Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Wed 14, 2018 6:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Apparently the Grammys are not for old folks!
PostPosted: Jan Mon 29, 2018 5:17 pm 

I don't usually watch these type of awards shows but was curious to see if there are any new performers I might like. Not really! The young guy singing Somewhere was about the only performance I didn't mute.

Post subject: Re: Apparently the Grammys are not for old folks!
PostPosted: Jan Mon 29, 2018 5:39 pm 

I generally don't watch the overblown self-congratulatory literal media circuses called award shows.

That said, there is some new music I really do like. The new Weezer album is fantastic. Leon Bridges put out an album a couple years ago that is pretty stellar. Beck's 'Morning Phase' won the Grammy for best album and I really liked that, but that was pretty much a fluke. There's a lot I like, actually.

I'll have to check out 'Somewhere'.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 29, 2018 5:50 pm 

Forgot the guys name! Ben Platt sang Somewhere.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 31, 2018 8:28 pm 

I'm relatively young, and I'd rather watch a blank screen than the Grammys. :roll:

PostPosted: Jan Wed 31, 2018 9:28 pm 

I'd rather watch anything or nothing rather than the following award shows (no particular order)...

Oscar
Emmy
Grammy
Golden Globes
Screen Actors Guild

Why?

Because I don't have much of a stomach for dealing with people who appear to think they are more important than they really are (what I have to say is important because I am an award winning celebrity - despite the fact that they are actually ill informed hypocrites).

Too many of these people's only claim to fame is that they can speak or sing someone else's words in a way that looks like they are being sincere and truthful. What does that make them? Adept at lying for the most part.

Are their exceptions among these groups? Yep, I have seen some in person. These are some truly nice people. I've caught them being courteous, kind, thoughtful, gracious, helpful and thankful when there was no crowd around to notice. Of course they generally don't win awards or even get invited to an award show. Maybe it's because they are not quite as adept at lying as most of the winners are.

I saw a young actress at a booth where she was available to sign autographs. I had no idea who she was. At the time she was not very well known. Two young men in motorized wheel chairs came to her booth. I just watched from a short distance. She absolutely made their day while signing autographs and taking selfies with them. She absolutely went way out of her way to make their experience one to remember. No one else was paying any attention to this. I made it a point to find out and remember her name and try to see any work she does.

I recall another young actor who was in a small venue talking and answering questions about a show he was in. He showed up early and talked with the people coming in before he was even supposed to be there. Then the room filed up and all the seats were occupied as he was starting to talk, but a couple more people came in. He notice them and realized they had no chairs to sit in. He looked around the room and there just were no more seats. But there were a couple of unused chairs on the stage. So he motioned for them to come up front as he grabbed two chairs and carried them down to the people so they could sit right up front. Then he returned to the stage and continued talking. Again, a person who didn't have to do what he did, no one would have expected it, but a truly nice person.

Both of these people won the award that counted with me. They were thoughtful and kind human beings.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Jan Wed 31, 2018 10:13 pm 

I totally agree with you! I remember years ago an up and coming Country recording artist played at our State Fair and he sneaked out the back door of the hotel to leave instead of greeting his fans.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 27, 2018 5:29 pm 

Curtis, you should try out for the Diamondbacks. You just hit one out of the ballpark......

I am also becoming weary of hearing school children, some of whom eat laundry detergent, trying to convince the rest of us that they should be the arbiters of school safety.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 27, 2018 8:36 pm 

electra225 wrote:
Curtis, you should try out for the Diamondbacks. You just hit one out of the ballpark......

I am also becoming weary of hearing school children, some of whom eat laundry detergent, trying to convince the rest of us that they should be the arbiters of school safety.

If you were the one being shot at, wouldn't you want to have some say about it?