Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 16, 2014 10:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Record Cleaning with Titebond II Wood Glue (Picture)
PostPosted: Sep Thu 05, 2013 2:55 am 

I have been getting some 45's in pretty dirty condition lately. After cleaning a few moldy ones with the standard scrubbing methods and solutions I decided to try the wood glue cleaning.

The test record had mold that just would not come out with multiple wet cleaning methods. I coated one side with a fairly heavy but smooth layer of wood glue and let it dry overnight. The next day when I peeled it off the record still had some mold deep in the grooves, but it looked much better.

I'm going to coat it again and see if anything else come out. The sound was improved, but it's still not good enough.

Here is a picture of the particles in the glue taken with my USB Microscope. You can plainly see the dark areas of mold.

I'm not sure this is worth doing on all my dirty records, but it will definitely help save a hard to find classic or favorite.

Attachments:
Untitled 5.jpg
Untitled 5.jpg [ 229.1 KiB | Viewed 1264 times ]

Post subject: Re: Record Cleaning with Titebond II Wood Glue (Picture)
PostPosted: Sep Thu 05, 2013 3:46 am 

I have heard of this method before. However, I would be afraid to try on any of my good records regarding how dirty they were. Also, it seems like you would have to use a lot of glue. Titebond isn't exactly cheap.

I would prefer to use distilled water and a few drops of dawn dish washing liquid.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 05, 2013 3:56 am 

Sax-son wrote:
I have heard of this method before. However, I would be afraid to try on any of my good records regarding how dirty they were. Also, it seems like you would have to use a lot of glue. Titebond isn't exactly cheap.

I would prefer to use distilled water and a few drops of dawn dish washing liquid.

The entire 45 took less than 1/4 once of glue. The 8oz bottle was only $4 and it gets cheaper per ounce as you increase in bottle size. All the glue came off during the peeling process. And I too would only use it on extreme cases where other methods failed.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 06, 2013 2:42 am 

I have heard of being done with something like common white glue, like Elmers. That ought to be cheaper than Titebond I would think. ONe of these days I will have to get the ultrasonic tank out and make a proper suspension method for record cleaning. I tried it with a "junk" 78 once, but with total immersion. That sure cleaned the record but the old label bubbled up in a weird way. I need to suspend the record by the hole and rotate it thru the solution but with the label clear of the liquid I guess.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 07, 2013 12:46 pm 

You might try vinylzyme, works great on record mold.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 20, 2013 9:25 pm 

While cheaper than Titebond II, I've heard Elmer's doesn't work as well. With TB II (specifically, not I or III), it sets overnight to a tough, flexible film that you can peel completely off in one piece. Other glues break up and you have to fight them off a bit at a time. That convenience is worth the modest expense.

Dave

PostPosted: Oct Thu 03, 2013 3:43 am 

I may try it out just to satisfy my own curiosity. A good friend told me he has had great success fixing warped records by putting them between two sheets of glass in the sun for a couple hours and using weights. I may have some good candidates for that as well.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 03, 2013 8:25 pm 

Pressed vinyl has a lot of internal stress, which relaxes when heated. Flattening a bad one is worth a try - what do you have to lose - but don't set your heart on success.

Dave

PostPosted: Oct Tue 15, 2013 3:07 am 

Thanks cdhumiston for the fix! now I got to figure out what to do with my cracked/broken records.