpg
opti-visor1.jpg [ 219.9 KiB | Viewed 575 times ]

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 1:20 am 

Consider tri-focals if the doc will prescribe; be sure to tell the doc what you will be doing.
Some kinds of changes a while after the cataract surgery can benefit from a fairly simple laser procedure, it worked for me (capsuleotomy sp?). Some ordinary vision changes can also continue and need glasses prescription updates, usually slowly.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 2:40 am 

Steve's rockin' the 5 plate! :twisted:

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 2:43 am 

I don't know what I would do without it…

My close-up vision sucks..

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 4:29 am 

Over the last few decades I've tried maybe 3 or 4 of those hoods, but nothing beats the bargain store 3,4,5 dollar readers. I buy 1.5 and 3.0 diopter pairs. Sometimes you can find a group of 4 pair at Sams Club, Cosco, or similar store for a few bucks.

The hood in this pic was my latest. It's about 5 years old and I've used it maybe twice. I realize some folks love the things, but I think they're just a waste of money.

A lot of times the other part of the problem is lighting. I learned long ago that having plenty of "daylight" balanced florescent fixtures really helps.

There are two fixtures visible in this pic and there is a third on the other side of the A/C ducting, right over the repair bench, giving a total of 6, eight foot tubes across a 5 foot span from bench to bench. Makes the light almost "shadowless".

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 5:23 am 

I have 2 of these and I like them. Batteries don't last too long. Minor inconvenience.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8x-Head-Visor- ... Swjt5afI8~

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 23 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next