Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Thu 21, 2018 9:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Finally NJ Veteran's get a tax break
PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 6:18 am 

My tax guy informed me that as of 2017 tax year the State of NJ will give all Veterans a $3k tax credit for NJ income tax.

You have to copy your DD214 for and email it in.

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxatio ... tion.shtml

I'd be overjoyed... but in these retirement years I almost never need to pay any state tax anyway.
But it's nice.

Thank God for small favors.

Now if the IRS did that too... I'd be ecstatic!

Post subject: Re: Finally NJ Veteran's get a tax break
PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 8:21 am 

....I take back all I've ever said about New Jersey! :roll:

Wow- I know of at least a dozen NJ vets - guys I served with, and a relative. I just emailed them the link.

We'll never see that here in Virginia - it would bee too costly - vets make up 9.3% of our population (in NJ, 4.6% are vets....).

Time to call the movers? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 2:34 pm 

That's great news for us vet's. Fla doesn't have a state tax. We get all our money from the poor people who pay a lot of tax up north and then come down here and we kill them with a resort tax on everything they buy.
A lot of business around our VA hospital give us a 10% discount. Just show your VA card.

Freeman.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 3:52 pm 

New York has been talking about eliminating property tax for Seniors but I'm sure it will never happen. We do get a small rebate on our school taxes every year though.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 4:10 pm 

In Ct. we get a $3000.00 break on either your property or your vehicles taxes. Been that way forever as long as I can remember.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 6:22 pm 

Steve Johnson wrote:
New York has been talking about eliminating property tax for Seniors but I'm sure it will never happen. We do get a small rebate on our school taxes every year though.

In my town property owners get a $100 tax break.... lol
so big deal... I pay $12,000 .... right?

The only other good thing here in NJ is that afterage 65 your propertaxes are frozen .
So what ever you paid that year will never go higher.
Actually my taxes are close to $14k ... which I MUST pay ...but I file the rebate form and they return the excess over the $12k I paid at age 65.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 6:30 pm 

In my town they offer a $100 or $250 Veterans property tax deduction. I can't tell if it's $100 or $250 from the posted info:

"Senior Citizens and disabled persons wishing to apply for a $250 deduction in taxes may contact the Assessor’s Office for an application. Limitations for income and residency apply.

In order to qualify for the $250 senior citizens deduction you must:

· Have a combined income of $10,000 or less, excluding Social Security

· Be 65 years or over

· Own property in Haledon as of October 1st of the pre-tax year

· Be a full time (legal) resident of Haledon

Veterans who were honorably discharged and actively served during the following wars may apply for a $100 deduction: Operation "Desert Shield/Desert Storm," Panama Peacekeeping Mission, Lebanon Peacekeeping Mission, Grenada Peacekeeping Mission, Vietnam Conflict, Korean Conflict, World War I and World War II, Dates of induction/service apply.

In order to qualify for the $250 Veteran Deduction you must:

Own property in Haledon as of October 1st of the pre-tax year Be honorably discharged from active service Have served in one of the conflicts listed above"

PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 6:31 pm 

The other good thing here in NJ is that after age 65 your property taxes are frozen .
So what ever you paid that year age 65 will never go higher. back then I paid about $12k.

Actually NOW my taxes are close to $14k ... which I MUST pay ...but I file the rebate form and they return the excess over the $12k I paid at age 65.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 9:56 pm 

Pbpix wrote:
The other good thing here in NJ is that after age 65 your property taxes are frozen .
So what ever you paid that year age 65 will never go higher.

Still, by the time you reach 65 in this State, your property taxes will be so ridiculously high that you will be far better off fleeing South.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 10:21 pm 

Scott wrote:
Pbpix wrote:

Still, by the time you reach 65 in this State, your property taxes will be so ridiculously high that you will be far better off fleeing South.

But yes taxes are much lower and so are wages. So maybe all is equal if housing and food is cheaper there too

PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 10:27 pm 

My EX (we're friends now) just bought a condo in WestChester Co,NY for 100K with property taxes at 7K and I thought that was high way robbery. Mine are 1900 and change for a 400K home. No break for old farts. How can you retire in N.J. and still pay bills with tax bills your talking about? No wonder so many of you move down here. Isn't that the state where you can't pump your own gas also? The station has to hire someone to do that for you and someone has to pay their salary. Daaa You.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 10:56 pm 

Freeman wrote:
My EX (we're friends now) just bought a condo in WestChester Co,NY for 100K with property taxes at 7K and I thought that was high way robbery. Mine are 1900 and change for a 400K home. No break for old farts. How can you retire in N.J. and still pay bills with tax bills your talking about? No wonder so many of you move down here. Isn't that the state where you can't pump your own gas also? The station has to hire someone to do that for you and someone has to pay their salary. Daaa You.

We don't want to pump our gas here. No way.
We are "allowed" to I guess but why do I want to do someone elses job.. in the snow and rain too. I hate self check out too.
If they were paying a register clerck a salary.. then I do that work... the biz saves the salary and they do not pass that savings on to me as an inducement to do that job for them. If you want ME to self check out.. then I want part ofthe clerks pay.. so give me a 5% product discount to do it.

So we don't allow the oil companies get away with that silly self-serve maneuver here. Every time it comes up we overwhelmingly vote it down.

We in NJ demand that the oil companies provide that pump jockey service for what they charge... and it's much safer than having housewives and anybody fiddling with that flammable juice....and certainly more comfortable... and out gas prices are typically lower than most other areas.

Getting in and out of the car seat creates static electyric charges and sparks.
Here's video proof. As soon as she gets out it sparks at the metal pump causing the fire:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuZxFL9cGkI

PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 11:07 pm 

Property taxes are one reason people like California. We are fortunate to have Proposition 13. The property tax on our house, worth in the high 900s to $1M, are just $4,000 per year, as we paid $341,204 for it when it was brand new 20 years ago. Our property increases are limited to 2% per year, and seniors can move and keep an old basis.

One of my sisters and her husband, both long-time federal employees, just built a new house and retired to North Carolina because that state does not tax their pensions.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 11:18 pm 

My property taxes are extremely high because we are only 1sq mile and the only large business we had here moved to SC years ago.
That's when our taxes doubled.
We have no ratables to tax.
So the citizrns must pay it all... no industry at all.
And more than half is schools.
Also the county costs are high to support welfare and all that crap in the large cities around here like Paterson and Passaic.

So my municipal tax is only $4404

Here's how it breaks down:
County tax - $2330
Local School tax - $3799
Regional School tax - $3029
Local municipal tax - $4404
County open Space tax - $33
Municipal Library - $106

Total - $13,704

PostPosted: Apr Mon 02, 2018 12:01 am 

Pbpix wrote:
Scott wrote:
Pbpix wrote:

But yes taxes are much lower and so are wages. So maybe all is equal if housing and food is cheaper there too

Housing is half the price or less in NC mostly because the land comes cheap to the developers. Many towns in the Raleigh area for example have average incomes of $85k and higher due to the huge amount of technology in the area. But if you move after retirement, who cares about wages? I purchased a perfect 6 acre lot in a 13 house development in Apex NC and I am going to build a house similar to the one I live in now. Only difference is that I will be paying about $6k per year in property taxes vs $22k I pay now. Sure, they tax vehicles, but we are talking about a few hundred dollars.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 02, 2018 12:34 am 

Scott wrote:

Housing is half the price or less in NC mostly because the land comes cheap to the developers. Many towns in the Raleigh area for example have average incomes of $85k and higher due to the huge amount of technology in the area. But if you move after retirement, who cares about wages? I purchased a perfect 6 acre lot in a 13 house development in Apex NC and I am going to build a house similar to the one I live in now. Only difference is that I will be paying about $6k per year in property taxes vs $22k I pay now. Sure, they tax vehicles, but we are talking about a few hundred dollars.

Wow... nice project to look forward to.
Do you think you'll want a smaller house after your kids are gone?

PostPosted: Apr Mon 02, 2018 2:57 am 

Pbpix wrote:
Wow... nice project to look forward to.
Do you think you'll want a smaller house after your kids are gone?

Trying to get out of here next year after my daughter graduates HS. Then I still have the boys. One will be going into HS and the other into middle school. Boys will be going to a private school.

Figuring about 3400 sf house with a 1500+ sf metal/wood workshop in the walk out basement plus another 250 sf in the basement for my electronics workshop. My wife works for Wegmans and they are moving into the Raleigh area with 4 stores opening starting next year. So done with NJ and everyone in my wallet. It is just time to go.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 02, 2018 4:10 am 

The newspaper today had an interesting article about people all over the USA leaving crowed and expensive big cities to go to suburbs.

NJ does have these two places to enjoy (larger and fancier than any in California):
https://www.sojospaclub.com/
http://kingsaunanj.com/

and nice scenery along the coast, plus NYC is close.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 02, 2018 6:24 am 

FStephenMasek wrote:
The newspaper today had an interesting article about people all over the USA leaving crowed and expensive big cities to go to suburbs.

NJ does have these two places to enjoy (larger and fancier than any in California):
https://www.sojospaclub.com/
http://kingsaunanj.com/

and nice scenery along the coast, plus NYC is close.

They seem like they might just be high cost "massage parlors" with all the trimmings.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 02, 2018 2:32 pm 

Pbpix wrote:
Steve Johnson wrote:

In my town property owners get a $100 tax break.... lol
so big deal... I pay $12,000 .... right?

The only other good thing here in NJ is that afterage 65 your propertaxes are frozen .
So what ever you paid that year will never go higher.
Actually my taxes are close to $14k ... which I MUST pay ...but I file the rebate form and they return the excess over the $12k I paid at age 65.

Pay the school and County tax here but town is rural and the far corner has big box stores and car dealers that collect sales tax so we usually get a check from the town most years of $100-$200 instead of having to pay any town taxes.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 22 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next