Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Thu 19, 2018 3:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: MARC Winter Vintage Electronics Expo-GREAT success ! (1
PostPosted: Feb Thu 01, 2018 6:18 am 

bastardbus wrote:
The Costick Center show rocks...it is successful because it is one day, in a good location, nice venue and close to everyone. You sell out spots one year (mind you there was half dozen empty tables in the back) and you are talking about moving it already?

Lord almighty... :roll:

One thing MARC does well is think ahead. The City of Farmington Hills owns Costick (they got if from the Sisters of Mercy I guess who still have the outer buildings and the back sections). However, nearby Harrison HS got vacated recently and I guess the City is looking to convert that to an Activities Center. Not sure if it would have space for us... so, we are just THINKING now.... what are our options going forward? We have a MARC Board mtg Feb 11, so this will be one of the topics, including picking a contest theme for KZoo and all the stuff we have to plan for there, especially how to punch up the "walk-in" casual collectors in that area. Grand Rapids has a plethora of hipsters now... so we just gotta reach them on social media. I have a really cool idea how, that will be revealed in time.... stay tooned folks....
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Feb Thu 01, 2018 3:16 pm 

My impression is that there is still a little more space in the second room (gym) that we can exploit. The main room was just packed, but if you wanted to get into a slightly thinner crowd, that was in the gym. There were a few empty tables there where vendors didn't show up.

Parking gets scarce if you arrive after 10AM. But maybe a little bit of overflow can park on the lawn?

I don't think the show is quite yet "busting at the seems" to the extent that we need to go to the trouble of moving it to a new venue. And that would involve a another whole set of complications.

However, I saw that Mark mentioned Harrison High. That is literally a mile away. At the right price, that could be perfect.

Maybe if we have a couple more years of continued growth?

The show is a gem!

Mark Mokris

PostPosted: Feb Thu 01, 2018 3:24 pm 

I read about attendance and venders but how were the sales?

PostPosted: Feb Fri 02, 2018 4:05 pm 

The show is just one day out of the year., but....
Just noticed when doing Google Maps for the Costic Center. The Earth view shows "Antique Radio Show" written on the gym roof. Hey you can't give up that advertising!

It's probably just a bad tube or something?
If it has a short, can you make it longer?

PostPosted: Feb Fri 02, 2018 4:40 pm 

RxJoe wrote:
Just noticed when doing Google Maps for the Costic Center. The Earth view shows "Antique Radio Show" written on the gym roof. Hey you can't give up that advertising!

I just checked that out. You're right!

How did Mark Oppat do that?

Mark Mokris

PostPosted: Feb Fri 02, 2018 4:43 pm 

markmoke wrote:
RxJoe wrote:

I just checked that out. You're right!

How did Mark Oppat do that?

Mark Mokris

I was told that Mark and Leann were up all night on the roof the night before the satellite was scheduled to photograph that area of Michigan. :shock:

At one time if you Googled that location, Antique Radio Show also came up in the text description of the facility, before you ever went to the maps.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 02, 2018 7:48 pm 

bullseyeguyz wrote:

I sold well and I know Jeff Lilly did well as he was in my area. The Silent Auction has really become a big hit, too.
I think our job as event promoters is to provide a nice space that is well lit, comfortable, has AC power access, and a large parade of interested attendees at a reasonable price to the vendor. I dont think any vendor there could say we did not do all that. And, extremely well in the last few years.
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 5:43 am 

oldradioparts wrote:
bullseyeguyz wrote:

I sold well and I know Jeff Lilly did well as he was in my area. The Silent Auction has really become a big hit, too.
I think our job as event promoters is to provide a nice space that is well lit, comfortable, has AC power access, and a large parade of interested attendees at a reasonable price to the vendor. I dont think any vendor there could say we did not do all that. And, extremely well in the last few years.
Mark Oppat

As the marketer for the show I can see your view point.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 2:18 am 

Mr. Detrola wrote:
There are quite a few other rooms down the hallway at Costick which could be had in addition to the main room and the gym, the issue with doing that is it may be difficult to get everyone attending to take a walk down the hall to view the stuff set up in those rooms. If the exit doors from the main room and gym are left closed to keep unpaid people from entering those areas, then it would be quite a long walk from the main entrance back to the other new areas.

Signs, even large ones, may not be good enough to get people's attention. It would require someone personally telling every person as they enter the building that there are three selling areas now,and asking again as they leave if they had been to all three selling areas. I for one would not be interested in setting up in those back rooms because the loading distance from the main entrance is too far and there's no way to guarantee how many people would actually go into that area to look.

My personal belief is once a buyer knows there are other rooms with vendors, they will make a beeline to that room to see what is there.
I don't think that will be a problem. Signs and letting people know will work well. To quote a popular movie… "If you build it, they will come" :D

I noticed the Costic center is much larger than what we were using, I don't see any reason to move if there is still room available for parking and vendors.

As for the early-bird entry. Personally, I try to keep out of the way of setup. I know, I mess up once in a while, but I am conscious of what is going on.
It is also easier to see stuff as it hasn't gotten crowded yet. By the time things got rolling, there were many times I could not get down a row because it was full.

Using additional rooms would really help make the aisles wider.
Just my 2 cents :)

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 9:43 am 

Dennis said...
"There are quite a few other rooms down the hallway at Costick which could be had in addition to the main room and the gym"...

Not "quite a few" only two of any sized (Conway and Wexford halls). Also, they have been in use (by others) occasionally during our show as we thought about doing seminars in them. so we'd have to reserve them in advance.

I dont see us moving for a few years but those 2 rooms could maybe be used, who knows. That idea is in the mix. I would think any seller placed in there would gripe at us for not being in one of the "main rooms". As it was, the Gym used to be a place fewer went in, now its a preferred location for larger sellers as its easier load in, better lighting and easier to push carts over wood floor. 6-8 tables left open by a vendor not showing up was a gap we could have probably filled had we known they were not coming. I think a few vendors did not come as they hadnt reserved in advance and we told them it was 'first come" at the door for tables.
Hopefully weather next year is just a little worse, it was so nice out this year that we had a sharper drop off at 1:30 than last year, probably due to folks wanting to get back out in the sunny winter day that was above 40 degrees !
Mark Oppat

Post subject: MARC Winter Vintage Electronics Expo GREAT success 1/27
PostPosted: Apr Thu 12, 2018 8:57 pm 

Interesting. Never been to an RC Expo. Ill start looking into that.