Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Thu 20, 2018 11:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How to kill radio club events
PostPosted: Mar Tue 13, 2018 4:49 am 

Please do not ignore the business schools at colleges and universities. Radio has been a major industry for a long tine, and the business aspects of the radio industry are quite interesting. I have a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration degree from Washington University in St. Louise, and took many senior / graduate level classes, but not a word about the radio industry was coveted in any of those classes.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 13, 2018 4:44 pm 

Here's a few things I've seen at some of our organization's events that I'd rather not see...

1: Theft. Yes- as much as I hate to say it I we see this more than we care to. We have a number of large events per year where we purge massive quantities of stuff, often at cheap prices but even so we've had radios, parts and other stuff walk off. We even had one member's motorcycle helmet get stolen- which was a shame as he'd just bought it. Whats almost worse is when folks will come along and ruin radios for sale by taking their knobs and tubes. Some people think that just because a radio might need a lot of work that its perfectly fine to strip it for parts-making what was a restorable set now worthless. We've even had knobs and in one instance an escutcheon from a rare Grebe set from the museum diplay area.

2: People making deals prior to the swap meets. We have rules that specifies no selling before the clock strikes 9:00. But this rule seems to be forgotten a lot. In one case a guy showed up with some 20 radios, all in the $5-$10 range and the guy setting up next to him more or less talked to him right before it was time to sell and bought all of them. This ruins it for other collectors whom might have wanted to have a chance to buy a set or two.

3: People who haggle at even the dirt-cheapest prices. As in if something is prices for $1 they'll ask if you'll take 50 cents or whatever.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 02, 2018 5:38 pm 

I attended one radio meet years ago in Hartford , Ct. in a parking lot. My opinion was a show and tell with dealer prices high on the collectable items. One dealer on a cathedral said the prices are whats on them. Wasn't interested in talking and left, last one I went to. I always have other important things to do. I've been to Elephants Trunk flea market in Milford, didn't buy anything, been to Brimfield and that's become a furniture market, radios must all be on CL or Ebay.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 02, 2018 6:35 pm 

"hoffies," that is unfortunate, but all events are not the same. There are always good radios to buy at SCARS and CHRS swap meets. I also saw plenty of them at the swap meets in the Detroit, Michigan area and Rochester, New York area we attended. It is nice meeting and talking with the others who attend. These forums are certainly useful, but face to face will always be good.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 26, 2018 1:58 am 

It was "hobby day" at work, and a small group of us gave lunchtime presentations on our hobbies. After giving my ten minutes, with illustrations and a table radio to show, a 45 year old asked me, "What's a tube radio?"

PostPosted: Apr Thu 26, 2018 5:01 am 

Wonderful news for SCARS - the two day annual event is being relocated to the Green Dragon Taven & Museum! It is a wonderful facility with a museum of early American documents, a fine coffee shop, a good restaurant, state of the art meeting rooms and a huge parking lot, and it is next to a renovated motel. Here is their web site: https://greendragontavernca.com/