Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Thu 23, 2017 3:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Is this Rare?
PostPosted: Jul Sat 08, 2017 12:03 am 

OK what am I missing ? is grey a rare color for a plastic 7" reel?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Grey-Em ... SwXetZVqJ-

Post subject: Re: Is this Rare?
PostPosted: Jul Sat 08, 2017 12:54 am 

That is just insane!

PostPosted: Jul Sat 08, 2017 1:05 am 

See the additional auction thumbs? Aluminum reels are going nuts!

Wow, I won't pass these by at yard and rummage sales anymore.

Chas

PostPosted: Jul Sat 08, 2017 2:05 am 

hello guys,
that is nuts I guess I will start selling old junk on ebay again people are making way to much money because why else would pay $60. for $2.00 dollar item

PostPosted: Jul Sun 09, 2017 8:38 pm 

Yep...I've known this for quite a while. Besides some audiofoolitry going on it could also be for "retro" styled decoration for say a TV room for those with more money than brains. :D

PostPosted: Jul Fri 21, 2017 4:41 pm 

Rediculous!

I know what I need to do now.... I need to go over in my junk pile and dig out a box that has been laying there for the last 20 years or so. It has a dozen or so Shamrock Brand tapes that got soaked by water and were ruined. Tape is trash (oxide coating peels off when you attempt to use it) , but I certainly could unwind it and save the Gray Plastic reels....

PostPosted: Jul Sat 22, 2017 1:07 am 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
Oh Lord.

Any serious reel to reel jukie will have THOUSANDS of these.
Mostly you find `em in White-Box or Next-to-Budget tape that doesn't have the four-flange wannbe-Reeves Soundcraft reel design that you get in the budgrt versions.

Most common colors - Frosted Black Frosted Clear and Unfrosted Grey.

But I DO see one reason why it could be a premium - the MADE IN U.S.A. stamp (with the periods). The later ones all say MADE IN USA (no periods) Usa is a town in the North of Japan as well as in the Southeast of China not far from Shanghai - but as previously stated $60 is still nuts.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 24, 2017 9:49 pm 

Chas wrote:
See the additional auction thumbs? Aluminum reels are going nuts!

Wow, I won't pass these by at yard and rummage sales anymore.

Chas

I have seen some really stupid stuff with reels recently A pair of 10" aluminum reels marked TEAC or SONY seem to go for more that the recorders they used to be attached to.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 24, 2017 10:21 pm 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
martin halstead wrote:
I have seen some really stupid stuff with reels recently A pair of 10" aluminum reels marked TEAC or SONY seem to go for more that the recorders they used to be attached to.
I put a pair up for a Three Day Auction for $75 for the PAIR and the guy BEGGED me eighteen hours in if I could PLLLEEASSSEEEEE end the auction early or add a BIN to take $75 for just ONE and OVERNIGHT EXPRESS it to him for ANOTHER FIFTY DOLLARS.

I wrote back `What are you? On the road with a retro band and you're cutting a video on Monday?' He wrote back `Close enough for cigar'. He paid extra for Saturday ONX and SENT AN UBER TO PICK IT UP TO GO TO THE POST OFFICE IN SAN FRANCISCO three hours away to make the 4PM pickup (it was 11AM and the Uber was going to be there in an hour) so it could make the 6PM flight back East.

He got it as promised by 8AM this morning. They go on the soundstage to shoot sometime tonight.

I said BBBBBOOOIINNNGGGGGGGGGG.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 24, 2017 11:10 pm 

Hello
ndiamone
I can see cases like that guy needing one in a hurry stuff like that is just getting hard to buy local in my home town Tacoma Wa. there was broadcast supply store where could go and they would have items like that in stock .
places like that going away the internet has killed a lot local business like that

PostPosted: Jul Tue 25, 2017 10:06 pm 

ndiamone wrote:
martin halstead wrote:
I put a pair up for a Three Day Auction for $75 for the PAIR and the guy BEGGED me eighteen hours in if I could PLLLEEASSSEEEEE end the auction early or add a BIN to take $75 for just ONE and OVERNIGHT EXPRESS it to him for ANOTHER FIFTY DOLLARS.

I wrote back `What are you? On the road with a retro band and you're cutting a video on Monday?' He wrote back `Close enough for cigar'. He paid extra for Saturday ONX and SENT AN UBER TO PICK IT UP TO GO TO THE POST OFFICE IN SAN FRANCISCO three hours away to make the 4PM pickup (it was 11AM and the Uber was going to be there in an hour) so it could make the 6PM flight back East.

He got it as promised by 8AM this morning. They go on the soundstage to shoot sometime tonight.

WOW. Later this year I have to transfer six or seven 10" reels of 1/4 inch Ampex 456 that contain my dreadful old four track band recordings from the 80s. I was going to just throw them away after I was finished ( after all, who wants 30-35 year old tape). Maybe I should just sell the reels!

After a little research, here's my answer: $24 for an empty 456 reel! I seem to remember that the tape was less that $20 a reel when I bought it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEX-10-5-INCH-EMPTY-METAL-REEL-AMPEX-456-GRAND-MASTER-IN-VERY-GOOD-CONDITION-/142453623534?hash=item212ae5caee:g:wc8AAOSwfJJZY~Ba

PostPosted: Aug Sun 13, 2017 2:14 am 

I see these at thrift stores all of the time for a few dollars.

Some people who aren't willing to search will allow themselves to be ripped off for such items.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 27, 2017 3:23 pm 

martin halstead wrote:
ndiamone wrote:
martin halstead wrote:

WOW. Later this year I have to transfer six or seven 10" reels of 1/4 inch Ampex 456 that contain my dreadful old four track band recordings from the 80s. I was going to just throw them away after I was finished ( after all, who wants 30-35 year old tape). Maybe I should just sell the reels!

After a little research, here's my answer: $24 for an empty 456 reel! I seem to remember that the tape was less that $20 a reel when I bought it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEX-10-5-INCH-EMPTY-METAL-REEL-AMPEX-456-GRAND-MASTER-IN-VERY-GOOD-CONDITION-/142453623534?hash=item212ae5caee:g:wc8AAOSwfJJZY~Ba

My advice is to keep them so you still have the originals should anything happen to the copy.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 31, 2017 1:45 am 

Holy crap. I have to start rounding up my empty reels.Got some 10 inch ones too.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 13, 2017 8:27 pm 

I have one of those gray ones...better sell it quick, before someone finds a cache of them and depresses the market. :lol: