Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Sun 19, 2018 2:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Upcoming Michigan Attraction Featuring Vintage Media
PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 3:35 am 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
The Nostalgia Retailer Group (that buys up names of classic defunct retailers and then sets about putting up attractions based on their flagship locations in the chain's market heyday) has bought up the name to The Chelsea Center near Traverse City and the brand names of many of the iconic stores located therein including Traverse Bay Fudge Company and Holland Tulips Garden Shop.

They have their sights set on Mayfair as well but since that still has a working mall they are finding it a little hard.

One store they are restoring as an attraction only is the twinned Music Galaxy and Movie Galaxy both of which ran pretty much during the disco LP and VHS tape era in entertainment. Opened in 1973 and closed in 1982.

It was sort of the precursor to Sam Goody/Musicland or SunCoast Picture Company. Back then a lot of retailers had ``star'' or ``space'' or ``galaxy'' or ``universe'' in their title to go along with the sci fi craze of the mid 70s.

They are bringing back the horrible bicentennial-era shaded burnt-sienna and shaded avocado color scheme, the caribbean blue electric orange and fire engine green shag carpeting, the crystal mobiles on the walls (made it look like you were walking into a Spencer's Gifts) and the colored-glass pole lights that were all the rage in people's living rooms in the late 50s and early 60s that sort of looked like three lanterns on one pole.

Since its for observation only - they are stocking it with all manner of period VHS and Betamax - and LaserDisc and SelectaVision CED - including working players that demo the format - and doing the same with the music side - sort of like an indoor 70s version of a Ren Faire at the park.

They just paid me $500 for about ten cases of old VHS - most of which are not even period editions - and I'm thinking about letting them buy my 6 cases of LaserDiscs and 4 cases of CEDs since I transferred whatever wasn't already on DVD and I haven't fired my player up since then.

So it should be fun to see what falls out in the wash in a couple years when they are done.