Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Mon 24, 2018 12:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Next big show... MARC's Vintage Electronics Expo July 12-14
PostPosted: May Mon 21, 2018 4:48 am 

The next "Big One" is the Michigan Antique Radio Club's summer "Vintage Electronics Expo" (formerly known as "Lansing" or "Extravaganza", now located in Kalamazoo Michigan, midpoint between Chicago and Detroit (just over 2 hrs from either). This show is July 13-14 flea market, with auction on Fri July 13 also and a social event that eve as well. There is dealer set ups and one seminar on Thurs eve, July 12. No selling until show opens Fri morning at 8am.

Looks like we will have a very nice auction, with many estate items coming in.

This is the only ALL INDOORS, multi-day major vintage electronics show in the USA. Air conditioned 40,000 sf total, easy load-in, nice polished cement floors, AC power everywhere from above, great lighting, nice bathrooms, nice food concession open all day. Full camping allowed with permit from venue, including RV hookups. 8 motels within 2 miles.
Flyer and info on the event site at http://www.thevee.org Look for Extravaganza Flyer under Events.

We are working to get our new MARC site up soon for all on-line memberships and seller space registration but you can also copy the brochure off the site and send in by mail as in the past. Seller spaces nearly sold out last year (they did at the winter show in Detroit area and we set a new attendance record). We are making a strong new effort to attract newbies to the Kalamazoo Expo show.

One trick we have planned is to set a Guiness World Record for "Most Record Players Playing Same Song Simultaneously". There seems to be no standing record. We selected the Beatles' "Hey Jude" as its a slower song, easy to synch up, and longer song, plus its 50 yrs old this summer ! Hope to make this really "blow up" on social media. We are currently buying copies of the 45RPM record, so if you have any to sell please contact me. Would like to get about 25+ copies if possible. And, if you have a good working record player, bring it and participate ! This event happens at noon on Saturday, July 14.
Mark Oppat
MARC Media volunteer
734-207-234 SIX

Post subject: Re: Next big show... MARC's Vintage Electronics Expo July 12
PostPosted: Jun Thu 21, 2018 4:36 pm 

If you can only come for one day is Friday the best? I am 3+ hours +1 time zone away.

Matt

PostPosted: Jun Thu 21, 2018 5:38 pm 

matt's basement wrote:
If you can only come for one day is Friday the best? I am 3+ hours +1 time zone away.

Matt

Friday is the best for seasoned collectors. The flea market opens 8am, runs to about 4pm. The main auction starts at 2pm in adjacent room (flea mkt/ display room is 20,000 sq ft, the auction room is about same).

Saturday is best for the general public and bargain hunters. There are two "Silent Auctions" and the "Bargain Auction" at 3pm. Sellers are more open to lowering prices later on this day if they dont want to take something home, especially larger or heavier items of course !

Thurs is for seller set up and one seminar in the eve.

We are expecting a few fresh to the market estates to come in.

The whole schedule is up on the website and you can register as a seller or attendee there online now. A note to sellers:
you buy your first seller table or booth then select the extras separately as they are priced less. Note also if you are a MARC member or not. General admission to the flea market and auctions is just $5 if you dont want to be a seller or attend any seminars.

Each year has grown for this event. All indoors, no weather issues ! Lots of motels nearby and on-site camping or RV hookups allowed with permit from Expo Center. Dont miss !
www.thevee.org
Mark Oppat
MARC Media Relations volunteer

PostPosted: Jun Thu 21, 2018 7:08 pm 

Thanks Mark, I was last at the MARC big summer meet in 1995. I remember the auction went into the wee hours of the night like 2am or so and some major dollars changed hands. My wife and two kids came and the following day we drove up into Canada for some vacation time. That was before ebay. I've been working on my house this year to get it ready to sell next spring so some serious consideration of what to do with all these radios has to take place. I don't have the time this year to be an exhibitor, but next year I have got to get serious. Do I need to be a club member to view the Fisher & Scott radios entered in the contest?

Matt

PostPosted: Jun Fri 22, 2018 9:15 am 

Yes you can view the contest with your $5 gen. admission. See you there !
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Jun Tue 26, 2018 6:51 am 

Mark,

I know I'm a cheap scoundrel so I've decided to join. I could not find membership on the menu at the shop page. I'll just sign up when I get there. I could be wrong, but as I remember your club had a Grebe grandson guest speaker at the dinner back in '95. He gave a presentation and showed a movie. Any chance Chip Fisher might be there doing something similar regarding his father? I don't know anything about H.H. Scott's descendants, but that would be cool.

Matt

PostPosted: Jun Tue 26, 2018 8:57 am 

Dont have any contact with Chip Fisher or anyone from Scott but it would have been great to know about them earlier so we could invite them. You can easily join up at the show, we are still getting the on-line membership set up. Glad to see you'll be back after all these years ! Be sure to come by my booth and say hi. My wife is there usually doing capacitor orders for folks, she has bright blue or magenta hair !
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Jun Tue 26, 2018 4:21 pm 

Mark, I'll definitely stop by your booth and say hi.

Re Chip Fisher:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/chipfisher/

He looks a lot like his dad. I didn't know about him either until last night. I lucked into a couple recent Fisher finds ('61 Coronet II Modern console and an X202-A) and was googling around for history. Somebody at audiokarma posted a link to an old Rolling Stone interview from 1976 with Avery and in the interview Fisher mentioned he had a son who listened to Little Feat.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/a-conversation-with-avery-fisher-americas-original-baron-of-high-fidelity-19760923

https://www.nytimes.com/1994/02/27/obituaries/avery-fisher-philanthropist-dies-at-87.html

PostPosted: Jul Tue 10, 2018 10:46 pm 

Get out of the heat and come inside, it's a blast and even if you think you've seen it all, or need nothing, you'll find a item that you must have.

David

PostPosted: Jul Tue 10, 2018 11:18 pm 

ROAD TRIP TIP.... grab a pal and also hit the Kalamazoo Blues Fest thats in town, AND, this : www.gilmorecarmuseum.org I hear its really great. Oh, and the unique Kalamazoo Beer Exchange. like the stock exchange, the beer prices change all day ! Occasional "crashes" occur too.... prices drop ! Fun, and good food.

I will be bringing a ton of stuff. Just got a load of Halicrafters (several S-38's, a SX99, TW1000, etc) and Zenith Trans-Oceanics. Stock up on Electrolytics, folks.... the 25% tariff will be kicking in on those soon.... I just got the notice from my supplier (not on the axial mylar caps apparently, they are from Singapore).
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Jul Wed 11, 2018 5:17 am 

That's right Mark the Gilmore is awesome. If your interested in the blues fest then your probably into guitars. Bring your camera and make the trip down to 215 Parson street to take a selfie of yourself in front of the Gibson guitar factory, the real deal. Not that place in Nashville that has Orville Gibson rolling in his grave. Now the home of the prestigious Heritage guitar Company factory This is the real deal, the place where the paf pickup was developed, and the Les Paul, the SG, the ES335 and all the other world famous stringed musical instruments were made by the greatest luithers ever... Pure Michigan history and Americana.... If that factory could talk... Wow!

David

Post subject: getting loaded for KALAMAZOO
PostPosted: Jul Wed 11, 2018 2:00 pm 

Will have the trailer packed this morning. Looking forward to a great show!

Attachments:
DSC02138.JPG
DSC02138.JPG [ 135.75 KiB | Viewed 889 times ]
DSC02139.JPG
DSC02139.JPG [ 134.31 KiB | Viewed 889 times ]
DSC02140.JPG
DSC02140.JPG [ 121.6 KiB | Viewed 889 times ]
DSC02141.JPG
DSC02141.JPG [ 133.15 KiB | Viewed 889 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Sat 14, 2018 6:13 am 

Lots to see. Pictures of most of 1st day here:

http://www.indoorphin.com/radio/marc_expo2018

Pictures are slow to generate thumbnails because they are too big. Click actual size to zoom in.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 14, 2018 12:31 pm 

My wife and I went on Friday, this was my first time and went home with three radio's.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 14, 2018 5:53 pm 

matt's basement wrote:
Lots to see. Pictures of most of 1st day here:

http://www.indoorphin.com/radio/marc_expo2018

Pictures are slow to generate thumbnails because they are too big. Click actual size to zoom in.

Thanks for the great pics! That blue Emerson tombstone and Germa
Radio with the Swasticka grille really peaked my interest!

PostPosted: Jul Sun 15, 2018 3:27 am 

twitter pix of the "Guinness World Record" Record Playing event... it was great fun and thanks to all who participated ! We had 16 players running at once !
https://twitter.com/WWMTsPhotogRay/stat ... rld-record

Mark Oppat
MARC Media volunteer.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 15, 2018 3:49 pm 

This was a great meet - Kudos to the MARC staff and all others. Have to say we were initially apprehensive about an indoor meet, being the flea market rats that we are, especially after attending the very successful meets at Lansing. But this venue is really great. Air conditioned and clean rest rooms and lots of space. Have been coming since the first year.

We sold a good number of items, and bought a few. Got several real bargains and traded a couple of things. And then got to see a number of old friends and met a few new ones.

This meet is on our calendar for next year and it worth the 600 plus mile drive.

Joe and Cliff

PostPosted: Jul Sun 15, 2018 5:01 pm 

oldradioparts wrote:
twitter pix of the "Guinness World Record" Record Playing event... it was great fun and thanks to all who participated ! We had 16 players running at once !
https://twitter.com/WWMTsPhotogRay/stat ... rld-record

Mark Oppat
MARC Media volunteer.

And of course that is the same picture the tv station used and I have a goofy look on my face

PostPosted: Jul Mon 16, 2018 12:10 am 

So many of the pictures are of individual radios, although some very nice ones.

How many individual sellers would you say were there?

http://www.myantiqueradio.com

PostPosted: Jul Mon 16, 2018 1:31 am 

oldradio99 wrote:
So many of the pictures are of individual radios, although some very nice ones.

How many individual sellers would you say were there?

Art, this should help you.
http://www.thevee.org/downloads/Room%20Layouts%20And%20Tables%207-3-2018.pdf

I hadn't been to Michigan since mid 90's and things have changed so much since it might as well have been my first time. The facilities were great. No rain or wind issues, electrical hookups available for some booths, bathrooms and concessions on-site, and cheap camping w/showers on-site for those on a budget. Only downside was too far from a hotel to take a nap break or make private sales. I missed pictures of stuff that sold early because it took me awhile to work my way around and yes I did focus on the stuff not the exhibitors. I took the pictures because (a) I recently bought the camera, (b) I wanted to document stuff so I had a better idea of what to ask for my stuff, and (c) to share so that those who didn't come would see what they missed out on. I figure anything that helps drive more interest in the hobby is a good thing. I drove my wife's Mini intentionally so I wouldn't be tempted to buy anything, but despite my best intentions a few things followed me home. The volunteers did a great job.

If I had to compare Michigan to Radiofest:
Swapmeet: Michigan
Contest: Radiofest
Auction: Radiofest

This was a one day affair for me. Drove 400 miles leaving home about 4:30AM and returned about 9:30PM.

One additional thing I did notice was an effort to attract the audio crowd. There was one album vendor and I saw 45's and music videos also being sold by a few exhibitors. Consoles and 1920's sets are dead. Hi-Fi is alive.