Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 13, 2018 1:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1920's Silient movie with LIVE Wurlitzer Organ!
PostPosted: Sep Sat 15, 2018 11:50 pm 

My local theater, Zeiterion of New Bedford, will be showing the silent movie, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari with the Mighty Wurlitzer played by a member of the Eastern Massachusetts Chapter of The American Theater Organ Society.

This going to be real treat for me, I have only seen/heard such organs played on TV and YouTube.

October 27th 4.00PM, just $7.50 General Admission.

Attachment:
ZeiterionConsole_Large.jpg
ZeiterionConsole_Large.jpg [ 144.2 KiB | Viewed 338 times ]

Chas

Last edited by Chas on Oct Tue 09, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 1920's Silient movie with LIVE Wurlitzer Organ!
PostPosted: Oct Sun 07, 2018 11:05 am 

That's going to be a good time! We have The Riviera Theater here in N. Tonawanda that has been fully restored, and still has it's original Mighty Wurlitzer from 1926 - that was made just about 5 miles away from it! (some interesting reading for organ enthusiasts - https://rivieratheatre.org/about/the-mighty-wurlitzer/) The theater had fallen into serious disrepair over the years, and was taken over by a group of volunteers that did fund drives to raise funds to restore it (as well as doing the restoration) . They have all kinds of shows, concerts and movies now, and I love the silent film/organ concerts. I try to catch them when they come up. I love the way the organ hits notes you don't hear - you FEEL them vibrating YOUR organs!
This is my favorite event, though. A group of us go every year (for the last 6 years), and the group gets bigger every year:

The 10th Annual Big Lebowski Party
Saturday, December 15th 2018 @ 6:30PM

JOIN US FOR THE BIGGEST DUDE EVENT OF THE YEAR!

• COCKTAILS (White Russians, Beer & Wine) – BEGIN AT 6:30pm along with the Mighty WurliTzer.
• LIVE COMEDY – featuring 103.3 The Edge’s Josh Potter (& Friends) - warms up the crowd from 7-8pm.
• MOVIE hits the screen at 8pm.
• BOWLING (2 hours) at Classic Lanes immediately Following the Movie!

PostPosted: Oct Tue 09, 2018 3:50 am 

Here in Muskegon, MI, we have the Buster Keaton Film Festival at the Frauenthal Theater, our 1920's silent era palace, with accompaniment on the theater's original Barton organ. The Buster Keaton Society (the Damfinos) hold it here every year, and every year, I get wrapped up in something else and forget to go! Buster lived here as a child. There is a statue of him outside the Frauenthal-but I think it doesn't represent him as well as the bottom photo does.
Dan Fox

Attachments:
Frauenthal 3.jpg
Frauenthal 3.jpg [ 197.19 KiB | Viewed 350 times ]
Buster-Keaton-Feature-Photo-Muskegon-Statue1.jpg
Buster-Keaton-Feature-Photo-Muskegon-Statue1.jpg [ 158.32 KiB | Viewed 350 times ]
Buster Keaton-The Cameraman.jpg
Buster Keaton-The Cameraman.jpg [ 141.9 KiB | Viewed 350 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Tue 09, 2018 2:41 pm 

I posted an image of the Wurlitzer console at Zeiterion. See the first post.

I have only seen the console from a distance, I'm not sure if it retracts into the floor/wall. I have not noticed it when I have been their for other attractions.

There are lots of images on the web of the Zeiterion, most do not do justice as they were taken with distorted lenses.

As a young man, my optometrist had an office in the building. At that time the theater had been closed for many years. Cultural activity was at an all time low in the city.

Yes, I had seen several movies when it was the STATE. I can't recall now what they were...

https://zeiterion.org/history/

Chas