Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 14, 2017 5:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How to kill radio club events
PostPosted: Nov Fri 24, 2017 3:26 pm 

Quote:
I think the larger issue is declining numbers of people interested in antique radios. I know lots of younger people collecting things, but it's stuff like early video games, and Legos.

+1
Next time you go to an event, try to figure the average age of the participants; not enough young people to pick up the torch.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 24, 2017 8:55 pm 

SmoothOscillator wrote:
Quote:
I think the larger issue is declining numbers of people interested in antique radios. I know lots of younger people collecting things, but it's stuff like early video games, and Legos.

+1
Next time you go to an event, try to figure the average age of the participants; not enough young people to pick up the torch.

Boy ain't that the truth. The last couple of SCARS meets I've gone to, had primarily grey or bald heads. Average age? Maybe 65. I mean, I felt right at home, in my age group, but there were virtually no youngsters (under 30).

Whether we like it or not, it is a diminishing hobby, probably losing easily as many collectors as it gains, if not more so, as time passes. Still, there will always be some to carry things on. This board has some teenage members, and I believe a few even younger.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 24, 2017 11:19 pm 

Supply and demand may lead to an increase in the number of collectors after both the number of collectors and radio prices hit a bottom. I will be 70 ten years from now, so wonder what I will still want to buy.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 25, 2017 12:58 am 

Flinx wrote:
require that only club members can sell is another way to limit attendance. Some people have radios to sell but don't want to join a club. like me, the local radio club (there's only one) only lets members sell. Their swap meets are anemic to say the least, sometimes only 3 or 4 sellers show up.

Then make it a rule that you have to be a member to bid on the Auction Items. Been a member for a year, probably wont renew.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 26, 2017 9:17 pm 

3, don't forget swaps are for the benefit of *collectors*, not just for
clubs, museums or your local charity. Not that these organizations
cannot benefit but they absolutely won't if collectors/buyers don't
get good deals that keep them coming back. The absolute worst
thing to do is explain away high prices by saying "its for the benefit
of the club". That gets old real fast.

This is exactly why I only travel to Alameda once a year.When it was at the old KRE sight it was about folks getting good deals on old radios that were given/donated to the museum and I used to go to every single meet.Now it's all about money.I'm not the only one that got turned off by that.I see many of the other used-to-be-regular buyers walking out empty handed,including me.I can't even remember that last time I bought a radio there....used to buy them by the car-load.

I can see the need for the money what with them buying a $1.2 million dollar building that needs $1 million in repairs.
Phil

PostPosted: Nov Sun 26, 2017 9:20 pm 

jbrill1976 wrote:
Flinx wrote:
require that only club members can sell is another way to limit attendance. Some people have radios to sell but don't want to join a club. like me, the local radio club (there's only one) only lets members sell. Their swap meets are anemic to say the least, sometimes only 3 or 4 sellers show up.

Then make it a rule that you have to be a member to bid on the Auction Items. Been a member for a year, probably wont renew.

Or worse yet-charge the potential bidders $5 to bid!

That's what happens here and yet another reason I don't buy any more....
Phil

PostPosted: Nov Sun 26, 2017 11:01 pm 

fifties wrote:
SmoothOscillator wrote:
Quote:

+1

Boy ain't that the truth. The last couple of SCARS meets I've gone to, had primarily grey or bald heads. Average age? Maybe 65. I mean, I felt right at home, in my age group, but there were virtually no youngsters (under 30).

Whether we like it or not, it is a diminishing hobby, probably losing easily as many collectors as it gains, if not more so, as time passes. Still, there will always be some to carry things on. This board has some teenage members, and I believe a few even younger.

It is a generational thing; people tend to be the most interested in things they grew up with.

I am a little different, as almost all of my interests come from before my time.

I am 23 and I don't see many people my age interested into antique radios or anything from that time period actually.

I find antique radios fascinating and I am learning more about circuitry and restoration techniques over time.

College is taking up all of my time, but I have been on the forums and seeing what valuable information I can find (and there is lots here!)

I went to the most recent antique radio show and sale in my area and found that I was the youngest there.

Once I graduate college, I hope to have time to start restoring a few radios that I picked up since high school. For now though, they will stay on the shelf ( I haven't plugged any of them in; I want to avoid burning up the radio or giving me a "shocking" surprise!)

I just want to say though, this forum makes understanding radio repair and restoration much easier with all of the information I find here. Thanks for sharing your expertise!

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 12:32 am 

analog junk collector wrote:
fifties wrote:
SmoothOscillator wrote:

+1

It is a generational thing; people tend to be the most interested in things they grew up with.

I am a little different, as almost all of my interests come from before my time.

Yes, many folks are attached to what was current when they were growing up, but not everyone is like that. I doubt that even this board has many members who grew up in the '20's - '30's era; maybe some, but not many. The majority of collectors would be like you, interested in tech from a previous time. I grew up in the '40's - '60's, but I love sets from the '30's/early '40's.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 2:25 am 

My guess would be that younger people aren't interested because they don't even know that such things exist. For example, check some of the ridiculous descriptions people give things on ebay for stuff they inherited.

Part of the problem is that those who are interested (like us) usually don't make any effort to attract younger people. For example, check the threads here about how stupid young people are. How can we expect them to be interested in something they have never seen? And why should they pay any attention when they are insulted?

To help fix this problem, when clubs have a meet it should be ADVERTISED. This doesn't mean on the club web site or on some over all organization like ARF or ARRL. That's important but it is also preaching to the choir. Ads need to be in generally noticed places, such as the city's "what's happening here" web site. There need to be booths explaining and demonstrating the hobby at county and state fairs (difficult because this requires a large number of people to staff it), public service announcements on radio and TV, and other similar places.

News tends to be sparse on weekends, so perhaps the local paper or TV news would like to do a human interest piece on what goes on at a meet. This would be after the fact but it would raise public awareness.

Any club of reasonable size probably has someone who knows how to do these things. Let them do it and the rest of us need to support them.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 4:25 am 

I'm 41 and I'm usually the youngest at meets that I have attended unless a seller brings their kids along. That is how I started, my dad is a collector and spend my childhood going to meets and every weekend going to flea markets or antique malls looking for radios. It's a funny thing though as when I was a kid radios were plentiful at stores but now you rarely see them. So where did they all Go?

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 5:59 pm 

i reluctantly went to my first radio swap meet in august i believe. a tri state radio meet north of pittsburgh. the venue was a dump. the place stunk like kielbasa. buy what was most shocking, i arrived there at 11.30 and most of the vendors had left or were in the process of packing up?

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 6:15 pm 

bullseyeguyz wrote:
when I was a kid radios were plentiful at stores but now you rarely see them. So where did they all Go?

People sell what people buy. No one is buying radios. everything is on your phone, in some cases even FM radio. What is being sold is cheap chinesium junk.

Most people get in to hobbies out of nostalgia. the last 2 generations have no nostalgia for radios, because they did not use them.

30 or 40 years from now there will be forums devoted to getting old cell phones, raspberry pies, arduinos, and video game consoles restored and working. in 100 or 200 years most radios (as we know them) will only exist in museums, or the hands of a few rabid collectors.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 2:39 am 

Carnegiebeer,

My radio club swap meets are usually scheduled to start around 7:00 AM. Frequently, they unofficially start around 6:00 AM. I assumed that was because it was quite hot here in Southern California in the summertime. But those times seem to be in effect year round. I'm only guessing, but I suspect these early times happen for other radio clubs as well. Early bird gets the worm, I guess.

Tom

PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 4:22 am 

Flinx wrote:
bullseyeguyz wrote:
when I was a kid radios were plentiful at stores but now you rarely see them. So where did they all Go?

People sell what people buy. No one is buying radios. everything is on your phone, in some cases even FM radio. What is being sold is cheap chinesium junk.

Most people get in to hobbies out of nostalgia. the last 2 generations have no nostalgia for radios, because they did not use them.

30 or 40 years from now there will be forums devoted to getting old cell phones, raspberry pies, arduinos, and video game consoles restored and working. in 100 or 200 years most radios (as we know them) will only exist in museums, or the hands of a few rabid collectors.

Totally agree, think about it , the only time that people use radio now is in their cars and even then it's not a given considering electronic music formats. It's truly amazing how far humans have come in the last century in terms of electronics.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 5:50 am 

Tommgb wrote:

My radio club swap meets are usually scheduled to start around 7:00 AM.

What club is it, and where do they hold their meets at? I'd like to go sometime.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 6:07 am 

At most of the meets I go to the sellers start packing up around 10. At the bigger meets some might stay longer. But if you want to see everything, you have to get there early. On the other hand, staying late is when you can get the stuff that they don't want to take home again. That could be some non-mainstream boat anchors, boxes of VERY dirty tubes, heavy transformers, etc. I've gotten all of those, sometimes free, frequently almost free.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 6:51 pm 

fifties,

My radio club is SCARS, the Southern California Antique Radio Society. http://www.antiqueradios.org

Tom

PostPosted: Nov Thu 30, 2017 10:09 am 

Donuts. Got to have donuts!!

K4DLM

PostPosted: Nov Thu 30, 2017 3:59 pm 

SmoothOscillator wrote:
Quote:

+1

Also need to be friendly to the younger people, when they do join or show up. I'm 34 now and when I went to join several years back, they never even acknowledged me. More to it than just that and I'm not going to go into full detail about it. I ended up trying it again, this past year. So far it has seem to be better.

One other thing, about our local club, is that all they do is 3 to 4 swap meets a year. That is it. The swap meets are good, but would be nice to go to something than just a swap meet.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 1:11 am 

While stumbling for info on a Thompson Nutrodyne I just got, I found this thread and feel the need to chime in.

I ran the Miami Hamfest for 2 years and was part of the decision making team for a few years. I'll tell you what's killing hobbies like ours (not in any particular order).

1) cost of venue - You folks out away from major cities can get venues fairly cheap but it's impossible to host small shows in major cities. The last hamfest I ran at a fairgorunds they charged us $18k for 2 day rental of a building. We literally got nickel and dimed to death. This translated into $40 tables which nobody wanted to pay (can't blame them).

2) A whole generation of "can't fix anything" has been unleashed upon us. As a vocational instructor I see this on a daily basis. Even basic hand tools seem to be daunting. Shop classes have been pulled from public schools out of fear kids might get hurt, well they are, mentally.

3) What's with this 7AM crap?!?!? Be there by o'dark thirty and it's all over by 11AM?!?!? No wonder no new blood discovers this hobby or the ham radio hobby. A big chunk of society does not have dinner at 4pm folks.

4) A lack of affordable SMALL venues - Once again, you folks away from the big cities don't have this issue but in a place like Miami (where I'm at), you can forget trying to have a small show. Seems to be like this in all major cities. The headphone guys have come up with a neat solution to this small venue problem though, they just rent a big hotel room and haul all their gear in. This may not work for the radio crowd but renting out a parking lot could be viable.

5) A lack of "Elmers" - I take any chance I get to talk about my ham radio / tube audio / antique radio hobby. Not only has this proven to be fruitful in the "I have this old radio I don't want" department but is also opens up the door for an interested person to ask questions.