Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Thu 20, 2018 11:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: My Dashcam Captured Accident
PostPosted: Mar Sat 31, 2018 11:03 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk05oX_ ... e=youtu.be

Last year, my wife and I gave each other matching dashcams. I've always wanted to capture a meteor or something, but they are much rarer than car accidents. Last year, my wife's dashcam captured video of a motorcycle rider speeding past her, only to run into a car emerging from a side street. The officer actually took my wife's SD card. She never got it back. That's ok, since we weren't willing to wait on it anyway.

Today, my dashcam captured this video of a car blowing through a red light and hitting a vehicle entering the intersection. No one was hurt, but that wouldn't have been the case a split second later, as the SUV would have been broadsided.

I gave my phone number to both parties and told them I had dashcam video. I received a call from the officer, who didn't request the video, but he wanted to know the status of the traffic light, as he was getting two completely different stories from the drivers.

I hear that in Russia many drivers use dashcams because of the court system. It's hard to argue with very recent video.

Post subject: Re: My Dashcam Captured Accident
PostPosted: Mar Sat 31, 2018 11:18 pm 

If it goes into some sort of dispute you still might be asked for the dash cam card. Make a copy of it before that happens if you want to preserve it.
Mark D.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 31, 2018 11:41 pm 

The video shows the light on your side is red when you went thru it,might not wanna give it to them....
Phil

PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 12:06 am 

Philco Fan wrote:
The video shows the light on your side is red when you went thru it,might not wanna give it to them....
Phil

He entered the intersection on yellow, so he is legal

PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 12:14 am 

I know just about everybody calls them "accidents" but that's really is sort of a poor choice of word. Not to be pedantic, we wouldn't do that here at ARF!

PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 1:00 am 

Philco Fan wrote:
The video shows the light on your side is red when you went thru it,might not wanna give it to them....Phil

Yep, I, too, saw it turn red on the video, but what we are seeing is somewhat misleading, having been influenced by camera placement and optical science. I was unable to see the light change in real life because the light was almost directly overhead and had already passed out of my view. When you see it turn red, the traffic signal is beyond what's visible through the windshield from my head position, which is much further back than the camera. The camera is so far forward and the lens is so wide angle that the red light appears to be more in front of me, when actually it's practically overhead. As I was already in the intersection, I wouldn't be ticketed or considered to be driving in an unsafe manner just because the light turned red before I exited the intersection.

The original unclipped video shows my red light turning green while I'm sitting there, and this clip starts exactly when the light turns green. It's green for eight seconds, yellow for four seconds. It turned yellow during my entry into the intersection. In our state that's ok (yellow means caution) and you're still ok if the light turns red while you are in the intersection. It would not be ok for it to be red before you enter the intersection.

Curious, does an eight second green light seem short?

PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 1:14 am 

After I got blamed for a speeding, weaving through traffic driver clipping my car I installed a dashcam. She was running late to a doctor’s appointment for her kid which she admitted to me after I followed her for at least a quarter mile to get her to stop. She kept looking at me in her mirror until she realized I wasn’t going to give up. I don’t know the whopper she had to spin to shunt the blame to me but I will have documentation should it happen again. My cam sees them coming and going. One cam is on the windshield and the other is on my rear window, both have a 170 degree view. It displays smooth, high quality video sharp enough to read license plates clearly on both cams. Gotta love the Washington, D.C. drivers. I guess the out-of-towner gets to bite the bullet.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 1:47 am 

Back to red lights - In Minnesota you can enter on the green and exit the intersection after it turns red and all is well.
If you enter on the yellow, you need to exit the intersection or you might get a ticket if a cop sees it AND decides to do something about it.
That said, I go through on the yellow just as often as anyone else anyway. So far, no stops, no tickets. It's not enforced much. If there were a wreck, that might change things quickly.

I don't have any dash cams, never seen one. But I've heard about them. People are getting them more and more for their own protection. I can see that. What does a GOOD one cost and where do you go to get them? Are they self powered and just sit on a Velcro pad so they can be moved from car to car easily?
Mark D.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 2:09 am 

In FL you can stop at a red then go . It's called Right on red.

jason

PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 2:11 am 

Bugman wrote:
One cam is on the windshield and the other is on my rear window, both have a 170 degree view. It displays smooth, high quality video sharp enough to read license plates clearly on both cams.
Make & models? Would you recommend them?

I'm curious to get one, but don't trust any of the online sales pitches.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 2:13 am 

I received a warning about five years ago for entering an intersection on yellow here in Kansas. Don't do dat no mo!

PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 2:27 am 

Mark D wrote:
I don't have any dash cams, never seen one. But I've heard about them. People are getting them more and more for their own protection. I can see that. What does a GOOD one cost and where do you go to get them? Are they self powered and just sit on a Velcro pad so they can be moved from car to car easily?
Mark D.

I paid $70.99 for this one. Looks to be out of stock. It was packaged elegantly and I'm amazed at the value. You can see its video in the OP link.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0119 ... UTF8&psc=1

It's secured by a 2 1/2-3" suction cup to the windshield. It has a lever to tighten the cup. Every couple months I find mine hanging from the cord, mainly during hot months. It comes with a 12V lighter adapter with cord long enough to be hidden under the edges of the interior trim of the car. On both our vehicles, the cord is routed from the dash around the trip above the passenger's feet, up the side post and along the windshield. I used a plastic knife to pop the wire under the trim.

When you start the car, the camera powers up and starts recording before my car's computer finishes booting up (that's another story.) It stops recording about 10 seconds after the engine is turned off. It records onto a 32G SD card until it fills it up, then starts overwriting the oldest files. I think we get about three hours before it starts over writing. The loop setting ( 1 min, 3 min or 5 min) determines the duration of each consecutive video file. File format is MOV. You can copy the file directly off the SD card, or plugin a USB cord and your computer sees the camera as mass storage.

In use, it's easy to forget it's there, as it's hidden from my view by the real view mirror. My wife discovered hers had not been recording because the lighter plug was not inserted all the way for months. The camera's internal battery ran out of juice, so the date and time were reset. When I was in the car with her, I discovered this, and was at first perplexed at the times and dates of the latest recordings that occurred after I re-inserted the plug. So you do need to check it occasionally. Otherwise, out of sight, out of mind.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 3:31 am 
Site Admin

Popular here are dash cams built into the rear view mirror. There's a display that shows through a section of the mirror when it's on. Many of them also have a second camera for recording what's happening behind the car. They're pretty cheap, with prices ranging from about $20 and up.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 4:04 am 

Garmin is an excellent brand of dash cams.

spending around $150 or better will get you absolutely phenomenal HD video.

steve

PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 4:41 am 

wiscojim wrote:
Bugman wrote:
One cam is on the windshield and the other is on my rear window, both have a 170 degree view. It displays smooth, high quality video sharp enough to read license plates clearly on both cams.
Make & models? Would you recommend them?

I'm curious to get one, but don't trust any of the online sales pitches.

I bought the Rexing V1P a couple years ago. The only complaint I would have is the double face tape they supply. It has no staying power. I picked up some "Gorilla Tape", double face type, and it's held well. I recommend it but stringing the rear cam makes it a project to move it between vehicles. It comes on when you start the car and shuts off when you turn the engine off. It ran about $150 if I remember correctly and I bought it on Amazon. When you move the card to your computer you can watch the videos. There are two files for every travel segment, one for the front and one for the rear. It's like sitting on the hood or the rear bumper of your car. Check the comments posted online. Some people have said it's too complicated but I had no issues mounting and setting it up. The most difficult part was subduing the appearance of the wire trailing to the rear cam so it doesn't stand out too much. I have an SUV and there was plenty of wire to reach the rear window with a few feet of excess. I have no affiliation with Rexing or Amazon so will not benefit if you decide to buy one. I'm just a satisfied customer.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 6:35 am 

Bugman wrote:
I'm just a satisfied customer.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 2:08 pm 

I'm another satisfied customer with the Rexing V1P cameras.

Larry

PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 3:15 pm 

Thanks, Larry.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 3:34 pm 

N0NB wrote:
I received a warning about five years ago for entering an intersection on yellow here in Kansas. Don't do dat no mo!

I went to engineering school in Eastern Kansas and was amazed at many of the strange laws and mostly atrocious driving skills there. The state law nearly everywhere has no prohibition of entering a lighted intersection on yellow. The purpose of the yellow was to give the warning the light would turn red in a specified number of seconds. That time interval should be one second for every 10 mph for the street/road the red light affects. Many cops do not know the law and nearly every civilian has never read the law. I hold that your traffic cop did not know the law and/or was padding his citation count.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 01, 2018 3:58 pm 

reeves03 wrote:
In FL you can stop at a red then go . It's called Right on red.

jason
Right on Red means you can make a right turn, after stopping to make sure nobody's coming.
If Florida allows you to go straight across on a red, why even have a light? A stop sign would work for that.

It makes sense that the duration of the yellow light is set according to the posted speed. In a small town near me, the yellow light switches to red so quick, yellow pretty much means "Hit the brakes." Why? Because we are all exceeding the speed limit at that point. If you try to hold to the speed limit, you'll get rammed and pushed off the road. :lol:

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 29 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next