Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 15, 2017 1:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: a question about a suggested change to Charlotte meet
PostPosted: Sep Sat 09, 2017 5:06 am 

Location: Radio Heaven, North Carolina, near Charlotte, 28106-3015
It has been suggested that we change the Antique Radio Charlotte schedule
to have the flea market run all day Friday and Saturday morning and the
auction be on Saturday afternoon.
I would like to hear from those that have attended the event before
about how this would change your opinion and plans for attending
the 2018 meet?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: a question about a suggested change to Charlotte meet
PostPosted: Sep Wed 13, 2017 12:19 am 
Site Admin

What is it currently?

Post subject: Re: a question about a suggested change to Charlotte meet
PostPosted: Sep Fri 29, 2017 2:35 pm 

If the intention for the proposed change is to influence folks to stay through all the Saturday morning flea market in order not to miss the auction, that will “backfire” on you. Your meet’s participation level will surely take a big hit. 90%+ selling and buying activities take place on Friday and I’d venture to say probably well over 40% takes place within the first 2 hours, which is typical of most swap meets. Friday is a full day of buying and selling, Saturday has never been as productive. After a full day Friday, everyone looks forward to the comradery amongst friends at the end of the day, i.e. the auction. We all know it can go on for hours and hours with some leaving before it ends. It can be tiring and we’re simply not as young as we used to be. Move that auction to Saturday afternoon and you’ll destroy the Charlotte swap meet as we know it. Those that come a distance from out of town, such as myself, are ready to head back home usually before noon Saturday to get back to our families and responsibilities. We normally come in town Thursday evening, visit with other collector friends and all of us have lodging for both Thursday and Friday night. Personally, though I like your auction and usually purchase items there, rescheduling the auction to Saturday afternoon would cause many to drive in from out of town Thursday, stay the night and drive back home sometime late Friday afternoon.

While we’re on the subject of how to potentially harm attendance and participation, here’s another thought or so. Publically reprimanding vendors and sellers for not having their tables covered prior the 8AM “Le Mans Start” is degrading to EVERYONE. No, it’s not happened to me, but has to a few vendors I know and several other sellers. Frankly it an embarrassment to everyone in attendance. Maybe time to re-thing Le Mans and policing the place like Barney Fife. With collectors getting older and fewer young people getting into the hobby, regarding swap meets and club events, we all need to come up with ways to make our events more enticing and enjoyable for everyone, vendors, buyers and sellers alike. Remember, it’s not the club members we’re doing this for, it’s for those that come to support the event. Don’t kill the goose that lays the golden eggs!

K4DLM