Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Thu 19, 2018 3:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: MARC Winter Vintage Electronics Expo-GREAT success ! (1
PostPosted: Jan Mon 29, 2018 3:13 pm 

Cool stuff, eh??? 8)

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 12:02 am 

Had a good time, great swap meet. Got there at 10 and had to park in the outer reaches of the parking lot. Bought a few things, won a silent auction item. Already looking forward to Kalamazoo. Kudos and thanks to all who volunteer and work so hard to put it together.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 12:53 am 

vinyl master wrote:
Cool stuff, eh??? 8)

Yup- thanks for the pix.... you too Mark.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 5:32 pm 

What was the fee for the "Early Bird Buyers", and how many people paid it?

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 7:16 pm 

wiscojim wrote:
What was the fee for the "Early Bird Buyers", and how many people paid it?

It was $10 ($5 more than the $5 gen admission )this year by mistake, its supposed to be the same as a table rental and tables this year were $25 for the first one , $10 for each extra. The idea with the "early buyers" charge started years ago to keep folks from buying a table space to get in with the dealers but then they didnt occupy the table to sell, they left it open. This ate up seller tables and also made the show look empty. So, many years ago, MARC created the "early buyers" fee but we forgot to change it to match the first table and sellers entry fee. This will be changed next year to at least $25 I think but the MARC board has to approve it. There were 76 "early buyers" this year.
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 8:16 pm 

I often do the $10 early bird (this year I did not). The only bad thing with your idea of raising it to same price as a table, the original problem is going to come back to haunt you. I would definitely rather do a table for $25 and have a place to sit and relax, drop off my coat and purchases vs. $25 just to get in early. You have to make some sort of incentive or value to have buyers do JUST the early bird and not take up a table. I think think the $5, $10 and $25 prices work great and does not seem like the club is hurting for the extra funds. Don't get greedy just because something is becoming successful.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 8:35 pm 

bastardbus wrote:
I often do the $10 early bird (this year I did not). The only bad thing with your idea of raising it to same price as a table, the original problem is going to come back to haunt you. I would definitely rather do a table for $25 and have a place to sit and relax, drop off my coat and purchases vs. $25 just to get in early. You have to make some sort of incentive or value to have buyers do JUST the early bird and not take up a table. I think think the $5, $10 and $25 prices work great and does not seem like the club is hurting for the extra funds. Don't get greedy just because something is becoming successful.

Its not the greed, its trying to keep so many folks from annoying the sellers who are trying to get set up ! Also they are in the way, digging in boxes etc. With the room set up much tighter than in the past, its a problem.
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 8:44 pm 

oldradioparts wrote:
With the room set up much tighter than in the past, its a problem.
Mark Oppat

The Winter show seems to be growing....any thoughts about a larger venue ?

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 10:29 pm 

Dennis Wess wrote:
oldradioparts wrote:
With the room set up much tighter than in the past, its a problem.
Mark Oppat

The Winter show seems to be growing....any thoughts about a larger venue ?

Would love to find a place with better load in access that would allow us to have a full lunch set up or a food truck. All the larger places we have found were catering/meeting halls such as Novi Expo Center, Laurel Manor, Burton Manor, etc, and they were a LOT more $$. Its possible we could grow into that kind of space now... thats a big leap however.
So, any ideas are welcome! I think we have about 15,000 SF now total. All the record shows, train shows, coin shows are in smaller venues or in many rooms. Those folks have smaller items to move so having multiple rooms is ok for them, not so much for us. Also, good lighting, PA, AC power and ideally having tables on site would be a big plus. We have to rent the tables and pay a Scout troup to set them up and tear them down. That's all nice stuff we have at the Kalamazoo Expo Center by the way which makes that show so much easier on the MARC Board. So far, no such place has been found in the Detroit Metro area.
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 10:54 pm 

oldradioparts wrote:
bastardbus wrote:

Its not the greed, its trying to keep so many folks from annoying the sellers who are trying to get set up ! Also they are in the way, digging in boxes etc. With the room set up much tighter than in the past, its a problem.
Mark Oppat

If the problem is that the early birds disrupt things, don't let them in at any price. If you see that someone has bought a table just to get in early, ban them from buying any tables in the future.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 11:09 pm 

wiscojim wrote:
If the problem is that the early birds disrupt things, don't let them in at any price. If you see that someone has bought a table just to get in early, ban them from buying any tables in the future.

Jim, I agree that would have been my preference but now that this tradition has been started, its hard to change. You know, folks in any hobby hate change and can get very grumpy if you do anything different than "the way its always been".
Such happened when we moved Extravaganza to Kzoo, but, as we go on we are getting more sellers back and new ones each year luckily, as they discover how nice the place is. That show is 1 hr closer to the Chicago crowd even, and they are still slow in re-discovering it.
I just checked the "Suburban Collection Showplace" (I hate the name, it used to be called "The Novi Expo Center" ) and its a HUGE place, the smallest room is 64K sq ft, they want $12K for that room for one day ! Not going there !
Seems we are at an awkward stage... there are few places in the 15K-20K size that are not banquet halls where they have catering mins to meet.
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Jan Wed 31, 2018 2:30 am 

Mark, did the board ever consider the MBT Expo Center located at the Monroe County Fairgrounds? Their big building is 27,000 square feet inside which is probably larger than the main room at Kalamazoo, and it's not far from Detroit being about 15 minutes off I-75 or US 23 on M 50. Very easy loading in and out with several access doors on two sides of the building. That building has far more space in it than the two rooms we currently rent at the Costick center, and there is usually a food setup in one corner of the space which is probably leased to a subcontractor.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 31, 2018 10:17 am 

Mr. Detrola wrote:
Mark, did the board ever consider the MBT Expo Center located at the Monroe County Fairgrounds? Their big building is 27,000 square feet inside which is probably larger than the main room at Kalamazoo, and it's not far from Detroit being about 15 minutes off I-75 or US 23 on M 50. Very easy loading in and out with several access doors on two sides of the building. That building has far more space in it than the two rooms we currently rent at the Costick center, and there is usually a food setup in one corner of the space which is probably leased to a subcontractor.

We never heard of it, but oddly enough I found it on Google maps earlier today and thought... HUH, why have I never heard of this place? One thing I see is an issue... I count only about 130 paved parking spaces there, where at Costick the front lot is 230 and there were folks complaining they couldnt find a spot. The side lot at Costick on the East side has another 100 (not sure how full that was) and west of Costick is another small lot with about 35 spaces, so a total of about 360 spaces. MBT is way less, I see about 130 paved around the building. There seems to be a grass area to the east but that may not be very good in winter either. Another issue is location. Its not as central to as large a population and is not as central to the "hipster" populations of Royal Oak and Ferndale where we think a lot of our potential is. Its VERY rural around there.
Near as I can figure, we have about 15K sf of space at Costick but Jeff Lilly is going to check on that.
Its worth a look, though. Any ideas of cost on the place and does it have good lighting, bathrooms, AC power and such? Wheelchair / smooth load in?
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Jan Wed 31, 2018 2:33 pm 

Good bathrooms, flat load in access no steps or ramps, AC power at least around the outside perimeter walls, parking lots in front of and behind the building are paved. They do park thousands of cars on the grass during the annual county fair, I'm sure they would have a count for the exact number of paved spaces. The surrounding area is not quite rural, that starts just west of there. It's pretty much built up along M 50 from Monroe all the way out to the fairgrounds. I'd say it's about equal to the location of the Kalamazoo facility. I have no idea what it rents for but you could call them or email them to get details. Can't be terribly expensive because they rent it quite often for various events. Agree about being further away from the populated areas, you can't do much better than Farmington for being in the middle of high population.

Also community colleges and high schools often rent out their buildings for non-profit meets, the hamfests in Livonia, Southfield, and many other communities were often held in schools years ago. Might be limited only to the lunchroom and the hallways, but that should be more than enough space for our needs.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 31, 2018 3:40 pm 

What about the Expo Center at Macomb Community College?

https://www.macomb.edu/community/confer ... enter.html

PostPosted: Jan Wed 31, 2018 7:42 pm 

Probably know the answer to this already.

But the Costick center where this show is now has a lot of green lawn area. Could overflow parking extend to it a little bit?

Mark Mokris

PostPosted: Jan Wed 31, 2018 7:57 pm 

markmoke wrote:
But the Costick center where this show is now has a lot of green lawn area. Could overflow parking extend to it a little bit?

Mark Mokris
That may help with parking, but if each year they get bigger as Mark claims, then the selling space is already outgrown. They have to find a new location.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 31, 2018 8:31 pm 

Just so you know, Mark...and guys...I love it at the Costick Center! Sure, there could be improvements, more amenities, etc., but it's easy to get to from many counties and is in a nice location...The building looks as vintage as some of the radios! There's a certain charm to it and a lot of parking! I've gone to the last two events in Farmington and each time, they seem to get better! I think the vinyl resurgence as well as people just getting into vintage, cool stuff generally is helping to fuel the event and the size of the crowds...I heard it was a record number this year!

If the building was more out-of-the-way and away from the major thoroughfares, it might attract less visitors than if it was a building in plain sight, too...I don't know about the others here, but I think the event seems to be doing well where it is...And the people keep coming, so that's a good thing!

Congratulations, too, and thanks to everyone who put on a great show this year! I met quite a few vendors, picked up a few "prized items" and had a fantastic time!

I can say that there are other folks around the country and even, the world, who WISH they had a fun expo like this where they live! We should be so fortunate!

PostPosted: Feb Thu 01, 2018 4:51 am 

The Costick Center show rocks...it is successful because it is one day, in a good location, nice venue and close to everyone. You sell out spots one year (mind you there was half dozen empty tables in the back) and you are talking about moving it already?

Lord almighty... :roll:

PostPosted: Feb Thu 01, 2018 5:38 am 

There are quite a few other rooms down the hallway at Costick which could be had in addition to the main room and the gym, the issue with doing that is it may be difficult to get everyone attending to take a walk down the hall to view the stuff set up in those rooms. If the exit doors from the main room and gym are left closed to keep unpaid people from entering those areas, then it would be quite a long walk from the main entrance back to the other new areas.

Signs, even large ones, may not be good enough to get people's attention. It would require someone personally telling every person as they enter the building that there are three selling areas now,and asking again as they leave if they had been to all three selling areas. I for one would not be interested in setting up in those back rooms because the loading distance from the main entrance is too far and there's no way to guarantee how many people would actually go into that area to look.