Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 21, 2017 4:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: SARS Atlanta swap meet 10/14/17
PostPosted: Sep Sun 10, 2017 12:28 am 

SARS swap meet Saturday October 14th 7:00 am until about noon. Golden Corral parking lot, 915 North Point Dr. Alpharetta, GA 30022 Details, see sarsradio.com See you there.

Post subject: Re: SARS Atlanta swap meet 10/14/17
PostPosted: Sep Wed 20, 2017 1:19 am 

Had a GREAT time at the last meet! :)

K4DLM

PostPosted: Sep Sat 23, 2017 12:57 am 

I have a question for the SARS members. I have only been to the Nashville meets until now. Busy with life and helping out elderly family members stopped me from going to others. With that said I was wondering about the swap meets you have. I mostly look for advertising, basket case radios in bad shape and parts. I like to find them in really bad shape and see if I can get it going. With that said I have been thinking of making the trip to other areas such as this club and the Alabama club. How does this meet compare in size to Nashville and are there lots of parts,repair paperwork and advertising or is it mostly restored radios?

PostPosted: Sep Sun 24, 2017 7:22 pm 

willy3486 wrote:
I have a question for the SARS members. I have only been to the Nashville meets until now. Busy with life and helping out elderly family members stopped me from going to others. With that said I was wondering about the swap meets you have. I mostly look for advertising, basket case radios in bad shape and parts. I like to find them in really bad shape and see if I can get it going. With that said I have been thinking of making the trip to other areas such as this club and the Alabama club. How does this meet compare in size to Nashville and are there lots of parts,repair paperwork and advertising or is it mostly restored radios?

Like Forest Gump said, "Life is like a box of chocolates..." Swap meets are like that, too. I'm a SARS member and to the best swap meet we have is the Winter meet, which is normally our biggest. There are always basket case radios available and we have an auction at the end of our meets where many radios go for cheap$. I've seen and sold advertising pieces, bought and sold radios and parts. We've got a great club and some super nice members. Here's a link to our SARS website: http://www.sarsradio.com/swap%20meets.htm

Nashville has a fine bunch of folks and a great meet, too: http://musiccityvintageradio.org/

I haven't been to an Alabama swap meet in several years, but when I last went, I had a good time and there were lots of good items there. They also have a radio museum you'd like enjoy, too: http://www.alabamahistoricalradiosociety.org/

Lastly, Charlotte has a nice Spring swap meet. Take a look at this link: http://www.cc-awa.org/

Hope that helps you a little with your questions! These are ALL good clubs with very nice, helpful members :D
David

K4DLM

PostPosted: Sep Mon 25, 2017 12:39 pm 

Thanks for the reply. The Nashville meet is great but I would like to find other swap meets, I probably wouldn't mind going to 3 or 4 a year. My wife and I took care of elderly relatives for almost 20 years and raised our daughter during that time. So now we would like to get out some. I had probably close to 200 radios back in 2012 that I have went through most of the ones fixable. With the Nashville meet and other places I got them I have now probably added 100 more. I am not so much into collecting them as I am fixing them. I prefer to find the parts to fix them. eventually I may get back into fixing them for others.

The Alabama one is about 2 1/2 hours away and the SARS is about 3 1/2 hours away. Both of these would be doable for us without much trouble. The Charlotte would be great to go to but that may take a little planning, a day to drive the meet, then the day to drive back. the ones in Ga and AL we could go down the afternoon before. What I really would like to do is find lots and lots of parts. We just bought some land with a barn on it so I plan to move most of the stuff not dealing with tubes in my current workshop to the barn and then use building I have now for tube stuff. Next spring I may have to go to one of these meets if not both of them.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 27, 2017 7:30 pm 

Don't forget Kutztown!!!

K4DLM

PostPosted: Sep Thu 28, 2017 12:35 pm 

Dnitram wrote:
Don't forget Kutztown!!!

Kutztown would be my first choice but due to the distance I will pass for now. Its about a 8 to 10 hour one way drive. Right now my max would be about 4 hours. Eventually I would love to go there but I would probably need to rent a uhaul and fill it up. I expect Kutztown for me to be once in a lifetime or if I get into tubes to the point of reselling radios I restore to be able to go. Maybe when I retire but thats at least 10 to 15 years off. But I would love to go.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 06, 2017 2:12 pm 

We're just a week away! Since Golden Coral lets us use their parking lot, most of us either have breakfast and/or lunch there and the food is pretty good and very reasonable... If you're a "gray hair" like me, get the senior discount :D

K4DLM

PostPosted: Oct Thu 12, 2017 10:07 pm 

The good folks in Nashville are having their swap meet the same day as ours. We'll all miss them, good folks!

K4DLM