Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 11, 2017 4:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How to kill radio club events
PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 5:32 am 

The start in the dark baloney is a great way to keep new people away, especially those with younger children.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 6:04 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
3) What's with this 7AM crap?!?!?

At least in the San Francisco area they have the good sense to make it 8:00 (and absolutely no selling before then) . 7AM is too early, especially for folks who live a distance away.

The couple of years I attended Extravaganza in Michigan I hated their start time--dawn. Not a specified hour, just dawn, so nobody knew exactly when it would begin and trading took place in the dark. [Note: This was several years ago and I don't know if they still do this, but it's stupid).

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 1:07 am 

fifties wrote:
FStephenMasek wrote:
The SCARS two day event last week was held at a motel wit no working restrooms in the meeting room building, and no water, so they used paper / plastic plates.....

Well hell, that's a deal killer right there; I only dine on fine china, when seeking antique radios... :wink:

ROFLOL :lol:

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 5:05 pm 

The questions to ask:

1) Why did those who are club members not attend an event?

2) Why did those who are not members not join?

It is,a mistake to focus on on those who do attend, especI ally if they are a minority of members.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 5:20 pm 

this last weekend there were 3 swap meets on the same day:
a non radio meet
a ham radio meet
an antique radio meet
I was going to try to go to one or more of the radio meets but I had a lot to do.

I went to the non radio meet as I am winding down on my radio collecting (I have reached saturation and have no more room).

I did not go to the Ham meet because it was too far away, started too early, and I am not into ham radio. There is nothing interesting on SW anymore, and I have no interest in talking to crabby old guys about how no one want to do ham radio anymore.

I did not go to the Antique radio meet as it was in the opposite direction (as I said before) I have no more room for radios, and I have no current needs for test equipment, parts or anyting else. I would love to sell some stuff there but their rule of having to be a member keeps me from doing that. I don't want to join a club I won't attend, just so I can sell.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 10:26 pm 

FStephenMasek wrote:
The questions to ask:

It is,a mistake to focus on on those who do attend, especI ally if they are a minority of members.

I've gone to the SCARS once-a-year meets in Burbank for the last 3 years, but I'll give you a real good reason why I haven't joined the club.
It's simply because the rest of their meets are just too far away. The last one was in Carlsbad, 120 miles away, and then I'd have to pay for a motel room. It just ain't worth it for me, esp given that I've already got most of what I want.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 12:03 am 

Members of SCARS live far apart. Most from Northern LA area, where you are located, to San Diego. I am a member in Livermore, 400 miles away. Carlsbad meet is a 2 day event which takes place once a year. During the year meets are held at different locations.

Agree if you want to buy radios it's too far to drive. There are other things such as dinners, meetings, auctions, visiting with others and just seeing what's out there. SCARS is having classes about radio. Hopefully it gets to the internet so no travel is required.

CHRS is different. Here we are located in Alameda. Within 50 miles of most members. For those in Sacramento Valley there is another CHRS chapter in Turlock.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 1:39 am 

FStephenMasek wrote:
The questions to ask:

1) I don't know.

2) The Phoenix antique radio club is too far away to go to meetings. They don't seem to do much except have a few rather poor swap meets. And they appear to not be having them in Tucson any more.

I don't join the ham clubs because I am not a ham but I do find the hamfests good sources of tubes, parts, supplies, etc. There generally are a few antique broadcast radios there as well as LEDs, records and CDs, computer stuff, cables and adapters, the supposedly "hard to get" screw-on microphone connectors, etc. It's not all ham stuff and the prices are more reasonable than "antique" prices.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 3:01 am 

I used to go to NJARC meetings years ago, it was a good bunch and well-run. Then they moved farther North to Parsippany. Too far.

I'd suggest that the word needs to spread about Kutztown, Ham clubs, ARCs etc. outside of Usual channels. I'm not sure how else you're going to attract interest of new blood.

My divorced sister asked me how she could meet some guys at her age.
I told her to take the test and get active in 2 meters.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 10:16 pm 

120 miles too far? man you guys got it good....... i just did 4hrs each way last week for a large collection. an f150 load of collins and hallicrafters made it worth it though :mrgreen: i dont flinch at driving an hour or two to a good hamfest in hopes of finding some cool old radios. things are much more sparse down here in south Fl.

there are younger folks interested in learning about tube gear but the "show up at dawn" thing coupled with the general grumpy attitudes found at many hamfests kill it. i know i keep bringing up hamfests but that really is the source for geeks looking for their first old radio. i'm aware of ONE dedicated antique radio show in my state and it starts at o'dark thirty with a tiny turnout. being halfway across the state it's simply not worth the drive on a whim.

these shows need to have more mainstream friendly hours and advertise better. advertising doesn't need to cost money. craigslist, facebook, community events page in the paper, etc can all be had for free.

our numbers are already small and dwindling. why is there so little effort in promoting the hobby and making it accessible?

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 7:13 pm 

Many clubs still rely solely on word of mouth and have never utilized social media or the many free ways to advertise their events online. 20+ years ago you could simply mail out some flyers to your membership and expect 100 people to show up. Today, not so much. There are thousands of casual collectors out there who would have a blast at these swap meets but most of them are completely unaware that they even exist.

What I have observed at several recent swap meets that I have attended is that a majority of the attendees are seasoned collectors who probably are not going to buy anything unless it is something they have specifically been looking for or is rare/high end. There is often a good turnout of sellers, just nobody wants to buy anything. When buying is slow, sellers stop showing up. Less sellers = less buyers show up = less sellers at future meets. That is how the death spiral begins.

For these meets to survive we will need to draw in more of the general public and get word out to the newcomers to the hobby. There are several local venues that host seasonal art showS/flea market type of events and I have thought about reaching out to some of them to see if they would be open to letting an antique radio swap meet be held at one of their events.

A few of my ideas to help boost an event:

Have your meet at a good venue. Dark and gloomy, parking lots in an old/bad part of town is not a good location. Preferably somewhere with indoor setup. Close to hotels/restaurants always helps lure in out of town attendees.

Start the meets later in the morning, 9AM or so, and enforce the selling time. I have driven hours to attend a swap meet only to arrive well before the start time and see that selling has been in full force for some time. In this particular case the meet was advertised to start at 8. I got there at 7 to set up a table and buyers were already leaving by that point. The meet was dead by 9. I haven't bothered to go back since.

Figure out ways to reduce selling fees. Maybe a raffle, donation auction, donations, etc. to cover costs. A lot of radio collectors are cheapskates and even a $10 fee to sell is enough to drive them away.

Come up with fun contests with actual prizes. Blue ribbons are fine, but not enough to motivate people to bring something to show off and participate. Prizes could be a gift card to AES/RadioDaze, or some handy tools/supplies to use for restoration.

Figure out ways to make the meets be warm and welcoming. Have an assigned greeter by the door to show newcomers information, hand out flyers, and answer questions. Name tags are always good.

Younger people and those who are not yet retired tend to stay very busy. If you have a mailing list or list the event online (Facebook) consider sending out event updates up to the day before the meet. For example: Before the last MSARC meet I sent a casual email the night before to a fellow I know who has gotten into collecting but works a rather demanding job. The next day I saw him at the meet where he ended up purchasing 3 more radios for his collection. He later thanked me for the reminder and said that he had completely forgotten about the meet until my email. I can't help but wonder if we had sent a club wide email the day before if it would have reminded more people in turn driving them to attend.

You can advertise like crazy for a swap meet and get a good number to show up. But unless it is a fun and welcoming experience, they won't come back.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 7:43 pm 

it took me several hours over several weeks of searching to find the information on local radios swap meets here in phoenix. basically if I don't check the websites for the organizations, I would not usually find out about them.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 7:56 pm 

Flinx wrote:
it took me several hours over several weeks of searching to find the information on local radios swap meets here in phoenix. basically if I don't check the websites for the organizations, I would not usually find out about them.

I see the same thing here. For the MSARC meets I posted on a city wide event page (gotolouisville.com), created a Facebook page for the club, listed the event on the club FB page, shared that page across the antique radio groups on FB, as well as posted on several Craigslist pages in nearby cities.

As a result I saw a lot of new faces at the last meet. On my sign-up sheet I asked "How did you hear about the club" and several people indicated the internet or Facebook.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 4:15 pm 

You would think that the right person with good interpersonal skills and the correct skill set could join the leadership of the obvious geographically located radio club and effect the stated/implied change(s).

You would think...

BR,

Terry

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 6:02 am 

Alan Voorhees wrote:
Quote:
3) What's with this 7AM crap?!?!?

At least in the San Francisco area they have the good sense to make it 8:00 (and absolutely no selling before then) . 7AM is too early, especially for folks who live a distance away.

The couple of years I attended Extravaganza in Michigan I hated their start time--dawn. Not a specified hour, just dawn, so nobody knew exactly when it would begin and trading took place in the dark. [Note: This was several years ago and I don't know if they still do this, but it's stupid).

Alan,

I think that was when it was in Lansing and held outside in tents. I know the last several years in Kalamazoo it started at 8 AM. But I heard stories about the dawn-start. Some participants told me that was the way a swap was supposed to start with people trickling in, in the darkness.

Mark

PostPosted: Dec Sun 10, 2017 3:12 am 

Flinx wrote:

And if you didn't know they existed why would you even look for their websites? And just as bad, some clubs have no idea how to make an appropriate web page for an event. They make you go from one screen to another to find the information you need. (This isn't limited to radio groups; the state fair does the same thing.) All the information should be on one pdf that can be printed on 8 1/2 X 11 paper. It should include the name of the event, the date, the location, how to get there if they are looking for out-of-town attendees, the admission and/or parking charge, and anything else that would help people get there. If there are seminars the schedule should be included, as should any door prizes., VE testing, a GOTA station, QSL checking, food, and anything else that might attract people.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 10, 2017 4:18 pm 

Flinx wrote:
this last weekend there were 3 swap meets on the same day:
a non radio meet
a ham radio meet
an antique radio meet
I was going to try to go to one or more of the radio meets but I had a lot to do.

I went to the non radio meet as I am winding down on my radio collecting (I have reached saturation and have no more room).

I did not go to the Ham meet because it was too far away, started too early, and I am not into ham radio. There is nothing interesting on SW anymore, and I have no interest in talking to crabby old guys about how no one want to do ham radio anymore.

I did not go to the Antique radio meet as it was in the opposite direction (as I said before) I have no more room for radios, and I have no current needs for test equipment, parts or anyting else. I would love to sell some stuff there but their rule of having to be a member keeps me from doing that. I don't want to join a club I won't attend, just so I can sell.

There are a lot of dynamics here and organizations need to work together for the good of all. I visit Phoenix in the winter and I went to a Hamfest the past couple of years. Yes, mostly all ham equipment, which is what you would expect, but a few guys were set up selling old radios. I saw nothing that interested me, and was curious why there were not more antique radio sellers. At least they showed up at a Hamfest. As Flinx says three events on the same day that could have been combined into on meet for the betterment of all. I could not find an antique radio meet or club in the Phoenix area and when I contacted a couple of collectors there was no interest in meeting or there was no response. Very disappointed in lack of response. Felt like I was in an old radio dessert, compared to much more active and social areas back east. I don't bother taking any stuff with me for possible swap or sell anymore.

If there is in fact an Antique Radio Club there it really behooves all collectors in the area to join and attend meets. Much greater opportunities to buy sell, swap and find someone to repair. The club can benefit all of them. I have seen it in MD and TX, where clubs started and grew and prospered. Still there are a lot of "closet collectors" all around that have no desire to link up with others. I find the people as interesting as the radios and look forward to seeing them and making new friends. I just travelled to Dallas, TX and linking up with a number of old radio friends, from CO and Kansas City - the only time I get to see them. But that's just me! I wish Phoenix would get organized and active. I always bring radios to work on and would love to link up and maybe swap and sell, especially if I knew there was a good venue. There is most certainly strength in numbers in this hobby!